Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 03:14 PM

3,057 posts, read 1,512,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Wrong on all counts....

While excess weight has definitively been shown to be associated with knee arthritis, "phy sical taxing" of the joints has NOT

Calcium or other deposits in the "tissues" has no bearing on OA

Blood types play NO role in OA

Diabetics have higher risk of developing carpal tunnel, but carpal tunnel is not linked to "sugar" not the same thing...
Physical taxing of the joints is not associated with knee arthritis? I know orthopedists who disagree with that statement. Figure skaters, dancers, certain track and field events have lots of knee problems, women more than men, and yes they can expect to develop knee arthritis at a fairly young age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 03:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,587,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Physical taxing of the joints is not associated with knee arthritis? I know orthopedists who disagree with that statement. Figure skaters, dancers, certain track and field events have lots of knee problems, women more than men, and yes they can expect to develop knee arthritis at a fairly young age.
True, I exercised and danced all my life and I'm paying. Wonder if I had not, where would I be with the joint issues...I'll never know...the if's in life.

Reading stories from athletes...good grief. So many are now seeking alternative treatments for their joints in our country and outside our country.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
True, I exercised and danced all my life and I'm paying. Wonder if I had not, where would I be with the joint issues...I'll never know...the if's in life.

Reading stories from athletes...good grief. So many are now seeking alternative treatments for their joints in our country and outside our country.
Very true Jaminhealth. All sports have their own maladies. But so do couch potatoes. And yes sometimes its surgery and sometimes its supplements and topical pain relieving ointments, and diet too. I just could let the statement go about how physical activity doesnt stress joints.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:59 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,183,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
"Overall, athletes don't have a greater risk for knee osteoarthritis, says researcher Jeffrey Driban, PhD, assistant professor of rheumatology at Tufts Medical Center in Boston.

That's true regardless of whether you participate in recreational or elite-level sports, he tells WebMD.
The researchers found no increased risk of OA with basketball, boxing, cross-country skiing, ice hockey, orienteering, shooting, throwing, and track and field."
https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis...osteoarthritis

Old 06-13-2018, 06:48 AM

7,136 posts, read 4,977,099 times
Quote:
"Overall, athletes don't have a greater risk for knee osteoarthritis, says researcher Jeffrey Driban, PhD, assistant professor of rheumatology at Tufts Medical Center in Boston.

That's true regardless of whether you participate in recreational or elite-level sports, he tells WebMD.
The researchers found no increased risk of OA with basketball, boxing, cross-country skiing, ice hockey, orienteering, shooting, throwing, and track and field."

That article is ambiguous. While the sports you listed don't seem to cause higher rates of OA, others do. More importantly, they apparently define OA as damage to cartilage (chondritis) not bone (arthritis). ??? What's up with that? OA should be defined as joint pain w/wo calcium deposits & deformity on PE, but a raggedly appearing bone surface on x-ray and no appreciable inflammation (red/swollen/warm).

Although the article doesn't provide the info from the actual study, perhaps the study population was self-selecting-- you drop out of the sport early if you develop joint pain and weren't counted. Also, most people don't participate in sports past their 4th decade. They are only active when the body's recuperative ability is good. High mileage problems tend to develop after that age.

Jamin seems to have unreasonable expectations of the medical community. She's apparently 80 y/o. How is she supposed to feel at 80? She forgets that most people who reach their 80th birthday have already been DEAD for 3 yrs. She doesn't appreciate the fact that she's really way ahead of the game.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,587,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
That article is ambiguous. While the sports you listed don't seem to cause higher rates of OA, others do. More importantly, they apparently define OA as damage to cartilage (chondritis) not bone (arthritis). ??? What's up with that? OA should be defined as joint pain w/wo calcium deposits & deformity on PE, but a raggedly appearing bone surface on x-ray and no appreciable inflammation (red/swollen/warm).

Although the article doesn't provide the info from the actual study, perhaps the study population was self-selecting-- you drop out of the sport early if you develop joint pain and weren't counted. Also, most people don't participate in sports past their 4th decade. They are only active when the body's recuperative ability is good. High mileage problems tend to develop after that age.

Jamin seems to have unreasonable expectations of the medical community. She's apparently 80 y/o. How is she supposed to feel at 80? She forgets that most people who reach their 80th birthday have already been DEAD for 3 yrs. She doesn't appreciate the fact that she's really way ahead of the game.
I "get" OA is mostly a health condition of the aging but it does hit many very early in life. I've been dealing and managing for 60 yrs with this stuff. And I also know the replacement I chose to do with hopes of betterment also advanced the arthritis .... but no groin pain.

So I should be happy at 80 and just continue with the walker as I do now.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:44 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,834,835 times
Quote:

Could that be because athletes usually have better-developed musculature supporting the knees?

Old 06-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:

I notice it doesnt mention, figure skating,or dance. Sports that are well known to produce knee problems and early arthritis. Some of the best sport orthopedists in the world reside in Boston. Ones that have received many awards for treating dancers and figure skaters. Mostly female sports that alot of drs dont care about. And Tufts should know better.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I "get" OA is mostly a health condition of the aging but it does hit many very early in life. I've been dealing and managing for 60 yrs with this stuff. And I also know the replacement I chose to do with hopes of betterment also advanced the arthritis .... but no groin pain.

So I should be happy at 80 and just continue with the walker as I do now.
According to the post you were responding to, I guess not being dead should be good enough. I dont know where some of these people get this stuff from.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Could that be because athletes usually have better-developed musculature supporting the knees?
While muscles are necessary, jumping into the air, rotating 3x, coming down on a blade that isnt a 1/4 in wide on a hard slipperly surface, doesnt help the structure of the knee because its the knee that absorbs the shock. It takes its toll afterwhile. Ditto with ballet dancers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness