Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I think it is BS that people in pain can't get their meds now (or trouble getting their meds). I watched my mom suffer a lot because of this. Finally, we found a doctor who realized she was a responsible person who needed medicine. I feel some resentment towards the way addicts are preventing people from getting meds they need.
But in many states you can just run out and get MJ. Crazy world we're living in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:19 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
2 mos on pain meds post-op isn't exactly "experience". Some people have had to take pain meds long term and are not addicted. "Terrified" of being addicted is exactly what this "war on pain meds" has done to some people. It doesn't magically happen. Boom! Addicted. Nope. It's extremely rare, especially post op, to be suddenly be walking the streets for heroin...

MOST people are not addicted- EVER.
I agree. The government is using a sledge hammer in the "war on drugs" when all is needed is a scalpel.

Sure a scalpel/surgical precision is needed to keep abusers away and off drugs as that is reasonable. However, most people are not abusers and in using a sledgehammer/heavy handed approach (assuming most are or will be abusers), the government is indirectly (through trickle down) either denying legitimate pain users legitimate pain relief or, making legitimate pain users jump through hoops, increasing their stress on top of their suffering.

Surely there is a better, more balanced, more reasonable way for the government and the state of pain management then using a sledge hammer when all is needed is a scalpel.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:35 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Mikala that is ridiculous!! It’s the most common post op pain med prescribed and pharmacies don’t have it?? I would almost wonder if they’re lying to you because I can’t imagine them 1) not having it and 2) not ordering more. Good luck, I hope you find it soon!
Cross my heart. But to clarify, it is just Walgreen's (you can call my local store!). I haven't gone to the others yet, I will today.

We are close to a hospital, so I will probably just to there directly. I think I had to do that last surgery because the quantity was 30 ct.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-31-2018, 11:17 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Cross my heart. But to clarify, it is just Walgreen's (you can call my local store!). I haven't gone to the others yet, I will today.

We are close to a hospital, so I will probably just to there directly. I think I had to do that last surgery because the quantity was 30 ct.

That’s crazy!! I got my post op script for 50 oxycodone filled at Walgreens bear me without any issues.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:19 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
That’s crazy!! I got my post op script for 50 oxycodone filled at Walgreens bear me without any issues.
It may depend what part of the country you are in. Some states have very high opiate addiction problems.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I have found this branch not be particularly well run, but I can say that about other pharmacies in our area too.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:36 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Nope, they're not lying. There are increasingly more and more pharmacies that refuse to carry opiates after the new laws about two years ago went into effect. The hassle from the DEA,customers,potential for robbery and that storage requirements for said drugs has about tripled in size makes selling them for the little profit they get just not worth it...
Im not sure about that, insurance companies LOVE opioids, as they are the cheapest form of treatment usually. Insurance and pharma industry have ALOT of influence over policy.

The DEA is the real enemy in all of this, they are the ones who ensure the drug cartels do not have any competition, they are basically the cartels lobbying and enforcement arm in the US. If you look at all the laws and regulations the DEA has had a part in creating or changing, they ALL benefit or favor the drug cartels and their illegal drugs.

Its safer for opioid addicts to use/ abuse prescription narcotics versus street heroin, at least with the pills, they know what they are taking, with street heroin, it could have anything and everything added to it to increase weight.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:05 PM

Really? Cause my insurance is pulling meds like pain killers. They are making doctors re-justify the use, and then decide whether or not they will continue coverage.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:08 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Really? Cause my insurance is pulling meds like pain killers. They are making doctors re-justify the use, and then decide whether or not they will continue coverage.
Exactly.

Unlike others, I am sure of it, insurance companies no longer love opioids.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure about that, insurance companies LOVE opioids, as they are the cheapest form of treatment usually. Insurance and pharma industry have ALOT of influence over policy.

The DEA is the real enemy in all of this, they are the ones who ensure the drug cartels do not have any competition, they are basically the cartels lobbying and enforcement arm in the US. If you look at all the laws and regulations the DEA has had a part in creating or changing, they ALL benefit or favor the drug cartels and their illegal drugs.

Its safer for opioid addicts to use/ abuse prescription narcotics versus street heroin, at least with the pills, they know what they are taking, with street heroin, it could have anything and everything added to it to increase weight.
The insurance companies don't dictate what a Pharmacy carries, trust me, they don't have that kind of power especially when they pay so little to the Pharmacy to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness