U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:07 AM

11,246 posts, read 11,267,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's the Florida law - for ACUTE pain (as in after surgery or an accident, not an ongoing chronic pain issue):

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/heal...803-story.html

Here's the Michigan law, which doesn't prohibit doctors from prescribing more than 7 days worth of opioids - it just doesn't allow REFILLS to be prescribed till the 7 day period is up.

In Tennessee, here's the law:

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is - and by the way, none of these restrictions impact or even address prescriptions for chronic pain.
I will bow to the consensus in here. If the consensus is that there's no problem getting opiates from their doctors then so be it. What I know is what I read on a half-dozen pain websites like Nat'l Pain Report

National Pain Report – What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

and the Pain News Network

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org

and the dozens of comments posted at the end of dozens of articles by chronic pain patients who tell their stories like this one:

Quote:

L4-5 discs collapsed. 2 spinal fusions. (2) artificial discs implanted. Left leg pain so bad, I actually scream out loud. Now my pain management doctor has said he is weaning me off of opioids and I am not being given anything as a replacement. I am being forced into considering surgery again in order to try and solve my severe back lumbar stenosis pain and other spinal issues.
Now this is representative of hundreds of stories I read on just these two websites and there are other sites with even more similar comments. So who's right---Kathryn and jen with their

"Don't worry! Everything is fine. You can get all the pain meds you want!"

or CPP's giving hundreds of testimonies about being cut off from their pain meds and who are now contemplating suicide because their lives have been made a living hell as a consequence.

You, dear readers, choose who you want to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 03:05 AM

10,700 posts, read 21,360,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I will bow to the consensus in here. If the consensus is that there's no problem getting opiates from their doctors then so be it. What I know is what I read on a half-dozen pain websites like Nat'l Pain Report

National Pain Report – What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

and the Pain News Network

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org

and the dozens of comments posted at the end of dozens of articles by chronic pain patients who tell their stories like this one:

Now this is representative of hundreds of stories I read on just these two websites and there are other sites with even more similar comments. So who's right---Kathryn and jen with their

"Don't worry! Everything is fine. You can get all the pain meds you want!"

or CPP's giving hundreds of testimonies about being cut off from their pain meds and who are now contemplating suicide because their lives have been made a living hell as a consequence.

You, dear readers, choose who you want to believe
There is a huge problem. I've detailed a few stories of friends being cut down, insurance issues as well as med shortages. There are many issues out there, not just one thing affecting those of us in pain. My hub wants to move but I'm petrified to lose what I know I can get here even if I have to pharmacy hop a few times per year or every other year due to shortages.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:05 PM

44,797 posts, read 36,186,607 times
I do not have severe, chronic pain. However, I do have a joint issue that causes considerable pain (and which I occasionally have to have outpatient surgery for) and have had absolutely zero issues getting the opiate pain meds that I need. And they are covered by insurance as well. That's all I can tell you about my own situation, which is of course anecdotal but it is first hand experience.

More first hand experience I've had, unfortunately, is several close relatives who have become addicted to opiates - originally prescribed for pain relief. I have heard their stories, first hand also, and without exception they have told me that opiates ruined their lives.

And finally, I have first hand experience with a very close relative who was initially prescribed opiates for pain relief after an auto accident who became addicted, then couldn't get the meds anymore, and eventually resorted to heroin - and then to SELLING heroin till he was arrested and charged with several felonies. This is a former honor student with multiple scholarships.

Oh, and I forgot about finding all those prescription drugs in a shoebox in my house, with our son's friends' parents names on the bottles - he and a group of friends were stealing and selling these for pocket money - and apparently the parents didn't know it.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:07 PM

And by the way, for my joint condition, I could probably seek, and probably find, a doctor who would prescribe me opiates for long term pain relief, and I'm sure they would work, but frankly, I don't want to become dependent on opiates for pain relief, after seeing the devastation that it's caused several people I know. In many cases, opiate addictions compound an already complex and disabling condition.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:40 PM

5,356 posts, read 6,445,697 times
Quote:
And by the way, for my joint condition, I could probably seek, and probably find, a doctor who would prescribe me opiates for long term pain relief, and I'm sure they would work, but frankly, I don't want to become dependent on opiates for pain relief, after seeing the devastation that it's caused several people I know. In many cases, opiate addictions compound an already complex and disabling condition.
There are lots of people who do take opiates for pain relief that don't become addicted. Obviously its a personal choice on how anyone deals with pain. But a scrip for opiates does not mean automatic addiction.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM

23,775 posts, read 8,259,495 times
Quote:
I've taken them and a loved one got messed up on vicodin but addiction for me was never a concern, it's the side effects I had when I took them in the rehabs for knee. And they didn't seem to do much more than ibuprofen, unless doc bumped up the dose and with that the worse side effects.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:08 PM

I've taken them several times for a week or two and had no issues with addiction, but like you, jaminhealth, I didn't like the other side effects. For starters, I had horrible constipation. But I also developed a really messed up sleep pattern, or rather, lack thereof. It was like I could doze anywhere, anytime, but I couldn't get into that deep REM sleep if that makes sense, so after a few days I was incredibly fatigued.

Still - I've had several family members become addicted and I just didn't want to take that chance.

I had pain when I quit taking them (though they were effective for the pain) and I still have significant pain just about every day. But I can deal with it in other ways. It never goes away entirely but I never got a guarantee from anywhere or anyone saying I'd have a pain free life.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There are lots of people who do take opiates for pain relief that don't become addicted. Obviously its a personal choice on how anyone deals with pain. But a scrip for opiates does not mean automatic addiction.

I realize that. If that was the case, I would have become addicted long ago - or struggled with addiction last month for that matter, when I easily got a prescription for hydrocodone filled. (I still have quite a few left over since I only took it for three days, and last year I got a 30 day prescription just as easily - still have most of those as well - I had forgotten I had them to be honest.)

Old 11-26-2018, 08:49 PM

13,408 posts, read 6,702,402 times
Quote:
I realize that. If that was the case, I would have become addicted long ago - or struggled with addiction last month for that matter, when I easily got a prescription for hydrocodone filled. (I still have quite a few left over since I only took it for three days, and last year I got a 30 day prescription just as easily - still have most of those as well - I had forgotten I had them to be honest.)
Your body starts developing a tolerance after 10 days. However, you didn't LIKE the way they made you feel. -0- risk of addiction. I LIKED the 'false sense of well-being' (listed side effect) I used to get from hydrocodone. No pain and a bonus.

THAT is what gets a lot of people. Now, it makes me feel like ick. Could be my own brain hating the high because it's scary, IDK. I just know I don't like it.

Codeine could nab me if I let it. That for me is like how heroin is supposed to feel. On a much smaller scale of course, but I mean the ultimate relaxation. amazing sleep. The blissful sleep is 'addicting'.

Honestly, I would take it more often if I was not afraid of addiction. I have chronic pain. Not agony, but pain. It sucks to have it all the time. It's wonderful for it to melt away. I literally would like one right now. I am tired. I hurt. I would love uninterrupted, pain free sleep. But I can't sleep all the time, so that med is out.

If it let me stay awake, who knows. In the evenings, at least, it would be nice to relax pain free. Instead I will be propping myself up and constantly changing position, never finding a good one. The point is not a whine, it's how easy it could and would be to get addicted from legitimate pain usage.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:26 PM

5,356 posts, read 6,445,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Your body starts developing a tolerance after 10 days. However, you didn't LIKE the way they made you feel. -0- risk of addiction. I LIKED the 'false sense of well-being' (listed side effect) I used to get from hydrocodone. No pain and a bonus.

THAT is what gets a lot of people. Now, it makes me feel like ick. Could be my own brain hating the high because it's scary, IDK. I just know I don't like it.

Codeine could nab me if I let it. That for me is like how heroin is supposed to feel. On a much smaller scale of course, but I mean the ultimate relaxation. amazing sleep. The blissful sleep is 'addicting'.

Honestly, I would take it more often if I was not afraid of addiction. I have chronic pain. Not agony, but pain. It sucks to have it all the time. It's wonderful for it to melt away. I literally would like one right now. I am tired. I hurt. I would love uninterrupted, pain free sleep. But I can't sleep all the time, so that med is out.

If it let me stay awake, who knows. In the evenings, at least, it would be nice to relax pain free. Instead I will be propping myself up and constantly changing position, never finding a good one. The point is not a whine, it's how easy it could and would be to get addicted from legitimate pain usage.
I have been on opioids for one reason or another my whole life it seems. Whenever I need to get a new scrip for them I always love that initial buzz of euphoria. It only takes a day or two before that goes away and all I feel is pain relief and then I have constipation, interrupted sleep, and all the other crap that goes with. They have and do relieve my pain. But becoming an addict? No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness