U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 AM

68,682 posts, read 78,692,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
For my SIL it was life or death--the hernia apparently had gotten worse and started to bind the colon--why she was in such pain--
If it had not been repaired her colon would have necretized and led to gangrene

I was just surprised she was released from hospital so quickly--I think she was really there less than 24 hrs
And when you deal with ER doctors/surgeons you often get very little personal contact--
The nurses do most of the information providing
People have to be pro-active in seeking information too and I don't know how these people (her son and his wife) act around doctors....some people just don't ask lot of questions at all
We were lucky, hubby was able to have the surgery performed by the same doctor who had done so many surgeries on him, so we had good communication with him. And yes, he too was only in the hospital for about 24 hours after surgery. In fact, it wasn't quite that long as the doctor released him about 3pm. The surgery was done the day before at 4:30 or so.

I completely agree about depending on the doctors on call at the hospital if you can not have your own doctor involved. this happened to hubby last Sept when he ended up in ICU because of a cat bite. The hospital doctor was not very helpful, kept him there way to long and even the nurses couldn't figure out what she was doing or why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Can't agree with this more. With the way Medicare doctors push surgeries and procedures through like an assembly line (you can tell I am disillusioned after years of dealing with mother, father and mother-in-law's medical issues) patients are not always informed about the risks of anesthesia especially in further advanced ages. My mother's dementia was kicked into high gear after her last surgery (knee). Prior to surgery she was doing the family business bookkeeping and taxes, took full care of herself, etc. After surgery she was slow and confused and needed full care.She had no strokes. Even though she regained some of her former cognitive self she never truly recovered.

If the symptoms persist even after diagnosis/treatment of a UTI it could be anesthesia related.
I have never found our doctors pushing surgery at all. I do think, to protect themselves they do way more testing than is necessary, but not surgeries.Maybe we have just been very lucky. I do agree the recovery from the anesthetic can take years or certainly months to wear off. Hubby is the perfect example. Until he started having so many surgeries he had no signs of dementia and it does not run in his family. Now, he does have short term memory loss and a few other troubling systems.He certainly isn't bad nor is there any reason for concern right now, but the memory issue is there.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:12 PM

4,441 posts, read 3,095,184 times
I have a friend, about 74 that had a TKR and woke up with dementia. He was diagnosed with Lewy body dementia. I'm not certain but I think he had general anesthesia. He seemed perfectly normal one month prior to the surgery.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:48 PM

17,885 posts, read 5,777,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I have a friend, about 74 that had a TKR and woke up with dementia. He was diagnosed with Lewy body dementia. I'm not certain but I think he had general anesthesia. He seemed perfectly normal one month prior to the surgery.
Sorry to hear this. I had a THR at 72 and came thru OK with the mind. Wonder why this happened to him, many go thru these at later ages and are OK. I'll have to look up Lewy as I don't know that. Was he taking other meds and could have been interactions. I have a problem knee and so far replacement surgery, I'm 80 soon.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 PM

4,441 posts, read 3,095,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Sorry to hear this. I had a THR at 72 and came thru OK with the mind. Wonder why this happened to him, many go thru these at later ages and are OK. I'll have to look up Lewy as I don't know that. Was he taking other meds and could have been interactions. I have a problem knee and so far replacement surgery, I'm 80 soon.
I donít know his med history, but like I said , he seemed normal to me. He is presently taking some type of medication and doing therapy and is alot better, but still not his old self. I am also 80 and both knees are bone on bone. Researching a little bit, it seems a lot of doctors prefer a spinal block TKR. I havenít made up my mind yet, but my knees are very painful. At one time you mentioned stem cell for knee pain. Are you still considering it?

Old 06-21-2018, 07:40 PM

17,885 posts, read 5,777,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don’t know his med history, but like I said , he seemed normal to me. He is presently taking some type of medication and doing therapy and is alot better, but still not his old self. I am also 80 and both knees are bone on bone. Researching a little bit, it seems a lot of doctors prefer a spinal block TKR. I haven’t made up my mind yet, but my knees are very painful. At one time you mentioned stem cell for knee pain. Are you still considering it?
I'm still considering PRP but don't even know if I'm a candidate as I have not gone to the MD who does this. My knee is pretty damaged from what the staph infection did, so don't know. I can barely afford PRP and stem cells are even more. I keep going along with what I do with some pain meds, ointments, knee support and my walker...I fear the surgery. If there were only guarantees. To go thru the replacement and still have issues, oh brother. Anything can go wrong. When I think of surgery I think this way. Then I think of my friend at 86 who had a TKR and now 91 and she's doing pretty good...some pain and stiffness but can walk pretty well.
If I had just spent so much time in hospital/rehabs I'd probably think differently, maybe.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-21-2018 at 07:53 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 01:13 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,522,775 times
Regional anesthia is flagged as well as general anesthics.

hidden dangers of going under

Also, they can prescribe post-surgery pain-relieving sleep meds which are known to affect the mind.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

Also, they can prescribe post-surgery pain-relieving sleep meds which are known to affect the mind.
This is so true. I don't think some of us realize the dangers of drugs as we age. I was lucky when I had my total knee replacement about 3 years ago. I came out with absolutely no side effects or complications and would do it again. Well maybe not, I know my back is in need of help, but the doctor pretty much says, arthritis in the back at my age is pretty common. I know most of my friends suffer some and even though I have constant pain to some degree I have decided to live with it. Any thought of surgery is out of the picture as far as I am concerned.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:58 AM

1,327 posts, read 467,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

I got the impression from the article that the problem was more with the IV drugs that were used in conjunction with the regional. My best friend had knee replacement surgery when she was sixty and had it done under a spinal. At any rate, she was worried about the IV medicine, so she asked them not to give her any of that. She was completely awake for the whole thing, but didn't feel any pain at all. After the surgery, when she was in the recovery room but before the spinal wore off, the anesthesiologist did a nerve block on her leg so she was pretty much pain free for nearly the whole first day. She is a very calm, stoic individual, though. I just hope I never need to have hip or knee replacements done.

I had a bone scan done a couple years ago. I don’t remember any actual numbers, but they said I had good, strong bones so maybe I will be able to squeak by without replacement surgery.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:51 PM

237 posts, read 675,932 times
Anesthesia can kill you. If it does not kill you it can cause permanent damage to any organ you care to name. If that does not happen you can have short term problems. No anesthetic agent or anesthesia provider is perfect. S....T happens. You role your dice and take your chances. You pick a surgeon, usually get whatever OR nurse, OR Technician and anesthesia provider assigned to the room. About all you can do is pray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or