U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 PM

3,403 posts, read 6,564,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seeing as the OP already had the injection, your post isn't very helpful....is it?

By the way there is no "cartlidge" or even cartilage in the heel where the cortisone is injected for plantar fasciitis so no worries about softening up a structure that isn't there...

Also pretty effective for most people....in other words you don't really know much about this specific injection that you chose to comment on, do you?
I was a runner for a long time, and I developed plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. I got a cortisone injection, probably in both heels but it was some time back so I don't recall exactly. I got heel lifts and was OK from then on.

Those conditions are incredibly painful. The injections were painful, but injection pain isn't with you 24/7.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:37 PM

210 posts, read 23,489 times
I had cortisone injections in soles of my feet behind toes for neuromas. The shots hurt but the neuromas hurt more, like being stabbed in the feet, plus a popping sensation. I needed 2 rounds of shots before it worked, but after that I had no more pain again. Really, I could barely walk before the injections.

So, I think cortisone shots are very helpful when not overdone.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:13 AM

39,449 posts, read 31,452,621 times
OUCH OUCH OUCH.

I have had to have both my Achilles tendons surgically rebuilt and through all that (very long recovery time) I learned the importance of stretching out my Achilles tendons each day. After a couple of years and a great recovery, I sort of let that stretching things out slip. And BAM - one day I just suddenly got Plantar Fasciitis. Wow, talk about debilitating.

I already wear really good shoes because of the Achilles tendon issues. But I did get a pair of New Balance shoes and was fitted for the correct arch support in the store. That was truly helpful.

The most effective tools for recovery for me were: Rolling my foot back and forth on a frozen water bottle periodically throughout the day, wearing those good custom arch supports, wearing compression socks, elevation off and on throughout the day, NSAIDs occasionally, and stretching out my Achilles tendons (note - tendons DO stretch).

I was told that it could take months to get over the PF but I was basically over mine in about a month. This was two years ago and I haven't had a recurrence. Believe me, I learned the importance of stretching out my calves after that bout of PF, which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

Thankfully I didn't have to have a cortisone shot in my heel (sounds gawdawful) but I have had to have one twice before - once in my elbow and once in my wrist. Both were painful but the elbow was INCREDIBLY painful - so much so that I literally had to go home and lie down to recover my senses!

Both were very effective. The elbow healed up super quickly. Currently I have torn cartilage in my wrist and it's in a splint and I just had the cortisone shot a month ago. It seemed to work well but my doctor warned me that torn cartilage can take up to a year to heal, so I'm hoping the cortisone shot works as well there as it did on my elbow.

They all hurt like the dickens but I can imagine that they REALLY hurt on the soles of the feet considering all the nerves on the bottoms of our feet.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:00 AM

3,777 posts, read 2,530,838 times
When I was in college I got a plantar wart on the ball of one of my feet. Since I was covered by my father's insurance, I went to see the podiatrist. Being a 20 year-old and walking into the podiatrist's office was funny, I was the youngest patient there by 40+ years, anyways, the doctor gave me two options, she could have cut it out in her office with a scalpel or use a laser to burn it away at a local hospital. I chose option #2.

So I scheduled an appointment at one of our local hospitals, my Dad was there, and the podiatrist took us, two nurses and 2 or 3 podiatry students into this little room. We all had to place on glasses due to the laser and the podiatrist had to numb my foot. She pulls out this "horse needle" and says this might hurt a bit. I have a high pain tolerance and was holding each of my hands with the two nurses and she starts to grind this needle into the ball of my foot and I almost broken the hands of the nurses.

The only way I can describe it, is like standing a nail, but 1000x worse. There's certain places you shouldn't stick needles, and the bottom of your foot is one of them, but having said that, my foot did become numb quite quickly and couldn't feel the laser burning away my wart!

Old 06-13-2018, 12:58 PM

27,321 posts, read 42,788,564 times
Yeaaaahh... that's why I've just been limping around and dealing with it (PF in my left foot/heel) for a while now! I've had cortisone injections in my foot before, and it was intense pain for little/no relief in my case. I also have weird reactions to the cortisone, which I later discovered can happen to people with blood sugar issues. Currently my blood sugar is under control, but that's been an ongoing issue since childhood.

My boss recommended sleeping with splints made for PF, so I've been meaning to try that.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:35 PM

726 posts, read 598,059 times
OMG, I'm so glad that I read this thread! It just solidifies my decision to NOT receive a cortisone shot in my shoulder several weeks ago. I read a ton of information on the shots and spoke to several people who all said the same thing- that the shot was very painful and only gave them some relief for a short period of time.

I literally ran for the hills when that tech tried to give me one, LOL.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:04 AM

12,197 posts, read 10,116,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
When I was in college I got a plantar wart on the ball of one of my feet. Since I was covered by my father's insurance, I went to see the podiatrist. Being a 20 year-old and walking into the podiatrist's office was funny, I was the youngest patient there by 40+ years, anyways, the doctor gave me two options, she could have cut it out in her office with a scalpel or use a laser to burn it away at a local hospital. I chose option #2.

So I scheduled an appointment at one of our local hospitals, my Dad was there, and the podiatrist took us, two nurses and 2 or 3 podiatry students into this little room. We all had to place on glasses due to the laser and the podiatrist had to numb my foot. She pulls out this "horse needle" and says this might hurt a bit. I have a high pain tolerance and was holding each of my hands with the two nurses and she starts to grind this needle into the ball of my foot and I almost broken the hands of the nurses.

The only way I can describe it, is like standing a nail, but 1000x worse. There's certain places you shouldn't stick needles, and the bottom of your foot is one of them, but having said that, my foot did become numb quite quickly and couldn't feel the laser burning away my wart!

I had almost 100 plantar warts about equally divided between both feet. Some were about a half inch in diameter and half an inch deep. I suffered in tremendous pain for a few years and finally got relief, I even started a thread: Psychosomatic healing, maybe?.

Then there was no cryo for the warts. Standard practice was to cut them out fifty years ago. Today, sometimes with the help of a friend or relative, you can remove them yourself. There are products like 'Dr Scholl's Freeze Wart' that can be used by almost anybody. As far as I know the home cryo products are just as effective as the ones the dermatologist use. Of course the dermatologist can tell you if any wart is malignant.

Fortunately I have not seen another wart on my feet for the last fifty years and for the last four years I have had no problems with the Plantar Fasciitis. Both of the conditions are painful.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 AM

3,777 posts, read 2,530,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I had almost 100 plantar warts about equally divided between both feet. Some were about a half inch in diameter and half an inch deep. I suffered in tremendous pain for a few years and finally got relief, I even started a thread: Psychosomatic healing, maybe?.

Then there was no cryo for the warts. Standard practice was to cut them out fifty years ago. Today, sometimes with the help of a friend or relative, you can remove them yourself. There are products like 'Dr Scholl's Freeze Wart' that can be used by almost anybody. As far as I know the home cryo products are just as effective as the ones the dermatologist use. Of course the dermatologist can tell you if any wart is malignant.

Fortunately I have not seen another wart on my feet for the last fifty years and for the last four years I have had no problems with the Plantar Fasciitis. Both of the conditions are painful.
I work in research and basically have an unlimited supply of LN2 if I wanted to cryo something off.

Viruses are very interesting little things. So far they know HPV Types 1, 2, 4, and 63 cause plantar warts. Researchers have some ideas on why certain viruses "awake" from their dormancy. Obviously, which ever HPV type(s) I have that caused my plantar wart, will be inside of me for infinity, and the podiatrist said they can reappear as a wart at any time.

Luckily, my plantar wart incident occurred over 20 years ago and has not returned since. I guess my body is keeping it at bay!

Old 06-14-2018, 04:37 PM

4,506 posts, read 10,301,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
OMG, I'm so glad that I read this thread! It just solidifies my decision to NOT receive a cortisone shot in my shoulder several weeks ago. I read a ton of information on the shots and spoke to several people who all said the same thing- that the shot was very painful and only gave them some relief for a short period of time.

I literally ran for the hills when that tech tried to give me one, LOL.
Not sure how a thread on cortisone injections for plantar fasciitis helped you decide not to have a shoulder injection...

They aren't the same, no where near the same in regards to pain related to the injection...

I give shoulder injections every day and no one ever even flinches.....literally one of the LEAST painful corticosteroid injections you can get

Also very effective for subacromial bursitis and rotator cuff tendonitis

Old 06-14-2018, 09:10 PM

545 posts, read 236,622 times
The cortisone shots I got in my left knee hardly hurt, it cannot be compared to any injection in the foot. Day 3 post injection and my foot is still pain free and I am not limping anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness