U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:03 PM

27,340 posts, read 17,546,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
My dad had polio when young and had to have special shoes his entire life to compensate for one leg being about 3 inches shorter than the other. Why don't orthopedists prescribe something similar for those who've had hip surgery?
They do. My late husband had one leg a little shorter, and they told him he needed custom shoes to help the pain in his hip (OA).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Limb length discrepancy (LLD) is a very common occurrence in the pediatric and adult population. In fact, the majority of individuals have some degree of limb inequality either in structure or function. The average discrepancy is less than 1.1 cm and usually patients easily compensate for this.Apr 22, 2014
Keys To Recognizing And Treating Limb Length Discrepancy ...

https://www.podiatrytoday.com/keys-r...gth-discrepanc

Old 06-11-2018, 08:05 PM

21,396 posts, read 25,996,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
SQ: You have no idea how EVERYONE is after replacements and surgeons will do them regardless of how people turn out...$$$$$ and they know nothing else but this drastic means. Invasive/drastic changes to the body. Please you don't know Everyone's outcome. I've talked to plenty who are living with messes. How many have you personally or online talked to. And no one will ever know until they personally experience the replacement world. No One????!!!

And some may be OK for a while and then down the road things do change and problems crop up.
I did not say everyone. I said, "For the majority of people."

I have given you the information before. Surgeons routinely do surveys to see how their patients are doing. All you have to do is ask them, but you ask everyone who had the surgery, not just the ones who have had problems afterward.

They overwhelmingly are satisfied with their results and would have surgery again if another joint problem made it indicated.

If all you do is visit websites for people who are unhappy with their results you get a very biased viewpoint on satisfaction. If you hunt for people with "messes" you will find people with "messes."

This study is Dutch, so you cannot say it is biased by a US Big Pharm conspiracy:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9d6...ea64e5cc3e.pdf

"The present study showed high quality of life scores, patient satisfaction and willingness to have surgery again at a minimum 10 years after primary THA [total hip] and TKA [total knee]. The willingness to have surgery again and the recommendation of this arthroplasty surgery was higher for THA compared toTKA patients."

It is not necessary to experience the procedure to be able to find out what the level of satisfaction with it is.

By the way, surgeons do the procedures because they improve function and lessen pain for the vast majority who have them done. If all their patients were unhappy, the surgeons would be unhappy and would not do the surgery. They do not do them "regardless of how people turn out."

Old 06-12-2018, 10:07 AM

364 posts, read 187,292 times
I have Celiac & Crohn's. My joint pain started with the Celiac (elbows were the worst), never had much before that. I notice that when I eat healthy and keep my sugar intake low I have much less joint pain. Not sure how it all ties together, but the less pain the better. I'm about 40lbs overweight and have lost 10 already, I'm curious to see how much better my knees will feel once the weight is off.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:54 AM

18,588 posts, read 6,055,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I did not say everyone. I said, "For the majority of people."

I have given you the information before. Surgeons routinely do surveys to see how their patients are doing. All you have to do is ask them, but you ask everyone who had the surgery, not just the ones who have had problems afterward.

They overwhelmingly are satisfied with their results and would have surgery again if another joint problem made it indicated.

If all you do is visit websites for people who are unhappy with their results you get a very biased viewpoint on satisfaction. If you hunt for people with "messes" you will find people with "messes."

This study is Dutch, so you cannot say it is biased by a US Big Pharm conspiracy:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9d6...ea64e5cc3e.pdf

"The present study showed high quality of life scores, patient satisfaction and willingness to have surgery again at a minimum 10 years after primary THA [total hip] and TKA [total knee]. The willingness to have surgery again and the recommendation of this arthroplasty surgery was higher for THA compared toTKA patients."

It is not necessary to experience the procedure to be able to find out what the level of satisfaction with it is.

By the way, surgeons do the procedures because they improve function and lessen pain for the vast majority who have them done. If all their patients were unhappy, the surgeons would be unhappy and would not do the surgery. They do not do them "regardless of how people turn out."
Surgeons continue to do their work regardless of outcomes good and bad. They get both from their work. If they all quit surgery due to bad outcomes, there would be no surgeons doing replacements. They continue on and I believe they have good intentions to do the best, but as I've said many times it's a crap shoot when the body is cut.

I just got a report from a male friend, who as I see it really likes surgery, and he suffers with a knee replacement, shoulder replacement and just reported that he went thru a back surgery and it was a total failure in his words. He lives on medications. I don't think his surgeons quit their surgery business.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:35 AM

4,611 posts, read 10,474,627 times
Quote:
Surgeons continue to do their work regardless of outcomes good and bad. They get both from their work. If they all quit surgery due to bad outcomes, there would be no surgeons doing replacements. They continue on and I believe they have good intentions to do the best, but as I've said many times it's a crap shoot when the body is cut.

I just got a report from a male friend, who as I see it really likes surgery, and he suffers with a knee replacement, shoulder replacement and just reported that he went thru a back surgery and it was a total failure in his words. He lives on medications. I don't think his surgeons quit their surgery business.
Bull crap

Surgeons don’t continue to do their “work” despite outcomes “good” and “bad” and surgery isn’t a “ crapshoot”
Which implies random chance

You continue to spew your unsubstantiated garbage impugning the reputations of highly educated and dedicated professionals

If joint replacement surgery was a “crapshoot “ as you call it then it wouldn’t be performed.....,period

The FACT is joint replacements are overwhelmingly successful and none of your anecdotal nonsense will change that FACT

Old 06-12-2018, 12:02 PM

18,588 posts, read 6,055,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Bull crap

Surgeons don’t continue to do their “work” despite outcomes “good” and “bad” and surgery isn’t a “ crapshoot”
Which implies random chance

You continue to spew your unsubstantiated garbage impugning the reputations of highly educated and dedicated professionals

If joint replacement surgery was a “crapshoot “ as you call it then it wouldn’t be performed.....,period

The FACT is joint replacements are overwhelmingly successful and none of your anecdotal nonsense will change that FACT
So are you saying Many have gone out of business. Not all surgeries are successful. Why do some continue to say this? Do many just refuse to read other stories about the failures? Surgery is a gamble. We know what we live with now, and after the cutting and sewing up, what do we have? A good surprise or a shock.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
So are you saying Many have gone out of business. Not all surgeries are successful. Why do some continue to say this? Do many just refuse to read other stories about the failures? Surgery is a gamble. We know what we live with now, and after the cutting and sewing up, what do we have? A good surprise or a shock.
Because the majority of people are very happy with the outcomes.

If I go to an AA meeting, I shouldn't be surprised at finding a bunch of people who drink, and when you go on the internet you find a bunch of people who complain.

It's just the way it works....

Old 06-12-2018, 01:52 PM

4,611 posts, read 10,474,627 times
Quote:
Why do "some" continue to say that surgery is a gamble or deny that the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of patients who undergo hip replacement surgery are VERY HAPPY with their choice...

Not 40%

Not 50%

Not 75%

Close to 90% in every study ever done....are VERY HAPPY....these aren't "made up" numbers, these aren't ridiculous anecdotes or collections of "stories" from an internet forum

If I sign up for a surgery that I have researched and know that 90% are happy with the choice....how exactly is it a "good surprise" if I get what I expected....a GOOD OUTCOME

You make absolutely no sense...NONE whatsoever

A "gamble" would be betting your life that some ridiculous alternative voodoo nonsense like grape seed extract could actually do ANYTHING for one's health and avoiding actual medical treatment...

Signing up for a surgery with a 90% success rate not so much of a gamble...

Old 06-12-2018, 02:04 PM

13,292 posts, read 7,072,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Why do "some" continue to say that surgery is a gamble or deny that the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of patients who undergo hip replacement surgery are VERY HAPPY with their choice...

Not 40%

Not 50%

Not 75%

Close to 90% in every study ever done....are VERY HAPPY....these aren't "made up" numbers, these aren't ridiculous anecdotes or collections of "stories" from an internet forum

If I sign up for a surgery that I have researched and know that 90% are happy with the choice....how exactly is it a "good surprise" if I get what I expected....a GOOD OUTCOME

You make absolutely no sense...NONE whatsoever

A "gamble" would be betting your life that some ridiculous alternative voodoo nonsense like grape seed extract could actually do ANYTHING for one's health and avoiding actual medical treatment...

Signing up for a surgery with a 90% success rate not so much of a gamble...
In almost every post jaminhealth likes to say "no one really knows" or some variation. If that's what you believe, then yes, everything is a crapshoot and it doesn't really matter what anyone says - it's all just random. That's a very easy way out of any argument - "well, say what you want, but no one REALLY knows!".

You're right, there are very few things that are 100% guaranteed (death and taxes..and maybe that the Earth is round)...but there are a lot of things that are 75%, 85%, 90%, and higher in medicine. If something does not have a decent success rate then insurance won't pay for it because it isn't "cost effective". If you pick a crummy doctor or surgeon your success rate may be less - so sorry if that is the case. But don't blame an entire field if things don't come out perfectly for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness