U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 12:29 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,846,404 times

Advertisements

I thought the pain I underwent after a tubal ligation that made me want to start screaming on the ride home was unbearable. And it was . . . until we could get the Vicodin prescription filled. I remember being so afraid of the pain coming back, that I wouldn't let the bottle of pills out of my sight. I had to take them for a week because the pain just wouldn't subside. My doctor said I was one of a small percentage of women that have that reaction, and they only had theories as to why the pain is so severe for some.

Yet, the cracked tooth was worse. I didn't think anything could be worse. The dentist would only give me prescription Ibuprofen, which did nothing at all. Too afraid of getting into trouble with the DEA to worry about my comfort or sanity.

These people who defend a system that is causing more and more pain victims to go without pain relief, are moronically stupid at best, and sadists at worse.

We are not supposed to wish ill on other people, but I DO wish intolerable pain + inadequate pain treatment on them. Let them have the experience of asking themselves how long they can hold on without offing themselves.

It's clearly the only way they are going to LEARN what intolerable levels of pain feel like, or develop any empathy. And since I'm such a kind *****, I'll agree to turn off the pain once they figure it out.

I know a woman whose teenage son got into trouble with illegal drugs. Repeatedly. Because her son is a perpetually clueless dumb ass, she now wants ridiculously tight controls on narcotics. She refuses to understand that pain victims shouldn't pay the price for her son's determination to ruin his own life. I had a hard time with that conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

2 scenarios for you jencam.....

there's two patients with the same progressive ,very painful condition.

One patient (patient 1)sees a doctor whose more concerned about addiction or dependence on a painkiller that works, (or as you say "tricks the brain"), than his patients daily quality of life.... and so refuses to prescribe it.

The other patient (patient 2) sees a doctor who prescribes the opioids that work and relieve the patients pain.

Patient (1) suffers incredibly...is unable to work....can't go out to interact with others....is bedridden a good number of days....becomes very depressed about the POOR quality of his/her life.

patient(2) takes his/her opioid medication daily, suffers very little pain...is able to continue working...still gets out and about occasionally, and still enjoys his/her life.

Which doctor do you think is helping their patient the most?

That is a perfect description of the fallout of these new policies.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:01 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,347,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I thought the pain I underwent after a tubal ligation that made me want to start screaming on the ride home was unbearable. And it was . . . until we could get the Vicodin prescription filled. I remember being so afraid of the pain coming back, that I wouldn't let the bottle of pills out of my sight. I had to take them for a week because the pain just wouldn't subside. My doctor said I was one of a small percentage of women that have that reaction, and they only had theories as to why the pain is so severe for some.

Yet, the cracked tooth was worse. I didn't think anything could be worse. The dentist would only give me prescription Ibuprofen, which did nothing at all. Too afraid of getting into trouble with the DEA to worry about my comfort or sanity.

These people who defend a system that is causing more and more pain victims to go without pain relief, are moronically stupid at best, and sadists at worse.

We are not supposed to wish ill on other people, but I DO wish intolerable pain + inadequate pain treatment on them. Let them have the experience of asking themselves how long they can hold on without offing themselves.

It's clearly the only way they are going to LEARN what intolerable levels of pain feel like, or develop any empathy. And since I'm such a kind *****, I'll agree to turn off the pain once they figure it out.

I know a woman whose teenage son got into trouble with illegal drugs. Repeatedly. Because her son is a perpetually clueless dumb ass, she now wants ridiculously tight controls on narcotics. She refuses to understand that pain victims shouldn't pay the price for her son's determination to ruin his own life. I had a hard time with that conversation.
Amen. Amen. Amen.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:13 PM

2,658 posts, read 1,551,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
2 scenarios for you jencam.....

there's two patients with the same progressive ,very painful condition.

One patient (patient 1)sees a doctor whose more concerned about addiction or dependence on a painkiller that works, (or as you say "tricks the brain"), than his patients daily quality of life.... and so refuses to prescribe it.

The other patient (patient 2) sees a doctor who prescribes the opioids that work and relieve the patients pain.

Patient (1) suffers incredibly...is unable to work....can't go out to interact with others....is bedridden a good number of days....becomes very depressed about the POOR quality of his/her life.

patient(2) takes his/her opioid medication daily, suffers very little pain...is able to continue working...still gets out and about occasionally, and still enjoys his/her life.

Which doctor do you think is helping their patient the most?

You say it perfectly. I couldn’t agree more. Without pain management I’d be at home on the couch absent from my life. With it I can work, parent and be a productive member of society. I feel horrible for people who get addicted but don’t forget that at some point along the way they made a choice to take a pill when they didn’t need it. Many studies show that number to be under 5%. We need more data to predict behavior and addiction potential and to make sure the use continues to be safe for the patient. Doctors should use these medications cautiously but shouldn’t be afraid to use their training as appropriate to prescribe them when other interventions have failed, or when a painful surgery or procedure is being done.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:06 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,435,478 times
something to think about....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdINgFoVmfc

Old 11-28-2018, 05:22 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,435,478 times
this (2 minute video) for anyone that believes you can get it when truly needed, or that they would never deny a cancer patient

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q-9wNmcv30

Old 11-28-2018, 06:32 PM

13,408 posts, read 6,702,402 times
Another anecdote: A friend got scripted (60) tabs of hydrocodone 7.5 mgs. Wal Mart said they'd only do 7 days, and to go to CVS. She did and game home with (60) tabs. And gabapentin. And Valium. All together. For a surgery. Apparently not all pharmacies are doing the (7) day thing.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

Another anecdote: A friend got scripted (60) tabs of hydrocodone 7.5 mgs. Wal Mart said they'd only do 7 days, and to go to CVS. She did and game home with (60) tabs. And gabapentin. And Valium. All together. For a surgery. Apparently not all pharmacies are doing the (7) day thing.
Awww, well that anecdote just fixes everything, doesn't it?

Carry on. Nothing to see here. Nothing at all. Everything is as it should be.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:40 PM

13,408 posts, read 6,702,402 times
Wal mart told me all that would be needed is for the Dr. to verify that it's a chronic pain condition and they would have filled the 60 tabs. It's not chronic, so I asked what about that? He said the Dr. would have to do a second script after the 7 day one and that could be for however many days.

This doesn't negate anyone's experience, but claims were made that 7 days is it, chronic or acute, anywhere, and that is simply not true.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:46 PM

Everyone needs to watch this.

This is the fallout of a drug policy that tilts too far one way, and a medical system that is poorly designed to treat pain and assess risk.

This lady is an attorney for the Justice Department, and even she had a hard time getting prescriptions for intolerable chronic pain.

The video also points out that a minority of the population abuses opioids, and most of them get them illegally. Allowing non-abusing patients with legitimate needs to suffer because of a minority is as stupid as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4vHSLeTe-s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness