U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:57 AM

1,381 posts, read 654,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
So, this will sound crazy but I wonder if:

1. If somehow, OP; you had been living with an elevated antibody response to Lectins.

2. By causing minute sprouting in a red "kidney-like" bean & then thoroughly cooking it before eating it; you could have neutralized your excess antibodies? Like an immunization against antibodies.

"Because we donít digest lectins, we often produce antibodies to them. Almost everyone has antibodies to some dietary lectins in their body. This means our responses vary.

There are some lectins that no one should consume. Ever wonder why you donít see sprouted red kidney beans?

Itís due to phytohaemagglutinin Ė a lectin that can cause red kidney bean poisoning. The poisoning is usually caused by the ingestion of raw, soaked kidney beans.

Raw kidney beans contain from 20,000 to 70,000 lectin units, while fully cooked beans usually contain between 200 and 400 units.

When enough lectins are consumed, it can signal our body to evacuate GI contents."
https://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-lectins

So my train of thought was that if lectin causes evacuation, then suppressed lectin (by antibodies) would cause delayed evacuation.

The increased duration of soaking caused minute sprouting; causing the lectin count to soar exponentially.

Which you deactivated by cooking them well. But the beans still contained very high levels of inactivated lectins (sort of like a vaccine using killed virus) & surely you had an initial antibody response.

I wonder if the sheer number of inactivated lectins could have triggered a broader immune system response, that also wiped out those over-active lectin antibodies in the process?

And now; you have a functional immune response that allows enough lectins to signal "evacuate" but not too much to signal "over-evacuate".

I don't know; I'm not an expert & I'm sure there will be some who will rush to remind me of this right away but it could explain as to why the effect has lasted so long ... If it could even work like that in the first place.
I like your thought process.

Here's another thought about lectins. Sprouting or fermenting is known to reduce lectin to negligible amounts. Lectin is also known to prevent the body from adequately absorbing nutrients, especially those with, or predisposed to, cancer, autoimmune and other chronic diseases. It's possible that by reducing lectin, her body was able to absorb and utilize the high magnesium, iron and potassium in the cranberry beans. She stated that taking magnesium didn't help, but she probably wasn't absorbing it.

People who eat processed foods should be made aware that lectin is added to many of them, even to supplements. Vegetarians and vegans with any health issues should consider that lectin could be preventing their bodies from absorbing nutrients which may wreak havoc on their immune systems. If they are consuming GMO fruits and vegetables, the lectins are even higher in many of those because the genes that were added contain lectin. It helps to avoid focusing too much on one or two food groups. Add in more variety from other groups for a more balanced diet.

stepka, I had the same thought as Submariner wrote upthread --- to repeat the process every now and then. At the very least, you will have the benefit of a good source of magnesium, fiber, iron and potassium - and a meal that you enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 05:34 PM

26,210 posts, read 16,886,256 times
Ok, beans have been soaking since Sat. and I will cook them tonight. I tasted them and they do not taste fermented. House has been 1/2 regular tropical weather and half A/C.

Will not take miralax and metamucil today...

Will report back.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 06-07-2018, 08:40 AM

8,961 posts, read 6,116,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, beans have been soaking since Sat. and I will cook them tonight. I tasted them and they do not taste fermented. House has been 1/2 regular tropical weather and half A/C.

Will report back.
Will be anxious to see how it "goes"..

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:28 PM

9,452 posts, read 16,149,938 times
Quote:

Will report back.
Fingers crossed....

Old 06-07-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Fingers crossed....

Nothing so far.

We are having the beans again tonight.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Nothing so far.

We are having the beans again tonight.
Still no luck? I wish I knew the one thing that probably made this work but it may have been very special circumstances. Thank you for being my first guinea pig...

I might add that I do still get constipated sometimes but the usual things will fix it like drinking more water or adding fiber.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Still no luck? I wish I knew the one thing that probably made this work but it may have been very special circumstances. Thank you for being my first guinea pig...

I might add that I do still get constipated sometimes but the usual things will fix it like drinking more water or adding fiber.

No, nothing came of it.

It was worth a shot! Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
No, nothing came of it.

It was worth a shot! Thanks for sharing.
Dang, I was really really hoping it would help you and that I was onto something. Perhaps you should try again later in hopes that you hit on just the right combo, just as I did. Also, perhaps you could get some cranberry beans, in case that's what it is? I got mine at Walmart but if yours doesn't carry them perhaps order some online? Anyway, I do hope you will keep seeking a solution b/c one is out there.

I had one other thought last night while in Whole Food. I was using aloe vera juice for a few months before the bean experience. It had an immediate effect that was very gratifying but results tapered off. Still it had worked better than anything else previously. Perhaps it "set me up" for success with the beans. I had to stop using it b/c the results were getting too gratifying after the beans lol.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:33 AM

I will order cranberry beans just in case, the whole condition is such a pain in the butt......

I drink a lot of ginger water (I like it) and was adding whole aloe from the yard (vitamix it all and strain), I should continue doing that, stopped for a while.

Back to Miralax and physillium.

PS: DH said it may be co-incidental but he had a change in his movement, so perhaps it is just me....

Old 06-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I will order cranberry beans just in case, the whole condition is such a pain in the butt......

I drink a lot of ginger water (I like it) and was adding whole aloe from the yard (vitamix it all and strain), I should continue doing that, stopped for a while.

Back to Miralax and physillium.

PS: DH said it may be co-incidental but he had a change in his movement, so perhaps it is just me....
Make sure when you use your own aloe that you scrape the part next to the outer leaf...that's the laxative part. The inner jelly is for burns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or