Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 05:15 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I was never given a 30 day script for wisdom teeth removal or a root canal....more like enough for 4 or 5 days. I don't believe a dentist has ever given a patient a 30 day supply for those kinds of procedures.

As far as other people misusing their prescriptions, like making it possible for their teens to get their hands on them, the same can be said of alcohol and guns.

How many alcoholics first started drinking because they had access to their parent's supply of alcohol?

How many times has a child or teen used a parent's gun to shoot someone, either accidentally or on purpose?

A LOT, yet society doesn't make it nearly impossible for people to access alcohol or guns.

A LOT of people drink and drive, yet society doesn't automatically assume everyone who buys alcohol is going to drink and drive.....THAT is what they are doing with pain medication.....assuming everyone is guilty because of what some people do and that is NOT RIGHT.

The VAST MAJORITY of people who use pain medications do so responsibly and without incident and they should not have to suffer because of those who don't.
Drs. don't prescribe alcohol or guns to teens. These lawsuits against Purdue aren't for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 08:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Just make sure you KEEP the doctor for you and your mom that you now have.

Should your doctor retire or move into another "specialty"......or for some reason you must find a new doctor (one who doesn't know you),.YOU could face the same denial of the drugs that work for you....hopefully not.
My mom is under hospice care and is on Vicodin as well as morphine and there's been no talk of discontinuing either prescription. I don't personally need opiates on a regular basis - I've only taken them after surgery for a short amount of time. I'm not worried about losing access to them.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:27 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My mom is under hospice care and is on Vicodin as well as morphine and there's been no talk of discontinuing either prescription. I don't personally need opiates on a regular basis - I've only taken them after surgery for a short amount of time. I'm not worried about losing access to them.
Hospice rules are completely different and not as regulated.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Drs. don't prescribe alcohol or guns to teens. These lawsuits against Purdue aren't for nothing.
That does not negate the point I was making.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:25 PM

6,336 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
I think you made that stat up. That is precisely one of the problems going on. Handing it out when it isn't needed. Bronchitis IS painful. I can't speak for others, but for me it's more in the chest, the coughing, but for whatever reason he said or wrote for throat pain.

If they weren't highly addictive that might be appropriate. As in matching to the pain level. But they ARE highly addictive and it's better just to bear it or take a Tylenol. I think cough syrup/pills have Tylenol for this reason.

As to addicts being the problem, ok, but you have to look at how addicts are often created. Drs. saying it's safe, they won't get addicted, and they believe it. It's coming from a Dr. They aren't accepting smack at a party.
When Tylenol is not strong enough people end up overdosing on it.

Quote:
"Tylenol Is By Far The Most Dangerous Drug Ever Made"
Aric Hausknecht, M.D. July 30, 2017

"Each year a substantial number of Americans experience intentional and unintentional Tylenol (acetaminophen) associated overdoses that can result in serious morbidity and mortality. Analysis of national databases show that acetaminophen-associated overdoses account for about 50,000 emergency room visits and 25,000 hospitalizations yearly. Acetaminophen is the nation's leading cause of acute liver failure, according to data from an ongoing study funded by the National Institutes for Health. Analysis of national mortality files shows about 450 deaths occur each year from acetaminophen-associated overdoses; 100 of these are unintentional."
https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/09/11...ver-made-11711

I had a kidney stone a couple of years ago. At the hospital they gave me a few Norco. Totally inadequate. I had some percocet left over from a surgery a couple of years earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Are a few bad apples ruining pain relief for the millions with legitimate pain?

Yes.
Quote:
Approximately 11.8 million individuals misused opioids in 2016 – or 4.4 percent of population of people over the age of 12. The vast majority, 11.5 of the 11.8 million opioid misusers, were misusing prescription pain relievers.
https://newsletter.samhsa.gov/2017/1...uding-opioids/

Old 09-28-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That does not negate the point I was making.
It actually does.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:45 PM

Re: Tylenol.
Quote:
Acetaminophen has been associated with cases of acute liver failure, at times resulting in liver transplant and death. Most of the cases of liver injury are associated with the use of acetaminophen at doses that exceed 4000 milligrams per day, and often involve more than one acetaminophen-containing product.
Yeah, like Norco and Percocet.

Anyway, taking too much of just plain Tylenol is stupid, but Tylenol is not ADDICTIVE. It is to me a tiny bit because of the caffeine but not like narcotics. But by all means, if you want to argue that the plague upon this nation is really Tylenol, proceed. That should be interesting.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Hospice rules are completely different and not as regulated.
Right, as they should be.

No one has been able to prove that anyone suffering from severe, chronic pain will not be able to get their opiate medications as needed under the new Federal laws. Lots of fear but no actual harm to anyone from what I can tell. Doctors can prescribe opiates for 90 days at a time between visits. Like I've said, anyone who is in that much pain should be seeing a doctor once a quarter anyway.

Over one third of Americans were prescribed opiates in 2015. Sorry, but I have a hard time believing we as a nation are in that much severe pain.

We are not guaranteed a pain free existence. I have pain every hour of every day. Some things make it better and some things make it worse. Oh well.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-29-2018 at 06:29 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 07:46 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right, as they should be.

No one has been able to prove that anyone suffering from severe, chronic pain will not be able to get their opiate medications as needed under the new Federal laws. Lots of fear but no actual harm to anyone from what I can tell. Doctors can prescribe opiates for 90 days at a time between visits. Like I've said, anyone who is in that much pain should be seeing a doctor once a quarter anyway.

Over one third of Americans were prescribed opiates in 2015. Sorry, but I have a hard time believing we as a nation are in that much severe pain.

We are not guaranteed a pain free existence. I have pain every hour of every day. Some things make it better and some things make it worse. Oh well.
Comparing your pain to anyone else's is pointless. You have no idea what kind of pain anyone else is in, just like we dont know what kind of pain you are in. Also, everyone deals with pain differently. There are certain types of pain that people can cope with, and then there is the type of pain that is debilitating. It is not up to you to decide their pain is not worthy of medication just because you gut it out.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:33 AM

6,336 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Re: Tylenol. Yeah, like Norco and Percocet.

Anyway, taking too much of just plain Tylenol is stupid, but Tylenol is not ADDICTIVE. It is to me a tiny bit because of the caffeine but not like narcotics. But by all means, if you want to argue that the plague upon this nation is really Tylenol, proceed. That should be interesting.
People trying to relieve unbearable pain are not stupid. They would rather have an opioid, but the government is making it too hard to get them. The main reason people are overdosing is because they are getting black market drugs contaminated with fentynal. That would stop if it was easier to get legal quality controlled opioids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness