Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 10:48 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
This is very likely a biased sample. The poll voters are most likely those in chronic pain and/or who are directly impacted by a heavy handed approach the most.

This poll is showing that those that need pain medications over a longer period of time are the ones being negatively affected by this heavy handed approach, not the general public who are just "acute". Had the ones that voted are not being negatively affected, more votes would be for the option "Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients".
Not in my case......but I can imagine being there and trying to navigate and survive the new regime concerning pain medications.

I have also known people who had chronic pain and had a decent quality of life only because they could easily get the pain meds they needed. They are lucky they died before someone decided to destroy their quality of life.

What is happening now is pathetic and barbaric.

I just hope I don't find myself in a chronic pain situation because at my age I would just as soon end it all rather than have to constantly beg, plead and jump through hoops for pain relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 02:47 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Not in my case......but I can imagine being there and trying to navigate and survive the new regime concerning pain medications.

I have also known people who had chronic pain and had a decent quality of life only because they could easily get the pain meds they needed. They are lucky they died before someone decided to destroy their quality of life.

I just hope I don't find myself in a chronic pain situation because at my age I would just as soon end it all rather than have to constantly beg, plead and jump through hoops for pain relief.
Thank you, and exactly.

I have a good quality of life with "managed pain". Thats through injections, Radio frequency ablation, and opiods, as well as on good days, a few otc meds.

If otc worked, i would not need the opiods!!!

And, my pain is managed, NOT "eliminated".

I. Too, hope you dont ever have to deal with the chronic continuous and often excruciating pain i deal with, and have for more than half my life (31 years dealing with it.).

The few who abuse have taken away the benefits the masses who are responsible users enjoy.

Our freedoms are being eroded, not just in opiods, by the few who abuse something.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:53 AM

244 posts, read 235,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
OP, there's no guarantee, but have you tried Kratom? Specifically a red variety, which is the type that works for pain?

Of course, lawmakers are such idiots that you have to make sure it's legal in your state. I'm caring for someone who had a couple of strokes and he's taking it for severe muscle spasms in his paralyzed arm.

It's the only thing keeping him sane.

The idiots tried to outlaw it in our state, but there was a public outcry. It's just amazing that they want to crack down on opiates AND they want to take away an herbal supplement that is giving relief to millions.

It's almost like it's a requirement that a person be a sadist to be a lawmaker.
I urge anyone dealing with pain in the age of “The Opiod Crisis” to watch this on Netflix. Leaf of Faith

For me, Kratom is soooo much more effective than CBD and it doesn’t get you “high” either. There is a push by the FDA to make Kratom illegal. I suspect Big Pharma is behind this push. It’s legality is on a state by state basis at this point. Unlike CBD, Kratom does effect the opiod receptors in the brain but unlike most opioids Kratom doesn’t cause constipation, for me anyway. WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Thank you, and exactly.

I have a good quality of life with "managed pain". Thats through injections, Radio frequency ablation, and opiods, as well as on good days, a few otc meds.

If otc worked, i would not need the opiods!!!

And, my pain is managed, NOT "eliminated".

I. Too, hope you dont ever have to deal with the chronic continuous and often excruciating pain i deal with, and have for more than half my life (31 years dealing with it.).

The few who abuse have taken away the benefits the masses who are responsible users enjoy.

Our freedoms are being eroded, not just in opiods, by the few who abuse something.

So have you been unable to get the pain meds you need? How are your freedoms being eroded?

Old 10-29-2018, 06:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

Can you give an example of someone you know who has a disease or medical condition that's been diagnosed, who cannot get the pain meds they need?

Old 10-29-2018, 06:58 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on.

Just had outpatient surgery to remove a large lipoma on my shoulder blade earlier this week, about five days ago.

It's very sore. I have basically a hole in my back and an incision and several layers of stitches. My doc prescribed hydrocodone pain relief. Fifteen pills. I had no problem filling the prescription. Took them for two days. I still have at least half of them left but I quit taking them two days ago because once again, I don't like the way they make me feel or the fact that they disturb my sleep cycle. They work on the pain but frankly I'd rather deal with the pain than deal with the sleepiness without real sleep if that makes sense. They don't make me high - I just don't like the dulled feeling I get when I take them, in spite of the pain relief.
I feel exactly the same way. This year I’ve had them prescribed for a knee replacement and a gallbladder operation, and after a few days, the cure is worse than the ailment.

Right now, I have a bunch of tramodol for a foot issue, and as much as they make me feel a bit goofy, I can’t really walk unless I take them. Tramodol is not as tightly controlled as the others.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:06 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
Quote:
So have you been unable to get the pain meds you need? How are your freedoms being eroded?

Kathryn you ask this over and over and I think you’re missing the point. Many of us currently get the meds we need but live in fear that we may not at the next appointment or the next year etc. This is especially true if you have a chronic condition that is only going to get worse over time and will never be cured. It’s terrifying as a pain patient to imagine that you may wind up with such poorly managed pain because you’re denied meds that you can no longer function. I think most here would say even with their meds they might go from an 8 to a 6 on the pain scale but it’s still there constantly. I know mine is.

I just want to make sure you understand in saying that that it’s very dismissive of chronic pain patients who rely on these medications to be active participants in our lives. I don’t know if you mean it that way but it’s important to remember to be empathetic.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:26 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Kathryn you ask this over and over and I think you’re missing the point. Many of us currently get the meds we need but live in fear that we may not at the next appointment or the next year etc. This is especially true if you have a chronic condition that is only going to get worse over time and will never be cured. It’s terrifying as a pain patient to imagine that you may wind up with such poorly managed pain because you’re denied meds that you can no longer function. I think most here would say even with their meds they might go from an 8 to a 6 on the pain scale but it’s still there constantly. I know mine is.

I just want to make sure you understand in saying that that it’s very dismissive of chronic pain patients who rely on these medications to be active participants in our lives. I don’t know if you mean it that way but it’s important to remember to be empathetic.
Thank you for such a great response. I am someone who is suffering from a chronic condition that will only get worse. I dont particularly like taking the pain meds, I wish I didn't have to, and they do not completely get rid of the pain, but they allow me to function.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:22 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Can you give an example of someone you know who has a disease or medical condition that's been diagnosed, who cannot get the pain meds they need?
Both of the people I knew with chronic pain are now deceased, the last died in 2014, before the current anti-pain med hysteria took hold.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:04 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Here’s a whole states worth of people; Chronic Pain Patients Speak Out Against New Opioid Prescription Rules | WOSU Radio

Here’s a guy who couldn’t get opioids after hip surgery and actually called an ambulance to his hospital room out of desperation: https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...-patient-rally

Here, the entire state of Oregon May cut Medicaid patients ability to get opioids totally off.https://www.statnews.com/2018/08/15/...ering-opioids/

Here’s one about suicides among chronic pain patients in the opioid crackdown
https://medium.com/@ThomasKlineMD/op...s-c68c79ecf84d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness