Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 07:33 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times

Advertisements

For most of my 58 years I have been fairly fortunate *knocks wood* to avoid major injuries that have put me on the shelf and which have required lengthy rehabilitation. As a kid I ran my sled into a fence and broke my nose, several sprained ankles, and other niggles that were PIA's but nothing too spectacular.

The two biggest injuries that laid up up for a bit happened after I hit 50.

First, simply stepping of a bench that was not even as high as my knees I heard a pop. I tore my calf muscles, including completely blowing out my plantaris (not the tendon - this runs from behind knee to ankle). I was in a boot for a couple of weeks, and had to waive physical activity for a month+ before getting back into things.

Two years later, on the same leg, I had my most major injury which was a complete Achilles rupture while simply jumping rope. I had surgery, and then it was 9 long and grueling months of rehab which started with wearing a boot for 8 weeks, non weight bearing. I was in PT for around 9 months, and it was such a long process to getting back to being physically active. I have always been active so this was painful emotionally.

What injuries have you dealt with in your lifetime that have required a length of time to get better from and which limited your activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 11:59 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Is that a finger? an ....... ? For some reason the perspective is totally throwing me off.

I have nothing, my husband has tons:

Shoulder surgery X4
Stabbed
Torque the pubis synthesis area

The should surgeries take a long time heal. He is pretty conscientious about going to rehab, and when he is not I am.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-06-2018, 01:14 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,696 times
Knee surgery x3. Current has estimated recovery of 6-12 months or more...
Tore Achilles playing hockey in college

Those were the biggest but I’ve done a slew of others too: broken arm, nose, shin. Dislocated thumb. A head injury.

I played a lot of crazy sports and was a risk taker in my younger years.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:25 PM

695 posts, read 702,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Is that a finger? an ....... ? For some reason the perspective is totally throwing me off.
I'm guessing it's the underside of the foot (plantar injury).

A couple of years ago, I twisted and broke my ankle while tripping over a gutter. Luckily, it wasn't a bad break; however, it put and end to my running for awhile. I wore a boot for nine weeks, and a brace for a couple more. I sat on my butt quite a bit with my foot elevated and put on a few pounds. Fortunately, I was able to gradually start running again.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:07 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,784,846 times
this darn torn meniscus in my left knee rates way up there with the worst and most aggravating pain I've endured recently.
I guess it would be a toss up really because when I had rotator cuff issues in my shoulder, then ended up with frozen shoulder, well that was some heavy duty pain right there.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
At about age 15 I broke a finger laying down a beautiful bunt for a single in Babe Ruth league. Then had to steal second before the coach pulled me out! I got 2 broken arms at age 19 (car accident), and a broken hand at age 54 (Miter saw kickback). A few cuts requiring stitches over the years, mostly fingers but not that stopped me from anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness