U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 08:48 PM

26,917 posts, read 38,175,573 times

Advertisements

I had success with Gabapentin, Lyrica and Cymbalta. I have the "shocks, stabs, and all the other pains" associated with PN all over my body, including my head.

But. I react to most medications way more than most people. I had to stop gabapentin and Lyrica because I turned into a very nasty person. Yelling at people on the street for no reason was one of my many niceties while taking it.

Cymbalta gave complete relief.

But. Zombie mode. Spent my time sitting in a chair staring at the wall. Couldn't poop, couldn't pee. Didn't engage in conversations and I talk to anyone, anywhere.

Now I use CBD oil. Probably 90% relief, no high, no hangover. Between it and ropinirole for restless leg I get to sleep much easier than I used to. I rarely use it during the day. I have a tendency to prefer the Hell of living in pain (like right now) to using it more than absolutely necessary.

I live in Nevada so it's legal here. It is legal at the federal level, so the only concern is state law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 01:28 AM

4,720 posts, read 2,924,908 times
Heavy drinking for years can also destroy the heart and heart function.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:58 AM

1,063 posts, read 324,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Alcohol relate PN may be due to the directly toxic effects of alcohol, but those who develop it often take so many calories in alcohol (technically speaking, it's a simple sugar) that they take less of the more nutritious foods, so they become malnourished. They also use up B vitamins faster than normal so the nerve damage may be due to vitamin deficiency.

Taking pharmacological doses of B12 (injectable), Folic Acid (1mg/d) and Thiamine( 750 mg/d) are usually prescribed and often effective.
Probably the correct line of thinking. My grandfather had wernicke's korshakoff caused by lifetime of heavy drinking which spiraled into other issues. A simple B-vitamin deficiency or malabsorption can wreak havoc on everything. Because of him, I am tapering down slowly but surely. The most I have in one night is 3 servings. I haven't been "drunk" in years. I pay attention to more details than 99% of people when it comes to nutrition. So hoping not to have the same fate given my lifestyle will be completely different from his.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:07 AM

1,063 posts, read 324,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The heart is often the last to go when it comes to alcohol at least with my genetics.

The only reason one of my grandfather's had a heart attack at 50 which killed him was stress and heavy smoking. He drank, but not nearly as much as my other Grandfather. My other grandfather who drank heavier but didn't smoke lived until about 67, ultimately it was actually a rapid onset dementia of some sort which caused it. His brain literally stopped functioning from a domino effect originating from wernickes encephelatitis/korshakoff syndrome which is usually connected to alcohol abuse. There wasn't a clear explanation but basically as mentioned above his body got too used to deriving most of the caloric energy from ethanol which leads to a vicious cycle that is hard to reverse. In many cases the brain cannot re-adapt to a normal energy source and it can just shut down because it now doesn't know how to function or create energy from the proper sources aside from ethanol.

It varies by individual. His heart was fine, but in many individuals the brain, liver or kidneys take the majority of the alcohol damage.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:55 AM

1,668 posts, read 634,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Alcohol can be directly toxic to the heart muscle, causing cardiomyopathy--> CHF. Hardcore alcoholics usually have remarkably clean arteries at autopsy.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:20 AM

4,082 posts, read 1,471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasAguilas View Post
Anyone else has this problem???

Mine is from drinking wine for over 40 + years, is a chronic illness and I cannot afford Lyrica so I am taking Gabapentin...anyone else is experiencing this chronic illness?? maybe the wine makers should do as the cigarrett makers did, putting what can drinking cause to your health.
Could be. But there are a lot of other reasons for peripheral neuropathy, and doctors are notorious for not having a clue about this condition. Better find one that knows this malady inside and out, and is willing to spend the time and energy to really make sure that drinking was the cause.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM

26,917 posts, read 38,175,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Could be. But there are a lot of other reasons for peripheral neuropathy, and doctors are notorious for not having a clue about this condition. Better find one that knows this malady inside and out, and is willing to spend the time and energy to really make sure that drinking was the cause.
The only doctor that ever ventured a guess for me said it might be from toxins because of places I played as a child and worked as an adult.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 AM

4,855 posts, read 5,916,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Mine was sudden onset and I saw an ER doc, (the pain was excruciating and at the time I had no idea what was happening to me), my primary doc, a neurologist, and an endocrinologist. I had more blood tests than you could ever imagine. I also had my urine tested for toxins. I had two MRI's which took forever to schedule. My neurologist is 90% sure that it is from bone spurs in my lower spine. Otherwise it is idiopathic.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:11 AM

3,714 posts, read 1,263,375 times
Theres a reason its called
alcoholic peripheal neuropathy.
Not alcohol induced peripheal neuropathy.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 AM

14,658 posts, read 29,728,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Mine was sudden onset and I saw an ER doc, (the pain was excruciating and at the time I had no idea what was happening to me), my primary doc, a neurologist, and an endocrinologist. I had more blood tests than you could ever imagine. I also had my urine tested for toxins. I had two MRI's which took forever to schedule. My neurologist is 90% sure that it is from bone spurs in my lower spine. Otherwise it is idiopathic.
I have bone spurs that cause a lot of problems for me also. I have good days and bad days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or