U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 03:26 PM

287 posts, read 54,172 times

Advertisements

Update

I have had several people ask me about GERD symptoms with this cough. While I don't have the classic heartburn associated with GERD, I was unaware that there is another form of acid reflux called LPR, which is often void of the whole heartburn thing.

Anyone have any experience with this? From what I'm reading, I would be a prime candidate with all the spicy food, coffee, and carbonated beverages I consume.

From what I'm Reading 95% of all chronic coughs are from allergies/asthma or some form of acid reflux. The more I'm reading, the less i'm thinking that I have allergies or asthma, and the more it sounds like an acid reflux thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 05:13 PM

2,346 posts, read 1,192,381 times
I had something similar about a year ago. It lasted for 8 weeks and 4 rounds of antibiotics and steroids. I had multiple normal X-rays during that time and it eventually went away. But it is miserable. I hope they gave you some good cough meds to help. The tessalon pearls and tussionex were life savers for functioning during that time. If you havenít yet I would also see a pulmonologist.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:19 AM

16,594 posts, read 50,355,083 times
BP meds? Lisinopril can cause a cough that means you need to be off it.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:33 AM

1,126 posts, read 1,264,599 times
What do your labs say? I am not a doctor, but you need to have them run a CBC and Diff and a comprehensive metabolic panel. Need a pathology interpretation and your physician to review. Need to figure out what's going on. Look for any out of range values.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:39 AM

287 posts, read 54,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
What do your labs say? I am not a doctor, but you need to have them run a CBC and Diff and a comprehensive metabolic panel. Need a pathology interpretation and your physician to review. Need to figure out what's going on. Look for any out of range values.
I have an appointment tomorrow to see my doctor again. I'm going to see if he will refer me to an ENT as well as get some labs ordered. At this point, there is a little bit of stress compounding the situation on my part. My lungs look fine, but I would like someone to take a look down my throat and some labs just for the piece of mind. Like I said, I'm not a smoker and I'm only in my 40's, so I doubt it's something really serious, but you never know. The piece of mind alone could help the situation if stress is what's causing an acid reflux thing.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:32 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,631,315 times
Quote:
Has anyone else ever experienced and ongoing cough and general feeling of not being well for almost 2 months
Try 6 years of this with varying degrees after moving from California to the armpit of allergies - Nashville. All due to allergies and asthma which gets triggered by allergies. Nothing helps that much (except to leave the state).

Old 06-20-2018, 01:15 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,154,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
I have an appointment tomorrow to see my doctor again. I'm going to see if he will refer me to an ENT as well as get some labs ordered. At this point, there is a little bit of stress compounding the situation on my part. My lungs look fine, but I would like someone to take a look down my throat and some labs just for the piece of mind. Like I said, I'm not a smoker and I'm only in my 40's, so I doubt it's something really serious, but you never know. The piece of mind alone could help the situation if stress is what's causing an acid reflux thing.
Maybe you could eliminate all spicy food and coffee for a few days and see if it gets better?

Old 06-21-2018, 01:01 AM

21,033 posts, read 21,768,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Quote:
Yes to these.

My mom (non smoker) had a nagging cough all last winter. Lung x-rays were clear. PCP sent her to a Pulmonologist who said she most likely had asthma and prescribed an inhaler. When that didn't alleviate anything, and by late May she was constantly miserable, I dragged her to the ER. Turns out she has a soft tissue tumor that is encroaching on and irritating her diaphragm. It's rare but it's malignant and late stage.

Get the bloodwork.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:26 PM

2,423 posts, read 832,390 times
Quote:
Update

I have had several people ask me about GERD symptoms with this cough. While I don't have the classic heartburn associated with GERD, I was unaware that there is another form of acid reflux called LPR, which is often void of the whole heartburn thing.

Anyone have any experience with this? From what I'm reading, I would be a prime candidate with all the spicy food, coffee, and carbonated beverages I consume.

From what I'm Reading 95% of all chronic coughs are from allergies/asthma or some form of acid reflux. The more I'm reading, the less i'm thinking that I have allergies or asthma, and the more it sounds like an acid reflux thing.
Silent GERD. I had it. Pink spots in my esophagus only discovered when they removed the growth on my larynx (thanks WTC bombers). But I was under high stress, smoking, working and coming home to a big meal, then flopping on the couch with a Coke (don't drink). I had no cough, either. The only time I ever had that wicked dry hack was when I took prolonged antihistamines.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:42 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,881,100 times
Dont forget folks that antibiotics kill off all the natural bacteria in the gut and often leave digestion problems behind. Probiotics are supposed to be useful in that they repopulate the gut with 'friendly' bacteria once again which helps the digestion get back to normal. Apparently, the numbers and ratios of the different kinds of bacteria in our gut is very important and any one type which are too prolific is not good for the overall gut and digestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness