U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:33 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,294,729 times

Advertisements

In the times I took opiates for hip replacement and then staph infection, never got that buzz of euphoria. In the rehabs as I was taking them for some months, feeling like I was losing my mind too, not a good feeling...fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 09:48 PM

13,410 posts, read 6,713,100 times
Your brain starts to depend on them for dopamine regardless of whether you realize it or not. That is simply a fact of how these chemicals work.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:49 PM

13,410 posts, read 6,713,100 times
They do nothing against pain. They trick your brain into thinking there is no pain.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:53 PM

1,702 posts, read 3,172,060 times
One of my pain Dr.s became the subject of an DEA investigation due to the number of opioid scripts written or compounded for pain pumps.

They insisted that he stop treating so many patients or he would be criminally charged. He ended up 'firing' 3/4 of his patients and kept his pain pump patients. Luckily, he kept as a patient.

The DEA insisted that the Dr. was not qualified to compound the meds for the pain pumps. It was amusing that the DEA chose to go after the Dr. on THIS issue, since the Dr. helped to develop the proper protocol for these pain pumps.

It took them 6-9 months of probing before quietly dropping the investigation.

The majority of those let go from the practice could not find another Doctor willing and able to accept them as new patients.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,850,381 times
Doctors are absolutely running scared of the DEA.

My (former) dentist would NOT give me opioids for a freaking cracked tooth. I was in such debilitating pain, that I couldn't shower or function to do anything. I couldn't drive to the appointment with the oral surgeon that the dentist had set for me. He was a two hour drive away.

I had to get a later appointment and some medication from a friend who had a leftover prescription just to become functional enough to make the trip.

The crack in the tooth was so deep, that when the oral surgeon put dye in it, he couldn't find the bottom. It was all nerve pain, which is the worst.

If I had to live with that kind of pain long enough, I would have killed myself. Period. End of story.

I was so furious with that dentist, I will never go back to him. I despise people who downplay what severe pain does to a person, and I wish they would be forced to experience it for themselves.

I am currently taking care of a stroke victim who has a lot of pain from his muscles contracting uncontrollably. His doctor gave him some narcotic that knocked him out, so he didn't want to take it. Kratom has been a Godsend because it relieves the pain without making him sleep through the whole day. And now the FDA and DEA wants to get rid of Kratom based on bogus information. Plus, they refuse to respond to a request for a meeting with the National Kratom Association who has requested a chance to present information.

We know a pharmacist at an independent pharmacy who quit filling prescriptions for LEGAL mail order narcotics because the DEA became so overbearing. It wasn't worth it to jump through all the hoops and paperwork anymore. The customers had to find some other pharmacy.

The FDA and DEA are out of control. Never forget that the FDA is partially funded by Big Pharma, which creates a conflict of interest and should never have happened.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:00 AM

12,886 posts, read 15,445,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They trick your brain into thinking there is no pain.
Isn't that what you'd call pain relief?
Isn't that "pain relief" what patients want????
Isn't that what ALL pain killers do?
Wouldn't you rather be [tricked] and suffer less pain, than not be tricked and suffer immense pain?

Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Your brain starts to depend on them for dopamine regardless of whether you realize it or not. That is simply a fact of how these chemicals work.
So what????
If it works for the pain...why do you care??
It IS possible ,you know, to stop the opioids when no longer needed.
Properly weaned works good.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:08 AM

5,470 posts, read 2,355,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Doctors are absolutely running scared of the DEA.

My (former) dentist would NOT give me opioids for a freaking cracked tooth. I was in such debilitating pain, that I couldn't shower or function to do anything. I couldn't drive to the appointment with the oral surgeon that the dentist had set for me. He was a two hour drive away.

I had to get a later appointment and some medication from a friend who had a leftover prescription just to become functional enough to make the trip.

The crack in the tooth was so deep, that when the oral surgeon put dye in it, he couldn't find the bottom. It was all nerve pain, which is the worst.

If I had to live with that kind of pain long enough, I would have killed myself. Period. End of story.

I was so furious with that dentist, I will never go back to him. I despise people who downplay what severe pain does to a person, and I wish they would be forced to experience it for themselves.

I am currently taking care of a stroke victim who has a lot of pain from his muscles contracting uncontrollably. His doctor gave him some narcotic that knocked him out, so he didn't want to take it. Kratom has been a Godsend because it relieves the pain without making him sleep through the whole day. And now the FDA and DEA wants to get rid of Kratom based on bogus information. Plus, they refuse to respond to a request for a meeting with the National Kratom Association who has requested a chance to present information.

We know a pharmacist at an independent pharmacy who quit filling prescriptions for LEGAL mail order narcotics because the DEA became so overbearing. It wasn't worth it to jump through all the hoops and paperwork anymore. The customers had to find some other pharmacy.

The FDA and DEA are out of control. Never forget that the FDA is partially funded by Big Pharma, which creates a conflict of interest and should never have happened.

It's beyond insanity. I can relate to the tooth pain. My God. It's flipping hell. I had twins and 3 heart attacks and none of them even came close to the tooth pain. None.

That should have been medicated. If that happens again, go to ER. When you're done, getting up off the floor from the agony, maybe they'll help.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:54 AM

2 scenarios for you jencam.....

there's two patients with the same progressive ,very painful condition.

One patient (patient 1)sees a doctor whose more concerned about addiction or dependence on a painkiller that works, (or as you say "tricks the brain"), than his patients daily quality of life.... and so refuses to prescribe it.

The other patient (patient 2) sees a doctor who prescribes the opioids that work and relieve the patients pain.

Patient (1) suffers incredibly...is unable to work....can't go out to interact with others....is bedridden a good number of days....becomes very depressed about the POOR quality of his/her life.

patient(2) takes his/her opioid medication daily, suffers very little pain...is able to continue working...still gets out and about occasionally, and still enjoys his/her life.

Which doctor do you think is helping their patient the most?

Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,451,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
2 scenarios for you jencam.....

there's two patients with the same progressive ,very painful condition.

One patient (patient 1)sees a doctor whose more concerned about addiction or dependence on a painkiller that works, (or as you say "tricks the brain"), than his patients daily quality of life.... and so refuses to prescribe it.

The other patient (patient 2) sees a doctor who prescribes the opioids that work and relieve the patients pain.

Patient (1) suffers incredibly...is unable to work....can't go out to interact with others....is bedridden a good number of days....becomes very depressed about the POOR quality of his/her life.

patient(2) takes his/her opioid medication daily, suffers very little pain...is able to continue working...still gets out and about occasionally, and still enjoys his/her life.

Which doctor do you think is helping their patient the most?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness