U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 AM
 
Location: planet earth
4,845 posts, read 1,849,974 times
Reputation: 10782

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And yet while you demonize those who take opiates I notice you say NOTHING about the so-called "adults" that can't even walk to the bathroom without texting the whole way or those so-called "adults" who can't seem to detach a phone from their ear to even take a leak.

These so-called adults drive cars at freeway speeds while severely distracted and yet there's no national outcry, no congressional committees and no moral outrage even while large amounts of evidence and many studies show it's just as bad as being drunk or stoned so I don't know that I'd be rushing to demonize one group so quickly.

Care to answer to the hypocrisy from your soapbox?

One other little fact, there are people who take opiates every day for pain control and have for years.
Their bodies adjust over the years and it doesn't impact the ability to function safely performing daily tasks like driving or operating machinery
.
Regarding your "little fact" - people who take opiates every day and have for years - and their body's have "adjusted" are addicted.

There is no such thing as "safely performing daily tasks like driving or operating machinery" under the influence of narcotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2018, 11:37 AM
 
1,214 posts, read 439,209 times
Reputation: 3759
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
They may be adults, but they don't always act like it. Adults taking opiates or other drugs frequently get behind the wheel of a car or put themselves in other situations where they can injure or kill other people. IMHO, that's reason enough to attempt to control abuse of both legal and illegal drugs.
I got it! lets make a constitutional amendment to outlaw the 'bad' drugs... and the 'bad' booze.
Wait a minute Didn't we sorta try that once?
I got it! Lets get rid of cars because they kill thousands every year!
Wait a minute..

ETA.. I see Shooting Stars beat me to the punch. And yeah, the DEA should more appropriately be enforcing the quality of drugs, not their use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Southern California
23,785 posts, read 8,294,729 times
Reputation: 15503
A family member in my daughter's life was on vicodin for something like 25 yrs, she lost a lot of her hearing and ended up with dementia. She died in early 80's as I recall and her mind was gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 12:20 PM
 
Location: South Florida
705 posts, read 1,141,043 times
Reputation: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
And??????

What does another one of your friend's uncles cousins neighbor that died 35+ years ago have to do with the topic?

Now you lose hearing on Vicodin? Prove it.
Hearing loss is associated with Vicodin abuse. Abuse, not use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,785 posts, read 8,294,729 times
Reputation: 15503
House Clinic in LA reports that 50% of their total hearing loss patients experience hearing loss from Vicodin use/abuse. They do a huge number of Cochlear Implants, as it's sudden hearing loss, no hearing.

I heard the 50% number over 10 yrs ago, who knows what it is today.

https://www.promises.com/articles/ab...-hearing-loss/

A relative in my life had the surgery and wears CI and when she takes off the appliances, total deafness. Major life change from V use/abuse.

Rush L is a prime well known on this one.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-19-2018 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
9,255 posts, read 8,323,304 times
Reputation: 20114
I'm in South Florida and so many of the rehabs are here and as a result, the halfway houses.

So many people in recovery work for my husband, probably half of his restaurant staff.

I'd say the relapse rate among them is about 95%.

At lease once a month there is an overdose on my facebook feed and it is heartbreaking that these kids are dying so young.

It is a horrible epidemic and something needs to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,785 posts, read 8,294,729 times
Reputation: 15503
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm in South Florida and so many of the rehabs are here and as a result, the halfway houses.

So many people in recovery work for my husband, probably half of his restaurant staff.

I'd say the relapse rate among them is about 95%.

At lease once a month there is an overdose on my facebook feed and it is heartbreaking that these kids are dying so young.

It is a horrible epidemic and something needs to be done.
I listen to radio all day so I hear this and that and a lot of discussions on the pain med epidemic. I recall talk about pain clinics all over FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 05:54 PM
 
5,128 posts, read 5,851,656 times
Reputation: 8396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

A family member in my daughter's life was on vicodin for something like 25 yrs, she lost a lot of her hearing and ended up with dementia. She died in early 80's as I recall and her mind was gone.
A lot of elderly people lose their hearing. A lot of elderly people end up with dementia.

You know this, right?

Even IF her loss of hearing and dementia could be proven to be caused by Vicodin, are you saying it would have been preferable for her to live in severe pain for 25 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Upper Left Hand Corner
2,582 posts, read 964,892 times
Reputation: 4217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't believe strongly enough as it's so new and we're all muddling with this CBD as so many want to get off pain meds.
Just like anything else, some brands may be more effective than others. Read what reviews you can find on each product. Finding the best ones may just boil down to trial, and error as well as referrals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Upper Left Hand Corner
2,582 posts, read 964,892 times
Reputation: 4217
MJ and Opioids.....

"One might expect the administrator of the nation’s chief drug enforcement agency to be aware of at least some of this data. But Patterson’s testimony proved otherwise.

Specifically, when asked by Florida Republican Matt Gaetz if the DEA was aware of the landmark 2017 National Academy of Sciences study finding, “There is conclusive or substantial evidence that cannabis [is] effective for the treatment for chronic pain,” Patterson answered that he was not.

He further acknowledged that he was unfamiliar with several state-specific, longitudinal studies, such as those from Minnesota and New Mexico, finding that chronic pain patients who register to partake in cannabis therapy dramatically decrease their use of opioids and other pain-relieving drugs. (Separate assessments of state-authorized medical cannabis patients in Illinois, Michigan, New York, and elsewhere affirm these conclusions).

He further claimed ignorance with regard to the findings of a highly publicized study in the Journal of the American Medical Association finding that medical cannabis regulation is associated with year-over-year declines in overall opioid-related mortality, including heroin overdose deaths.

Moreover, when pressed to provide evidence — any evidence — in support of the DEA’s questionable position, Patterson readily admitted that he knew of none. In fact, upon further questioning, he acknowledged that the DEA has, to date, never even so much as reviewed the issue. He further suggested that those patients seeking an alternative to opioid analgesics may wish to try “Tylenol.”"


On marijuana and opioids

--------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top