U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 05:52 PM

9,735 posts, read 18,447,923 times

Advertisements

I know oxycodone is stronger then hydrocodone therefore it would be harder to obtain.

Last edited by steel7; 06-21-2018 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 08:55 PM

13,692 posts, read 13,623,653 times
I'm typing this while having one of my now-chronic sinus headaches. I don't know how I feel about this topic. On one hand, if I have to take a pee test while using marijuana to relieve my headaches (the most effective treatment I've found so far) I would lose my job. On the other hand, there are all kinds of painkillers that are opiate based that could help that are entirely legal and I just am terrified of those and the potential for addiction. I have a VERY addiction prone personality.

Now, it's highly unlikely that I would be asked to take a urine test, but it COULD happen and they'd be in their legal rights to fire me. I am single and make good money - I can't risk losing my job. So I just tough it out and hope it doesn't affect my work too much. That said, these past couple months the headaches have been happening every couple days - usually mild, but often quite severe. The severe ones just mean I lay around the house moaning with the lights off and the mild ones are mostly innocuous but they affect my work productivity and how much I get done around the house. I've dropped a lot of balls this spring/summer and it's scaring me. I wonder how much better it would be if I had a decent way to control the pain.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,054,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
All one has to do is look at other drugs that are 100% banned in this country (such as Meth or Cocaine) to see if there is still an issue with them. Is there still an issue with 100% banned drugs?
The difference is that meth and cocaine is not prescribed by doctors. Opioids ARE prescribed by doctors, often in very heavy doses.

I'm not saying that you SHOULD, but you COULD blame a meth or cocaine addict for picking up the habit in the first place. It's hard to blame an opioid addict for picking up the drug when they picked it up from their local pharmacy with a prescription from their doctor.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:10 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,564,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
"The National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine released a comprehensive report on Thursday acknowledging that “conclusive or substantial evidence” exists for the efficacy of whole-plant cannabis and its derivatives in patients suffering from chronic pain, multiple sclerosis, and other disorders."

Authors reviewed over 10,000 scientific abstracts when compiling their findings. The report marks the agency’s first comprehensive review since 1999 specific to the science surrounding marijuana and health."

“In adults with chronic pain, patients who were treated with cannabis or cannabinoids (constituents found organically in the marijuana plant) are more likely to experience a clinically significant reduction of pain symptoms,” experts concluded. They also affirmed that marijuana-derived medicines are effective anti-emetics and that they improve symptoms of spasticity."

Scientific review of marijuana supports regulation, not criminalization | TheHill

The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research : Health and Medicine Division

-------------------------------------------------------
From the "Highlights" section of the report, pay particular attention to BOLD:

Quote:
Despite increased cannabis use and a changing state-level pol- icy landscape, conclusive evidence regarding the short- and long-term health effects—both harms and benefits—of cannabis use remains elusive.
A lack of definitive evidence has resulted in insufcient information on the health implications of cannabis use, causing a significant public health concern for vulnerable populations such as adolescents, pregnant women, and others. Unlike with substances such as alcohol or tobacco, no accepted standards exist to help guide individuals as they make choices regarding if, when, where, and how to use cannabis safely and, in regard to therapeutic uses, effectively.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:40 PM

188 posts, read 61,976 times
A few bad apples? Really? This annoys me that people just don't understand addiction. I think its too darn easy still to get what you want and people are afraid to ask because of the addicts or fear of looking bad.
Still those people who abuse pills aren't at fault! They have a problem too! Maybe legitimate pain suffers should find another solution.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM
KCZ

1,682 posts, read 977,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattaty25 View Post
A few bad apples? Really? This annoys me that people just don't understand addiction. I think its too darn easy still to get what you want and people are afraid to ask because of the addicts or fear of looking bad.
Still those people who abuse pills aren't at fault! They have a problem too! Maybe legitimate pain suffers should find another solution.

Seriously? You don't think that chronic pain patients haven't already tried everything available? TENS? Acupuncture? NSAIDS? US? Cold laser? Physical therapy? Steroid injections? Chiropractors? Epidurals? Spinal cord stimulators? Surgery? Mindfulness? Exercise therapy? Hypnosis? Heat? Osteopathic manipulation? Whirlpools? PMR? Massage? E-stim? Biofeedback? And a boatload of other stuff?

It annoys me that people just don't understand chronic pain. Throwing legitimate pain patients under the bus because other people abuse medications is just pathetic.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:41 AM

5,367 posts, read 6,456,984 times
Quote:
Excuse me? You want legitimate pain sufferers to suffer more because of the mishandling of opiates? I guess you have never been in excruciating pain.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,564,926 times
Quote:
Those would be what exactly? <bold>

Old 06-23-2018, 10:03 AM

5,482 posts, read 2,362,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Excuse me? You want legitimate pain sufferers to suffer more because of the mishandling of opiates? I guess you have never been in excruciating pain.
+1.

Unbelievable.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:26 AM

1,183 posts, read 764,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
The difference is that meth and cocaine is not prescribed by doctors. Opioids ARE prescribed by doctors, often in very heavy doses.

I'm not saying that you SHOULD, but you COULD blame a meth or cocaine addict for picking up the habit in the first place. It's hard to blame an opioid addict for picking up the drug when they picked it up from their local pharmacy with a prescription from their doctor.
just an FYI-cocaine is a legal, schedule II drug. i think you're saying no one prescribes it for use out of clinic/hospitals but it certainly is a legal pharmaceutical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness