Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:49 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You might want to read your own links. This quote from just one of the links you posted says it all.
What makes you think I haven't read these? I have a very good reason to educate myself about this. Having lived with whole body pain for over 21yrs you better believe that I read everything I can concerning it, and it's alleviation. Also, I as well as most people, are aware that it's the feds that are the ones standing in the way with their red tape. That is common knowledge, and true for MJ products as well as with other pain killers leaving those of us in constant pain with no recourse.

But all these studies, and many, many more are still being done anyway. America isn't the only country studying mj. See the link from the World Health Organization. I just copied from the first page of results. This is by no means the only studies out there. Do your own research. I only started the ball rolling. When someone says there are NO studies on it I showed that there are. There is help for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 12:50 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
From what I've seen of some people I've known, their doctors kept writing scripts for vicodin for many years. As I've said before here, I've heard MD's on the radio saying "we are the blame"..

Old 06-21-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
From what I've seen of some people I've known, their doctors kept writing scripts for vicodin for many years. As I've said before here, I've heard MD's on the radio saying "we are the blame"..
I don't think the doctors would prescribe so much if they didn't receive all those incentives from Big Pharma. They get trips, dinners, $, and other bonuses. They are both to blame. Not all docs of course, but enough to be a big part of the problem.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:19 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I don't think the doctors would prescribe so much if they didn't receive all those incentives from Big Pharma. They get trips, dinners, $, and other bonuses. They are both to blame. Not all docs of course, but enough to be a big part of the problem.
This person I'm talking about probably started on "V" in her later 50's and took it for many yrs, she died in her mid 80's or thereabouts and memory gone and hearing. Whether her long time doctor got bonuses who knows, but they wrote so much more than they do today.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbook View Post
It's funny.....I once had a horrific cough that I couldn't get rid of. My doctor finally had to prescribe me robitussin with codeine. I asked my doc why the codeine. Well apparently the mild euphoric elements of codeine actually serve as a "distraction" in your mind which keeps you from coughing. Sure enough, my cough ended in no time.
About 40 yrs ago I had one of those horrific coughs too. It was so constant, and bad that I hurt my side muscles from coughing. I was given cough syrup with codeine, and I don't remember getting high at all. All I remember is I got the best sleep ever without coughing, and was able to heal. I slept like a rock more than anything else for 2-3 days. It was just what I needed. I will always remember it with fondness .

Oxycodone for my extractions never got me high in the least even when I took whole ones. Not even a tiny bit. But they scared me so I only would take 1/2 tablets x3 for 2-3 days, or so. At 3 days I noticed that they weren't working as well. So that was a good time to stop for me. But they got me through the worst part after the novocaine wore off. I'd have 1-2 teeth pulled every month as I could afford it. So this went on for months. I would save what was left till the next extraction party. The last was 11 teeth out, and was a fiesta of pain, lol. Now I look like an extra from Deliverance . But at least that part is over with. No more mercury fillings, or tetracycline ruined teeth. I still don't feel any better though .

I'm thinking someone would have to take a lot of those pills in order to get high from them. If that was their intent. They didn't do anything for me at all in that respect. But then, everybody is different. So, I don't understand why people would want to take them for fun. They weren't fun for me at all, just necessary.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:09 PM

"The National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine released a comprehensive report on Thursday acknowledging that “conclusive or substantial evidence” exists for the efficacy of whole-plant cannabis and its derivatives in patients suffering from chronic pain, multiple sclerosis, and other disorders."

Authors reviewed over 10,000 scientific abstracts when compiling their findings. The report marks the agency’s first comprehensive review since 1999 specific to the science surrounding marijuana and health."

“In adults with chronic pain, patients who were treated with cannabis or cannabinoids (constituents found organically in the marijuana plant) are more likely to experience a clinically significant reduction of pain symptoms,” experts concluded. They also affirmed that marijuana-derived medicines are effective anti-emetics and that they improve symptoms of spasticity."

Scientific review of marijuana supports regulation, not criminalization | TheHill

http://nationalacademies.org/hmd/rep...nabinoids.aspx

-------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-21-2018, 03:37 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Including Peyote and the Heroin poppy?
Peyote, why not? Like marijuana, it doesn't have a lethal dose. And the side effects are apparently really unpleasant (lots of barfing) so I doubt it'd ever become super widely recreationally used compared to other available hallucinogens.

I'm pretty sure you can legally grow the type of poppy heroin is made of in the US already. It's the same poppy species that most food poppyseeds come from, too, I think? I'm sure there are some restrictions on it, but in terms of having a few in your garden or whatever, no one cares.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:41 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
The war on opiates started 4 yrs ago (2014) & things have calmed down quite a bit since then. Some VA hospitals are tougher then others but if you have a good relationship with your doctor then it should work out ok. Best of luck.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:11 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
[quote=mlulu23;52266833]About 40 yrs ago I had one of those horrific coughs too. It was so constant, and bad that I hurt my side muscles from coughing. I was given cough syrup with codeine, and I don't remember getting high at all. All I remember is I got the best sleep ever without coughing, and was able to heal. I slept like a rock more than anything else for 2-3 days. It was just what I needed. I will always remember it with fondness .

Oxycodone for my extractions never got me high in the least even when I took whole ones. Not even a tiny bit. But they scared me so I only would take 1/2 tablets x3 for 2-3 days, or so. At 3 days I noticed that they weren't working as well. So that was a good time to stop for me. But they got me through the worst part after the novocaine wore off. I'd have 1-2 teeth pulled every month as I could afford it. So this went on for months. I would save what was left till the next extraction party. The last was 11 teeth out, and was a fiesta of pain, lol. Now I look like an extra from Deliverance . But at least that part is over with. No more mercury fillings, or tetracycline ruined teeth. I still don't feel any better though .

I'm thinking someone would have to take a lot of those pills in order to get high from them. If that was their intent. They didn't do anything for me at all in that respect. But then, everybody is different. So, I don't understand why people would want to take them for fun. They weren't fun for me at all, just necessary.[/QUOT

Dentists? I can go back decades with that. Thirty years after two extraction and a cyst removal which involved scraping my jaw bone, dentist gave me that opiod. Take one pill. I took half and was out cold for 6 hours. My husband could not wake me up. When I finally woke up, I couldn't walk or talk. I swore never again.

Four years ago I had another extraction. Whoopee in comparison. Dentist insisted I take the script. "You WILL be in pain and I don't want you calling me for a script when you ARE in pain afterwards". I walked out. His assistant followed me to my car with script in hand. "Doctor SAYS you will need this script for pain". We got into an argument in the parking lot. If I say NO, then it is NO. When I went back to that Dentist, he shook my hand and said that in his 20 years of practice that I was the ONLY patient who did not need medication for pain after surgery. WHAT does that say about general public? Incidentally,with all my dental work over 50 years, I have only taken ONE Tylenol, not even two. At 98 lbs. children's dosage of OTC works fine for me.

It is not One Size Fits All.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Dentists? I can go back decades with that. Thirty years after two extraction and a cyst removal which involved scraping my jaw bone, dentist gave me that opioid. Take one pill. I took half and was out cold for 6 hours. My husband could not wake me up. When I finally woke up, I couldn't walk or talk. I swore never again.

Four years ago I had another extraction. Whoopee in comparison. Dentist insisted I take the script. "You WILL be in pain and I don't want you calling me for a script when you ARE in pain afterwards". I walked out. His assistant followed me to my car with script in hand. "Doctor SAYS you will need this script for pain". We got into an argument in the parking lot. If I say NO, then it is NO. When I went back to that Dentist, he shook my hand and said that in his 20 years of practice that I was the ONLY patient who did not need medication for pain after surgery. WHAT does that say about general public? Incidentally,with all my dental work over 50 years, I have only taken ONE Tylenol, not even two. At 98 lbs. children's dosage of OTC works fine for me. It is not One Size Fits All.
Wow, that is pretty scary all right. I don't remember what the strength of mine was. Maybe yours was much stronger, idk. And some people are super sensitive to the drugs, or supplements they take. I wonder if those symptoms are on the list of known side effects. Or a different drug than mine altogether. But I don't blame you for being skittish.

What that says is that your dentist, and staff are very pushy. Most people would finally give up, and take the darn prescription just to shut them up, lol. Seriously, how many times did they bug you about it? Just because someone takes the script doesn't mean they used it, or used all of it. They might have thrown it into the circular file when out of sight.

I never implied one size fit's all. I gave my experience, and simply wondered about the rest. It's always good to get feedback. And as I mentioned above our doses may have been different. I'm a larger person than you @ 5'7" 137. So I may need a little more to have the same effect, or you are drug sensitive. I've stated before on this thread that everyone is different. I started having dental work in the early 60's so have been at it for awhile too .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness