Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 11:24 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

Yes, most of you will probably file this in the realm of TMI and that's ok. This thread is for those for whom the usual "drink more water" or "eat more fiber" advice just doesn't seem to work. Maybe you've been taking expensive probiotics for years with limited results or you try a new thing and it works great...for a week.

I have struggled with all this for my entire life and have eaten up to 50 grams or more a day of fiber, along with all the water you need to slide it on out and...nothing. Ugh. Or, and this really is TMI, I've had to drive to a gas station to use a commercial toilet b/c I knew it would actually flush. Sometimes I'd have to do that for weeks in a row. I've been known to go for a week or more between BMs and all while following the standard advice.

But, I know you're waiting for the sales pitch and there is none. What I did was an accident--it was more than four months ago and I'm finally normal for the first time in my life so I will share.

I was getting ready to cook beans so I put them on to soak that morning. Came home that night and sis invited me out for pizza so I decided to wait till the next day to cook the beans so I changed the water and had the pizza. Next night I came home and there was leftover pizza and we can't let that go to waste so I changed the water again and ate pizza. The next day there are little islands of bubbles on the beans but no mold but I was tired, really tired, so I made a protein smoothie and changed the water again. The next night I looked at the beans and almost tossed them but sniffed them and they smelled fine so I decided to cook them. The soup was delicious and I ate a big bowl. I won't go into detail but I will say that all of my problems are solved now, despite the fact that I haven't had bean soup but once since then.

I mentioned this to my holistic doc and he said that what probably happened is that the beans sprouted and this is really good for the digestive system.

What I did not expect was the long term change. I've had things work for like a week and then go back to what they were, but this was over 4 months ago. I mean it was still cold outside! So, make of it what you will and if you are the kind for whom the standard advice doesn't work, give it a try. Also, if you eat tofu, you can buy a variety that is sprouted, and my daughter, who also inherited my bowel problems and became a vegan, has had no problems since she got on her vegan diet and she eats a lot of sprouted tofu.

As embarrassing as all this is to expose on a public forum, I feel that it may help some to take back control of their health. Please let me know if it works for you or what you've done to solve your issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 11:40 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I too have lived with a history of constipation. But probably in the last 10 yrs or less I've upped my magnesium a lot and then found ox bile to be so helpful. If my bowels don't move for a day I up my mag more and up Vit C too. Glad you found your solution. I don't think I eat anything sprouted and don't touch soy (tofu) but that's me.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I too have lived with a history of constipation. But probably in the last 10 yrs or less I've upped my magnesium a lot and then found ox bile to be so helpful. If my bowels don't move for a day I up my mag more and up Vit C too. Glad you found your solution. I don't think I eat anything sprouted and don't touch soy (tofu) but that's me.
Yes I tried the Mg and massive amounts of vitamin C and even that didn't help. I thought I was stuck with this for life b/c even my holistic health program wasn't fixing it. Oh and I was taking ox bile too.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:57 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, most of you will probably file this in the realm of TMI and that's ok. This thread is for those for whom the usual "drink more water" or "eat more fiber" advice just doesn't seem to work. Maybe you've been taking expensive probiotics for years with limited results or you try a new thing and it works great...for a week.

I have struggled with all this for my entire life and have eaten up to 50 grams or more a day of fiber, along with all the water you need to slide it on out and...nothing. Ugh. Or, and this really is TMI, I've had to drive to a gas station to use a commercial toilet b/c I knew it would actually flush. Sometimes I'd have to do that for weeks in a row. I've been known to go for a week or more between BMs and all while following the standard advice.

But, I know you're waiting for the sales pitch and there is none. What I did was an accident--it was more than four months ago and I'm finally normal for the first time in my life so I will share.

I was getting ready to cook beans so I put them on to soak that morning. Came home that night and sis invited me out for pizza so I decided to wait till the next day to cook the beans so I changed the water and had the pizza. Next night I came home and there was leftover pizza and we can't let that go to waste so I changed the water again and ate pizza. The next day there are little islands of bubbles on the beans but no mold but I was tired, really tired, so I made a protein smoothie and changed the water again. The next night I looked at the beans and almost tossed them but sniffed them and they smelled fine so I decided to cook them. The soup was delicious and I ate a big bowl. I won't go into detail but I will say that all of my problems are solved now, despite the fact that I haven't had bean soup but once since then.

I mentioned this to my holistic doc and he said that what probably happened is that the beans sprouted and this is really good for the digestive system.

What I did not expect was the long term change. I've had things work for like a week and then go back to what they were, but this was over 4 months ago. I mean it was still cold outside! So, make of it what you will and if you are the kind for whom the standard advice doesn't work, give it a try. Also, if you eat tofu, you can buy a variety that is sprouted, and my daughter, who also inherited my bowel problems and became a vegan, has had no problems since she got on her vegan diet and she eats a lot of sprouted tofu.

As embarrassing as all this is to expose on a public forum, I feel that it may help some to take back control of their health. Please let me know if it works for you or what you've done to solve your issues.
I think if I followed that diet, I wouldn't make it home, I'd have to stop in every gas station, every fast food joint, and every store on the way home. Not to mention the number that would do on any possibility of carpooling for a trip.

Glad you found some relief, though.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think if I followed that diet, I wouldn't make it home, I'd have to stop in every gas station, every fast food joint, and every store on the way home. Not to mention the number that would do on any possibility of carpooling for a trip.

Glad you found some relief, though.
LOL, I have no idea what this would do for normal people. Not sure I would want to find out.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:03 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Did you see sprouts, and was there a possibility that they fermented a bit?

For my first half of life, I had IBS which caused me to go multiple times a day, and now I have the opposite spectrum and having a hard time with it.

I would think that fermenting would have the bigger impact as that gives your gut some good bacteria....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-01-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

For my first half of life, I had IBS which caused me to go multiple times a day, and now I have the opposite spectrum and having a hard time with it.

I would think that fermenting would have the bigger impact as that gives your gut some good bacteria....
Fermentation also produces gas as a byproduct.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
LOL, I have no idea what this would do for normal people. Not sure I would want to find out.
Don't think I do either, might be worth a try if someone had problems with severe constipation that haven't been resolved.

That's not me, though, I tend in the other direction, I guess. I recently tried some of those Birdseye frozen veggie/ protein blends, guess it was too much fiber, spent the night in the bathroom.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Don't think I do either, might be worth a try if someone had problems with severe constipation that haven't been resolved.
Those are precisely the folks this thread is for but of course your input in welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I didn't see sprouts but I didn't think to look either. I also believe that it was the fermentation that caused good gut bacteria or the results would not have been so long lasting. Of course I don't think they could sprout without fermenting, though I did rinse them off each day.

Last edited by stepka; 06-01-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 02:29 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Those are precisely the folks this thread is for but of course your input in welcome.

I didn't see sprouts but I didn't think to look either. I also believe that it was the fermentation that caused good gut bacteria or the results would not have been so long lasting. Of course I don't think they could sprout without fermenting, though I did rinse them off each day.
Hmmmm. Thanks for sharing this, I am intrigued.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness