Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:24 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't agree with any of that. Purdue Pharma desperately wants everyone on oxy and so forth.
Well, then jen with their billions why isn't Purdue flooding Capitol Hill with lobbying dollars to get the restrictions reversed?

And what about the other entities I named?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 09:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, then jen with their billions why isn't Purdue flooding Capitol Hill with lobbying dollars to get the restrictions reversed?

And what about the other entities I named?
I think they did/are, but also they are going global due to the trouble here. More the lawsuits than restrictions. They have been very very naughty. That is why they are in trouble. It's more about their lies and the way they pushed the drug than the drug itself.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Big Pharma. Big Pharma chose not to fight the FDA/DEA on this opiate ban

What ban? With regard to the other entities, none of them have control over the FDA. Big Pharma has a LOT of juice with the FDA. Purdue helped write their own rules.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I think they did/are, but also they are going global due to the trouble here. More the lawsuits than restrictions. They have been very very naughty. That is why they are in trouble. It's more about their lies and the way they pushed the drug than the drug itself.
I am not denying that Purdue did a lot of harm with their campaign strategy in the 90's. It was shameful. But that was then. The results have been that the CDC, the FDA and the DEA used this shameful behavior to act shamefully themselves by cutting off every chronic pain victim in America from pain pills--people who were using them properly, not selling them, not letting them get stolen out of their homes, and who were getting legitimate relief from their crippling pain. The Feds cut them off completely without so much as a "Sorry!"

The Feds haven't stopped with terrorizing every doctor in American from prescribing them. The Feds have even gone so far as to cut the manufacturing of opiates in half which is why most hospitals are experiencing shortages in opiate pain meds for anybody who comes through the doors

Quote:
Hospitals Face Prolonged Injected Opioid Shortage
The other opioid crisis: Hospitals are frequently running out of widely used injected painkillers, and some patients are feeling the pain.
https://www.usnews.com/news/news/art...pioid-shortage

As I implied, this is going far FAR past trying to save a few addicts' lives. The Feds are trying to ban opiates completely in this country, I suspect to help all the other entities I named. Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense for the government to be taking this line of action. Trust me, if the government isn't worried about our boys getting blown to pieces in Afghanistan they certainly aren't worried about a few dopeheads dying because of OD's. So you have to ask yourself, "What does the government gain by throwing 100 million chronic pain patients into endless pain and causing suicide rates to spike?" What? To save a few addicts' lives?

As I said, "Don't follow the lives. Follow the money!"

Old 11-11-2018, 10:02 PM

It's not a few dopeheads though. Every pharmacy now carries Narcan (Narcon?) whatever it is that saves people from overdose. It's an epidemic, and most of the victims started out using them for legit pain. Anyway, there is no ban. And they aren't taking measures to help these other entities. They are trying to help the nationwide crisis, if they overreacted, it's correcting itself.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
It's not a few dopeheads though. Every pharmacy now carries Narcan (Narcon?) whatever it is that saves people from overdose. It's an epidemic, and most of the victims started out using them for legit pain. Anyway, there is no ban. And they aren't taking measures to help these other entities. They are trying to help the nationwide crisis, if they overreacted, it's correcting itself.
Oh heavens, jen. I can see there is no convincing you.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Oh heavens, jen. I can see there is no convincing you.
Correct. Big Pharma has sway over the FDA. The PIC does not. The Cartels do not. The Cartels are on Purdue's side. Purdue creates the addicts that them turn to heroin.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Ask yourselves:"Who benefits financially from having legal prescription opiate banned?" Just follow the money.

1. Drug cartels. IF government agencies are somehow involved with the cartels then they will try to get legitimate pain pills banned so that they can push pain victims to buying heroin on the streets.

2. Medicare/Social Security. Every recipient costs Medicare/SS hundreds of thousands of dollars. Every recipient who commits suicide SAVES Medicare/SS hundreds of thousands of dollars. Which makes Medicare/SS happy--paying out scarce dollars to pain patients getting relief from the pain via prescription pain pills or saving scarce dollars because pain patients chooses to commit suicide or die from OD's from illicit heroin/fentanyl bought illegally because their pain meds have been cut off?

3. Big Pharma. Big Pharma chose not to fight the FDA/DEA on this opiate ban. They wouldn't have chosen not to fight unless they were making more money by losing the revenue from pain pills. How could they make more money by losing profits from prescription opiates? I can think of two ways: 1. more sales of NSAID's 2. longer patents on their other drugs which stop generics from taking away Big Pharma's profits.

4. Alcohol companies. Sales of alcohol are skyrocketing as more pain victims try to drink their way to stopping the pain. Alcohol kills a hundred times more people from liver disease, cancer and heart disease than prescription opiates.

5. Prison/Industrial Complex. Every pain patient caught buying pain pills over the Internet or on the street gets sent to prison. Prisons are traded on the stock exchange now and the more people locked up the more money investors in the PIC make.

6. Rehab centers. People busted for buying heroin on the street might be able to plea their way to rehab instead of prison if it's their first offense. Some luxury rehab facilities charge more than $25,000 for 30 days of treatment.

These are the six entities I can think of off the top of my head who are profiting from your pain because you cannot get prescriptions for legitimate pain meds from your doctor anymore.
I forgot to add one other group that benefits tremendously from the defacto ban on opiates imposed by the FDA/DEA: the medical insurance industry.

Medical insurance/Medicare hated having to pay the high prices for opiates that Big Pharma charged, and now they have an excuse to refuse to pay it: because doctors all over American have been terrorized into not prescribing them anymore and pharmacies have been terrorized into not filling the few scripts that do get written. What's an example of the amount opiates cost:

Quote:
In February, Mr. Zobrosky’s pharmacist told him that his insurance would no longer cover oxymorphone. His out-of-pocket cost for a month’s supply jumped to $1,000 from $225, medical records show.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/h...re-limits.html

And that brings to seven the number of entities I can think of who are benefiting financially from the ban on opiates. I'm sure there are many more.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
There's not a ban on opiates or pain prescription meds.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's not a ban on opiates or pain prescription meds.
I used the term, "defacto ban" Kathryn. That's means it not an official ban but it acts like a ban. If the government has made it impossible to get the drugs that's like a ban, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness