U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 06:46 AM

12,592 posts, read 6,673,255 times

Advertisements

OP - I got the impression this is not a new brand of sunscreen for you. I use Neutrogena spray...not the 110 but 75 and it has allowed me to go for hours where I'd have been burned in 20 minutes otherwise.

If it has been good for you in the past, was this the first time using a newly opened one? In other words, could this be a bad "batch"? Try getting another "fresh" one. But for NOW, since you have bad burn, go with physical protection in terms of clothing to shield you or actual shade, understanding that even in shade some sun can get reflected back to you. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 08:19 AM

5,212 posts, read 4,402,343 times
OP, I suggest you go to a dermatologist on Monday. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions but IMHO you need to go over this with a pro who may be able to spot the variable that is most important.

All fabric has an element of SPF in it. You don't need a fancy SPF garment or hat. Rash guards are available everywhere swimsuits are sold now but any shirt will a fairly tight weave will help.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:05 AM

12,687 posts, read 7,086,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
OP, I suggest you go to a dermatologist on Monday. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions but IMHO you need to go over this with a pro who may be able to spot the variable that is most important.

All fabric has an element of SPF in it. You don't need a fancy SPF garment or hat. Rash guards are available everywhere swimsuits are sold now but any shirt will a fairly tight weave will help.
Agreed. Some medications make you vulnerable to sunburn (Accutane, for instance.) If you take these, you should avoid sun exposure.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:51 AM

4,651 posts, read 5,727,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have never used sunblock, but the first thing that came to mind, long cotton sleeves and a sun visor hat/cap. Sounds like a bad burn. Did you work in a lot of humidity too?l
More bad advice. Sunscreen is incredibly important. The sun can burn your skin through cotton. They do have clothing that will protect your skin.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:54 AM

Not all natural sunscreens are the same. Here is a link to Consumer Reports run down on them.

https://www.consumerreports.org/suns...ral-sunscreen/

Old 06-16-2018, 11:11 AM

10,757 posts, read 18,372,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not all natural sunscreens are the same. Here is a link to Consumer Reports run down on them.

https://www.consumerreports.org/suns...ral-sunscreen/
But they're better than nothing if you can't use chemical sunscreen.

Hawaii has banned sunscreen containing chemicals harmful to coral reefs, so there may be more of a market for natural sunscreens than there used to be, and more incentive for manufacturers to develop better natural sunscreens. 9.3 million people visit Hawaii each year, and it's safe to assume most use sunscreen.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:24 PM

3,209 posts, read 3,148,203 times
Look for a sunscreen that contains titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. Baby Magic or Banana Boat baby might work for you.
Consider that you may be allergic to the sunblock you are using.

Definitely cover as much skin as possible with clothing. A tight weave that you cannot easily see through will block sun. Also use a huge golf umbrella or patio umbrella to block the sun.

Many medications increase sun sensitivity. Look up anything you're taking.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
But they're better than nothing if you can't use chemical sunscreen.

Hawaii has banned sunscreen containing chemicals harmful to coral reefs, so there may be more of a market for natural sunscreens than there used to be, and more incentive for manufacturers to develop better natural sunscreens. 9.3 million people visit Hawaii each year, and it's safe to assume most use sunscreen.
I understand, this is a helpful list. Some are better than others. There are quite a few out there, so why not be informed on what works the best instead of throwing money out the window?

Old 06-17-2018, 09:37 AM

5,076 posts, read 12,507,316 times
Sunscreen needs to be applied BEFORE you go in the sun...30 mins, at least. Spray on still needs to be RUBBED IN! And, nothing is towel-proof! Reapply if you dry off with a towel!

Old 06-17-2018, 10:14 AM

10,579 posts, read 11,140,790 times
It sounds like a chemical burn to me. Ditch that brand, you are probably sensitive to one or more of the ingredients. Any sun block that contains titanium dioxide should protect you, at the expense of making you look like you are in mime makeup. Protective gear is also important, a broad brim straw hat and sunglasses at the very least. I use Sport 50 and find it adequate, but you can really slather the stuff on, it's waterproof and sweat proof, and still says to re-apply every 2 hours. It's about half TiO2, and I look like I have been whitewashed while wearing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness