Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:39 AM

119 posts, read 88,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
{Measuring pain as the "fifth vital sign"} still should be for legit patients... It's outrageous that it is not.
It is in my office, and across the health system in which I practice. We routinely ask patients about pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:49 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You bring up another interesting issue. Most people INCLUDING Doctors have no idea what a pain med regimen costs. I've been to a couple of pain clinics and the first thing they wanted to do is take me off the cheap opiate that worked and put me on a cocktail of more expensive drugs, one being $50 per 24 hour dose AFTER insurance vs the opiate that cost $8 per MONTH.
So true...saaaad too!

Old 09-19-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

But drop the snark. I never said or implied that "losers are the ones that REALLY need opiates." I don't consider myself, or my mother, or my grandmother losers in any way.

And I never implied or said that either....
definition of snark: (your words)..."I guess you could ask my uncle--no, wait,he's dead".

Old 09-19-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know acetaminophen is horrible on the liver, and I know they are combined..... but why blame the opiate for the liver damage, but not the acetaminophen?

It is the offending substance in this case.
yes...it's very concerning..........

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/46607.php

"these results indicate it was the acetaminophen" [tylenol] "rather than the opiate that was having the effect" [liver damage].

Old 09-19-2018, 12:06 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,409,001 times
Hydrocodone can be compounded at the pharmacy w/o acetaminophen. No idea how practical this is, but it can be done. I dislike that they don't just offer the pill form that way. My mother was allergic to the acetaminophen. No Dr. offered compounding. Tramadol according to her is weak. She had to step up to oxy to get any relief, but most Drs. wouldn't script that. Only a hospital doc sometimes.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:20 PM

Sorry to read that....it's really throws docs for a loop when you tell them you can't have acetaminophen...nurses as well...some of them just flat our express disbelief.
I've always told them I take asperin because of it...that seems to calm them down.....unless you're just out of surgery....then it's a bit of a delay while they figure out what they can give you instead.
1 50mg of tramadol has the same potency as 2 mg of hydromorphone, yet the hydromorphone costs much less than half of what the tramadol costs.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:22 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,561,985 times
Atheistastroguy - I feel your pain in many ways as I also have a relatively rare disorder (CRPS) albeit not nearly as rare as yours. But it’s permanent and can be controlled but will be around for the rest of my life. I thankfully get by on a very low dose of opioids currently and am trying to for as long as possible because I fear what you describe especially since I’m only in my 30s. Hang in there and I pray you continue to get the meds you need in the doses you need.

Jimj - you have excellent points re costs. My opioid is $2.56 a month. My PT is $50, 3/wk, MD is $50 copays, same with psych counseling to learn alternative coping mechanisms. I spend as much on appt copays as I do on my mortgage each month. If it reaches a point where I don’t see the return on that investment I will be scaling back and relying on meds more but for now, it’s worth it. But I can definitely see how someone wore less resources and time wouldn’t opt to do all of these other things.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:22 PM

50,106 posts, read 35,741,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
yes...it's very concerning..........

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/46607.php

"these results indicate it was the acetaminophen" [tylenol] "rather than the opiate that was having the effect" [liver damage].
Tylenol is the number one cause of acute liver failure in this country now. We had a patient just this morning, had her Percocet at 6am, had therapy at 11 am when it was wearing off. With an hour to go before the next Perc, the nurse says "I can give you some Tylenol if you're having breakthrough pain". Hello, you are giving her Tylenol on top of more Tylenol. For some reason the medical community still looks at it as a benign drug.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:44 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,409,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Tylenol is the number one cause of acute liver failure in this country now. We had a patient just this morning, had her Percocet at 6am, had therapy at 11 am when it was wearing off. With an hour to go before the next Perc, the nurse says "I can give you some Tylenol if you're having breakthrough pain". Hello, you are giving her Tylenol on top of more Tylenol. For some reason the medical community still looks at it as a benign drug.
Good Lord. I was told to take ibuprofen when I was on hydrocodone. IIRC one of each every 3 hours, so there were 6 hours between each kind.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:19 PM

9,198 posts, read 10,967,756 times
War on Poverty.
War on Drugs.
War on Terror.

All yooj successes!

What could possibly go wrong with a war on opiates by overpaid detached bureaucrats in Washington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness