Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 01:09 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,540,329 times

Advertisements

“Jamin seems to have unreasonable expectations of the medical community. She's apparently 80 y/o. How is she supposed to feel at 80? She forgets that most people who reach their 80th birthday have already been DEAD for 3 yrs. She doesn't appreciate the fact that she's really way ahead of the game.”

I just cant get over this one. What country are we in? Do you think everyone retires to their rocking chair when they reach 65? We sure run in different circles. Women I know in their 60s, 70s, and 80s, are stiill riding, training, teaching, and showing their horses. Cleaning stalls, toting bags of grain and hay, driving a truck pulling their horse trailer. They own and run farms. They ache alot and muscle and joint stiffness is commonplace. Knee and hip replacements are common. And they still ride etc. they arent dead until they are dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321533.php

I think this is true.
  • a few years back I had hurt my feet and I just could not get it to be fixed at all. At the time I was eating horribly. Finally I decided to go on a low fat / liquid diet and almost immediately, the pain stopped. I thought it was because I had lost weight but honestly I had only lost about 10 lbs when the pain stopped.
  • I know a healthy living blogger who has said for years when she cheats on her diet her joints hurt. Particularly her knees.
  • If you have ever watched my 600 lbs life you can see some of those people can walk decently at 600 lbs. How is that possible if it is a weight issue?
  • carpel tunnel. A few years ago they came out and linked it to insulin resistance. But insulin resistance also involves sugar which, also involves the gut and bad gut health with too much sugar.

Those knee replacement doctors better find something else to do.
I highly recommend people read The Plant Paradox by Dr. Gundry which focuses on healing the gut to allow your body to function properly. I read and implemented the diet about 85-90% of the time and have reversed diabetes, lost down to 10% body fat, corrected high cholesterol and lost about 40 lbs to reach an ideal BMI weight.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:06 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I have Celiac & Crohn's. My joint pain started with the Celiac (elbows were the worst), never had much before that. I notice that when I eat healthy and keep my sugar intake low I have much less joint pain. Not sure how it all ties together, but the less pain the better. I'm about 40lbs overweight and have lost 10 already, I'm curious to see how much better my knees will feel once the weight is off.
Please read The Plant Paradox, the diet Dr. Gundry recommends cures Celiac and Crohn's.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:19 PM

and the original post in question goes back to another poster who said sport didnt tax joints and cause early arthritis. Not true.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:00 PM

23,238 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
It's our modern day shoes that are causing joint pain in the feet, knees and ankles. We were meant to walk barefooted, no heal, no tapered toe boxes, no arch support, stiff soles, or a toe lift. Modern shoes are foot binds that deform us.
Well, your shoes are a choice you make. I don't wear shoes that fit your description because they are not comfortable and my feet are already touchy due to congenital problems. I refuse to wear "fashionable" footwear. You can refuse to as well.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 PM

7,233 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
I notice it doesnt mention, figure skating,or dance. Sports that are well known to produce knee problems and early arthritis. Some of the best sport orthopedists in the world reside in Boston. Ones that have received many awards for treating dancers and figure skaters. Mostly female sports that alot of drs dont care about. And Tufts should know better.

Don't confuse OA (a high mileage, chronic, wear & tear problem) with traumatic arthritis (Help! I've fallen down and can't reach my beer!)...and then there's the over-use problems like tennis elbow, ballet toe and computer-game-thumb. Those are more tendonitis problems than arthritis.

In regards OA, everybody is different. Our recuperative powers are different and our "mechanics" are different. Eg: Nolan Ryan was still throwing 95mph fastballs at age 45. He had perfect mechanics; no extra strain on his joints. Many other pitchers are washed up by age 25 from sore shoulders or elbows; bad mechanics.

My apologies to the more sensitive among us who were offended by my comment about being dead. I put in the "smiley face" so even those who move their lips when they read would understand it was meant to be funny.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:35 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,672,733 times
I believe the gut is the center of everything related to the body. Keeping the good bacteria optimal is essential to keeping inflammation out of the body. Eating foods that contain good bacteria is often tricky for some people, though. They tell you to eat yogurt but some have problems digesting lactose and that's just genetics.

Some things that work are foods like sauerkraut, kimchi or anything that's fermented. Lemon and grapefruit are excellent too for keeping the body more alkaline. The western diet is an acidic one and it's the primary reason people are so unhealthy now. Processed foods are the biggest culprit but food manufacturers won't tell you that otherwise they'd be out of business.

Add foods that increase good bacteria to your gut and it will reduce inflammation and thus relieve a lot of aches and pains. Stay active, too. Don't sit for hours. Get up and move. That's what the human body is designed for.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:08 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
I notice it doesnt mention, figure skating,or dance. Sports that are well known to produce knee problems and early arthritis. Some of the best sport orthopedists in the world reside in Boston. Ones that have received many awards for treating dancers and figure skaters. Mostly female sports that alot of drs dont care about. And Tufts should know better.
What are you talking about??

Just because someone "treats dancers and figure skaters" for Orthopedic problems doesn't mean "dancers and figure skaters" are more PRONE to knee problems.....

Show me ONE study that states dancers and figure skaters are more prone to knee arthritis....

Regardless "taxing" the joint through sport does not cause osteoarthritis...

Athletes that have knee injuries related to their sport are at increased risk of developing arthritis but that isn't the same as "repetitive motion" causing osteoarthritis....not how it happens

Old 06-14-2018, 05:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321533.php

I think this is true.
  • a few years back I had hurt my feet and I just could not get it to be fixed at all. At the time I was eating horribly. Finally I decided to go on a low fat / liquid diet and almost immediately, the pain stopped. I thought it was because I had lost weight but honestly I had only lost about 10 lbs when the pain stopped.
  • I know a healthy living blogger who has said for years when she cheats on her diet her joints hurt. Particularly her knees.
  • If you have ever watched my 600 lbs life you can see some of those people can walk decently at 600 lbs. How is that possible if it is a weight issue?
  • carpel tunnel. A few years ago they came out and linked it to insulin resistance. But insulin resistance also involves sugar which, also involves the gut and bad gut health with too much sugar.

Those knee replacement doctors better find something else to do.
ok, so there is some evidence diet plays a part in our aches and pains or lack of same. I don't think that is a big secret, but anyone who thinks just eating healthy can solve problems like arthritic knees and some other joint problems is in for a rude awakening. There is little that can be done when wear and tear of aging or over use of joints enter the picture. Losing weight is a good place to start. On the other hand look at people who have benefited from joint replacements who have no weight issues. What you are saying is like saying, all heart trouble is caused from lack of proper diet. I will add, I am a huge supporter of proper nutrition. That was my college major.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What are you talking about??

Just because someone "treats dancers and figure skaters" for Orthopedic problems doesn't mean "dancers and figure skaters" are more PRONE to knee problems.....

Show me ONE study that states dancers and figure skaters are more prone to knee arthritis....

Regardless "taxing" the joint through sport does not cause osteoarthritis...

Athletes that have knee injuries related to their sport are at increased risk of developing arthritis but that isn't the same as "repetitive motion" causing osteoarthritis....not how it happens
Ok anything you say. Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness