Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:13 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,639,294 times

Advertisements

So all of these pages are just about the fear of not getting enough drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 11:31 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,808,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Sort of. People who suffer from chronic pain are the collateral damage against the war on opioids. If you have never had chronic pain feel free to not respond.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:35 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,710,992 times
Quote:
Seems to be the case. I deal with bodywide chronic pain issues and have learned to use so many other alterntives to help reduce pain levels and I know MOST in this thread do not. To be totally rid of pain is when I'm long gone. Too bad others won't seek out other supports.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:38 AM

50,659 posts, read 36,357,311 times
Quote:
It's about the fear of not getting drugs that are actually effective at treating severe pain. It's about the reality of people with severe chronic pain being taken off of meds that have enabled them to function and have a modicum of a life, for no reason except that some others become addicted to those meds and this is the way the political winds are blowing. It won't seem so shallow as you state it if you or a loved one ever have to live with unending severe pain.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:44 AM

Are people here saying doctors are not using heavy pain meds for post surgery issues. And those in advanced cancers to keep them comfortable until they go. I have a hard time believing no pain pills are being prescribed.

Don't all of you know too that the longer use of pain meds, the more pain receptors and it's a vicious cycle of more pain.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:29 PM

50,659 posts, read 36,357,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Are people here saying doctors are not using heavy pain meds for post surgery issues. And those in advanced cancers to keep them comfortable until they go. I have a hard time believing no pain pills are being prescribed.

Don't all of you know too that the longer use of pain meds, the more pain receptors and it's a vicious cycle of more pain.
There are many people who have been on opiods for years and they are still the only thing that enables them to function. I work in skilled nursing homes, and I can tell you even here, elderly people are getting surgeries and getting sent back with orders for Tramadol with Tylenol for break through pain, neither of which can touch severe pain. We are trying to do therapy on people screaming as soon as we try to move them in bed.

I have told my own story here, was on them for about 6 months and they kept me alive. My spine is still a mess and I live in fear that when the next disc starts compressing a nerve (it's a matter of when not if with the degree of arthritis in my spine) I will not be able to get them. People are committing suicide because even though they have never had a problem with long term opiod use, now their doctors are telling them they must be weaned off of them despite their medical issues and pain not being fixable.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:38 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,827,013 times
I've been on an opioid for years, continue to get pain relief....

Luckily, I've had no comments whatsoever from MD or pharmacy regarding my prescriptions.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:06 PM

23,845 posts, read 33,495,394 times
Quote:
You can scroll up to read the long version of my story. They're hard to get at pharmacies with a legit pain doctor and doctors aren't prescribing as it is or weaning people down that have been on for years

Old 11-01-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There are many people who have been on opiods for years and they are still the only thing that enables them to function. I work in skilled nursing homes, and I can tell you even here, elderly people are getting surgeries and getting sent back with orders for Tramadol with Tylenol for break through pain, neither of which can touch severe pain. We are trying to do therapy on people screaming as soon as we try to move them in bed.

I have told my own story here, was on them for about 6 months and they kept me alive. My spine is still a mess and I live in fear that when the next disc starts compressing a nerve (it's a matter of when not if with the degree of arthritis in my spine) I will not be able to get them. People are committing suicide because even though they have never had a problem with long term opiod use, now their doctors are telling them they must be weaned off of them despite their medical issues and pain not being fixable.
I wonder what those opioids are doing to the memory? I spent 4.5 months in hospital/rehabs and it was quite an eye opener. As I said above there are many ways to help reduce pain levels.

My spine is a mess too.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:22 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,579,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Seems to be the case. I deal with bodywide chronic pain issues and have learned to use so many other alterntives to help reduce pain levels and I know MOST in this thread do not. To be totally rid of pain is when I'm long gone. Too bad others won't seek out other supports.

I doubt that most are solely relying on opioids. I know my treatment plan consists of physical therapy, counseling, mindfulness, exercise, diet, medications (opiates and otherwise - I take 6, only hydrocodone is an opiate), supplements and a bunch of other stuff. I would suspect anyone here in legitimate pain management is in the same boat. It’s a matter of using all the tools in your tool belt to survive and thrive despite the pain. When I use all of the above my pain drops to a 6/10 and I can somewhat function. Medications don’t take away all of it, they just take an edge off to allow you to use the other tools you have. Each one chips away a little bit to form a cumulative effect. Sure, perhaps a stronger opiate would take it down further but it’s the minimum effective dose that I strive for. I would suspect any other pain patient on here who is in pain management will echo my statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness