U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2018, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,630 posts, read 19,955,234 times
Reputation: 45705

Advertisements

Correct me if I'm wrong, but opiates don't do a lot of liver damage, unless your drinking at the same time, or already have liver problems.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2018, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but opiates don't do a lot of liver damage, unless your drinking at the same time, or already have liver problems.
OK I will correct you. Many opioids are combined with acetaminophen. Particularly risky opiates when it comes to liver damage are commonly prescribed: for instance, Percocet and Vicodin. Also, most opiods are at least partially metabolized by the liver.

https://sunrisehouse.com/prescriptio...alth-concerns/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 11:50 AM
 
3,969 posts, read 1,695,274 times
Reputation: 8099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but opiates don't do a lot of liver damage, unless your drinking at the same time, or already have liver problems.
The issue is that most opioid medications are combined with acetaminophen. The rate of liver damage from Tylenol is huge and basically has been for decades. People who take at or near the recommended daily allowance (4g) or acetaminophen can see increases liver enzymes with long term use. If you only take 4-6 Norco a day, you should not be anywhere near 4g. But sometimes people will take 10-15 a day and get into that danger zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM
 
5,423 posts, read 2,339,896 times
Reputation: 15014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
As has been explained many times and through various links, long term users are now being forced to wean off of them, and it is resulting in a skyrocketing suicide rate among chronic pain patients. Your mom is one of the lucky ones, so far.
This. I'm glad some people are so confident that they will get their meds but soon, it's going to change. Guaranteed. It's already happening in most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,630 posts, read 19,955,234 times
Reputation: 45705
I know acetaminophen is horrible on the liver, and I know they are combined..... but why blame the opiate for the liver damage, but not the acetaminophen?

It is the offending substance in this case.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 11:54 AM
 
5,423 posts, read 2,339,896 times
Reputation: 15014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The CVS I had been a regular customer of for 20 years treated me like a criminal or an unclean person somehow when I tried to get my prescription filled. I got "We don't stock THAT" and then coldly dismissed, while, in terrible pain and with a cab waiting outside, I begged them to see of another CVS in the area had any. She just said "no we don't do that" and went on to the next person. I had to have the cab drive me around to pharmacies until I found them in stock at a Rite Aid (who treated me much better than CVS, but I still felt like I had to somehow prove myself).
Yep and now, if you drive around to other pharmacies, it can be called "drug shopping" and a new pharmacy doesn't have to take it. Especially if the first pharmacy wrote your info on the script.

Most docs now make you sign a contract & allow you to use one and only one pharmacy. If you fill it at a different pharmacy, even because the original pharmacy is "out of stock" you are done and they will drop you.


Insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63365
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The issue is that most opioid medications are combined with acetaminophen. The rate of liver damage from Tylenol is huge and basically has been for decades. People who take at or near the recommended daily allowance (4g) or acetaminophen can see increases liver enzymes with long term use. If you only take 4-6 Norco a day, you should not be anywhere near 4g. But sometimes people will take 10-15 a day and get into that danger zone.
Bingo.

Someone up thread stated that they are consistently screened for liver and other issues since they are on opiates long term. That points to the fact that it's a danger. But you know what - yay for the screening. I believe that poster said they are screened quarterly, which means that as long as their screening goes well, they should be able to get their 90 day prescriptions with no problem, and no additional doctor visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know acetaminophen is horrible on the liver, and I know they are combined..... but why blame the opiate for the liver damage, but not the acetaminophen?

It is the offending substance in this case.
Because it is a very common - and effective - drug combination - often more effective than an opiate alone, which is one reason why it's such a commonly prescribed drug.

Vicodin is one of the most commonly prescribed - and abused - drugs in this country. Percocet is also commonly prescribed. Both of these very common and available drugs contain acetaminophen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,630 posts, read 19,955,234 times
Reputation: 45705
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Because it is a very common - and effective - drug combination - often more effective than an opiate alone, which is one reason why it's such a commonly prescribed drug.

Vicodin is one of the most commonly prescribed - and abused - drugs in this country. Percocet is also commonly prescribed. Both of these very common and available drugs contain acetaminophen.

Yes, I know how it works, and my statement remains.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The CVS I had been a regular customer of for 20 years treated me like a criminal or an unclean person somehow when I tried to get my prescription filled. I got "We don't stock THAT" and then coldly dismissed, while, in terrible pain and with a cab waiting outside, I begged them to see of another CVS in the area had any. She just said "no we don't do that" and went on to the next person. I had to have the cab drive me around to pharmacies until I found them in stock at a Rite Aid (who treated me much better than CVS, but I still felt like I had to somehow prove myself).
CVS stocks and distributes opioids. They do limit most NEW PRESCRIPTIONS to a 7 day supply. They also limit daily dosage amounts for all opioids based on the strength of the prescription in question. This can be overridden by a doctor at times. https://cvshealth.com/thought-leader...-opioid-crisis
https://www.caremark.com/portal/asse...ence_Guide.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top