U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2018, 07:35 AM
 
5,475 posts, read 2,357,736 times
Reputation: 15130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
They may be adults, but they don't always act like it. Adults taking opiates or other drugs frequently get behind the wheel of a car or put themselves in other situations where they can injure or kill other people. IMHO, that's reason enough to attempt to control abuse of both legal and illegal drugs.
Lol. People drive drunk too. Should we make cars and booze illegal (again)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
My colleague who lives in Maryland just had dental surgery for old wisdom teeth that weren't removed properly long ago. Pretty routine, she only missed a couple days work. She told me she was prescribed 4 different kinds of narcotics!!!!

Just saying this to illustrate how much doctors still vary in willingness to prescribe pain meds.
I VERY much doubt it. Very much. Ask her which ones.

I have had multiple heart surgeries and even I didn't get 4 different kinds of narcotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Wine Country
5,367 posts, read 6,453,359 times
Reputation: 9871
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My point is I guess, I wonder what issues so many have here that need opioids...I have always been under the impression that these hard pain meds are for the really tough issues. Didn't realize so many here are in such pain.
There are many reasons people need pain medication. Just because you dont know what they are does not mean they dont exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 08:50 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,557,179 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
They may be adults, but they don't always act like it. Adults taking opiates or other drugs frequently get behind the wheel of a car or put themselves in other situations where they can injure or kill other people. IMHO, that's reason enough to attempt to control abuse of both legal and illegal drugs.
And yet while you demonize those who take opiates I notice you say NOTHING about the so-called "adults" that can't even walk to the bathroom without texting the whole way or those so-called "adults" who can't seem to detach a phone from their ear to even take a leak.

These so-called adults drive cars at freeway speeds while severely distracted and yet there's no national outcry, no congressional committees and no moral outrage even while large amounts of evidence and many studies show it's just as bad as being drunk or stoned so I don't know that I'd be rushing to demonize one group so quickly.

Care to answer to the hypocrisy from your soapbox?

One other little fact, there are people who take opiates every day for pain control and have for years.
Their bodies adjust over the years and it doesn't impact the ability to function safely performing daily tasks like driving or operating machinery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Southern California
23,785 posts, read 8,301,716 times
Reputation: 15503
I found this to be True for me which in hospital/rehabs with staph infected knee. The MD's were pumping me with Oxycodone each and every time I was to go for PT so I could do the work and of course the S/E were awful....in between I was taking Ibuprofen and was beginning to realize FOR ME the oxy was not as good as Nsaid. So I worked my way off the oxy.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-c...in-medications

https://khn.org/news/jurys-in-opioid...-chronic-pain/

More pain meds, more pain.

https://www.spine-health.com/blog/ho...e-chronic-pain

What people take is none of my business so continue on your path.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-19-2018 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 10:07 AM
 
569 posts, read 266,580 times
Reputation: 662
Unfortunately there has become such a market for opiate pills these days that some people who are prescribed them due to real pain issues who need the money worse are selling them to others. They find they can get by on less than what their doctor prescribes and still make money to pay for everyday expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Southern California
23,785 posts, read 8,301,716 times
Reputation: 15503
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
Unfortunately there has become such a market for opiate pills these days that some people who are prescribed them due to real pain issues who need the money worse are selling them to others. They find they can get by on less than what their doctor prescribes and still make money to pay for everyday expenses.
This issue is on the radio here a lot and discussions by MD's who say "we are the blame"...we've gotten people addicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,891 posts, read 25,343,932 times
Reputation: 26389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
My colleague who lives in Maryland just had dental surgery for old wisdom teeth that weren't removed properly long ago. Pretty routine, she only missed a couple days work. She told me she was prescribed 4 different kinds of narcotics!!!!

Just saying this to illustrate how much doctors still vary in willingness to prescribe pain meds.
I am willing to bet she is not poor and her dentist is not in a poor area of town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 11:15 AM
KCZ
 
1,680 posts, read 975,681 times
Reputation: 4685
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And yet while you demonize those who take opiates I notice you say NOTHING about the so-called "adults" that can't even walk to the bathroom without texting the whole way or those so-called "adults" who can't seem to detach a phone from their ear to even take a leak.

These so-called adults drive cars at freeway speeds while severely distracted and yet there's no national outcry, no congressional committees and no moral outrage even while large amounts of evidence and many studies show it's just as bad as being drunk or stoned so I don't know that I'd be rushing to demonize one group so quickly.

Care to answer to the hypocrisy from your soapbox?

One other little fact, there are people who take opiates every day for pain control and have for years.
Their bodies adjust over the years and it doesn't impact the ability to function safely performing daily tasks like driving or operating machinery.
Moderator cut: rude comment removed
I did not demonize people with legitimate needs for opiate pain medication. (See post #12). I was responding to the person who thought the FDA/DEA ought to get out of the business of regulating opiates. I stand by my assertion that better regulation is required to keep all impaired drivers, whether from opiates, alcohol, other drugs, cell phones, or other distractions, off the road because some so-called adults cannot regulate their own behavior and put the lives of others at risk. I didn't specifically cite cell phones this time because that's not the topic under discussion here, but if you care to search my other posts, you will quickly get a good idea of my position on using a cell phone while driving. So kindly keep your accusations of hypocrisy to yourself.

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-19-2018 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 11:26 AM
 
Location: planet earth
4,848 posts, read 1,853,019 times
Reputation: 10792
Some people get nasty when they can't easily get their drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 11:32 AM
 
30 posts, read 10,750 times
Reputation: 90
By the way, can we also start ticketing pedestrians for walking and texting without looking? Two years ago a girl in our area was paralyzed for walking right into oncoming traffic. She might as well have been drunk. I am seeing this more and more and more, and it is incredibly dangerous. That and people who jaywalk in dark clothes in dark areas at night. As much as drunk and impaired drivers make me upset, I also feel upset by the pedestrians. Some of them I am convinced are trying to get hit on purpose in order to sue and get easy money or get injured enough to get painkillers. If you talk to any ER-Room doc, they will tell you of all sorts of stories of people trying to intentionally hurt themselves in order to get percocets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top