U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2018, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
430 posts, read 145,810 times
Reputation: 639

Advertisements

So this issues been consistent for month now and I've tried new pillows to no avail but every morning, I wake up with neck and shoulder pain. I get over it, especially with a hot shower, but it still seems preventable except idk what to do.

My thing is I dislike sleeping flat on my back and stomach, the positions with the least discomfort. I like to sleep sprawled out or on my side. I thought a slight incline would help but it doesn't. One single pillow works best until I roll over onto my side, as I roll in my sleep. I haven't tried memory foan, but might that help?

Just looking for solutions to my problem, as I'm not all the way pleased with waking up in pain. Dont suggest a doctor, btw, I cant afford a non-emergency visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2018, 05:46 PM
 
3,031 posts, read 1,208,829 times
Reputation: 5999
I use a memory foam contour pillow and find that helps a lot. Even a plain memory foam seems to be better for me than poofier pillows. I think a firmer/foam pillow is probably going to help out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2018, 10:34 PM
 
18,807 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12679
I use a memory foam contour pillow too and love my sleep number bed. I live with bodywide arthritis and am older, 80 soon, but I sleep. And on my back. I've heard some say the memory foam mattress is hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 12:01 AM
 
1,667 posts, read 690,649 times
Reputation: 2079
I have scoliosis and it includes a curve in my neck. I spread Ben Gay on my neck to help fall asleep, along with doing stretching exercises to loosen my shoulders and upper back. An extremely firm mattress is recommended by more than one doctor. You have to find a pillow that works for you, and a position you can sleep in. Yes, on your back is your best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 01:08 PM
 
2,684 posts, read 962,344 times
Reputation: 5126
Do you have a ceiling fan? I knew someone who moved and the new place had ceiling fans and whenever she slept with it on, she woke with neck pain. I also sleep with a ceiling fan and it doesn't bother me a bit, but thought I should mention it just in case.

I have a "side sleeper" pillow (foam) and I like it. I got it super cheap at Kohl's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 04:58 PM
 
4,147 posts, read 4,543,961 times
Reputation: 3567
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I use a memory foam contour pillow too and love my sleep number bed. I live with bodywide arthritis and am older, 80 soon, but I sleep. And on my back. I've heard some say the memory foam mattress is hot.
I'm thinking about a Sleep Number. What kind do you have? I was trying to figure out the right one to go with for my neck and back pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Status: "No, I do not think I have all the answers..." (set 59 minutes ago)
 
Location: Somewhere.
9,754 posts, read 21,607,534 times
Reputation: 7100
I have a memory foam mattress. The kind with cooling foam inside, so it is never hot. The best bet with that, is a lower pillow, preferably with some memory foam* in it. This way, when you sink into the bed, your head follows, and you are kept in better alignment, thereby easing the soreness the next day.



If you do not have a memory foam mattress, you can buy the memory foam topper, then get the pillow with memory foam in it, so you can sleep better.



*When I tried to use a memory foam pillow exclusively, I could not fall asleep because it was hard feeling, and hurt my neck. But a regular pillow with some memory foam in it works great. I bought mine at either JCPenney or Sears. It was $50+. But worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
430 posts, read 145,810 times
Reputation: 639
Alright so general consensus is memory foam, so I'll look into a top for my mattress and a pillow thatll help. Hopefully these will help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 05:19 PM
 
18,807 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12679
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I'm thinking about a Sleep Number. What kind do you have? I was trying to figure out the right one to go with for my neck and back pain.
When I bought mine I was going from an air mattress that was once a waterbed. And I loved the water bed but could no longer deal with the water issues...so kept the tubes pumped up with air. So to me a sleep # was the logical bed. I spoke to 3 friends who owned them and they loved theirs. I also went to a sleep # store and tried it out, but one can't really tell me in a store, the key is once you are sleeping on it.

I bought the bare bones to keep the price down for me, bought a double size as I sleep totally alone and went from a queen bed that was a waste of space...this is me.

I didn't get a bunch of fluff and added my own soft mats to my side. I only sleep on one side. To keep costs down I didn't even get numbers printed on the dials, so I just pump it up when I get a little sagging on my side. I don't know my number but I know my comfort. I've had it over 10 yrs and I don't know what's out there in the stores today. One can get high end or probably still bare bones. Depends on one's budget.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-20-2018 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 06:18 PM
 
3,031 posts, read 1,208,829 times
Reputation: 5999
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
When I bought mine I was going from an air mattress that was once a waterbed. And I loved the water bed but could no longer deal with the water issues...so kept the tubes pumped up with air. So to me a sleep # was the logical bed. I spoke to 3 friends who owned them and they loved theirs. I also went to a sleep # store and tried it out, but one can't really tell me in a store, the key is once you are sleeping on it.

I bought the bare bones to keep the price down for me, bought a double size as I sleep totally alone and went from a queen bed that was a waste of space...this is me.

I didn't get a bunch of fluff and added my own soft mats to my side. I only sleep on one side. To keep costs down I didn't even get numbers printed on the dials, so I just pump it up when I get a little sagging on my side. I don't know my number but I know my comfort. I've had it over 10 yrs and I don't know what's out there in the stores today. One can get high end or probably still bare bones. Depends on one's budget.
I have read that the bare bones one is absolutely fine and if you want, you can get a memory foam topper. The memory foam does run a bit warm though. I have a bed with a built in topper and I wake up sweating quite frequently. There are cooling foams though. I am sure one could find that. My issue may be related more to hormones or medications, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top