Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 04:03 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There is very little disagreement with that statement. However, there seems to be great disagreement with the "conscience clause" in AZ (and other states') law. However, as old fed indicated, one should "never say never". As a holder of a health professional license, I am glad for such clauses, though I have never invoked them myself. The other issue is that many people seem to think the pharmacist is a "human robot" who is just supposed to follow orders and not use professional judgement him/herself.

How do we know this? We only "know" what the patient has said and apparently that Walgreen's is investigating. Like many stories causing mass outrage here on CD and elsewhere, we don't know all the facts.

I would agree the pharmacist did not follow proper procedure. Firing might be extreme, certainly a reprimand and remedial education would be in order.
I don't think the pharmacist is a human robot, I just think he's in the wrong line of work. He's entitled to his objections, which means he should work in a position and/or environment where he's not going to be faced with situations he objects to in this manner. Perhaps working in the pharmacy at a Catholic hospital would be an appropriate position for him.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't think the pharmacist is a human robot, I just think he's in the wrong line of work. He's entitled to his objections, which means he should work in a position and/or environment where he's not going to be faced with situations he objects to in this manner. Perhaps working in the pharmacy at a Catholic hospital would be an appropriate position for him.

Yes, exactly. Not a robot (count several pharmacists among friends and family and I would never describe or demean them as robots) but he is employed by a pharmacy that fills these types of prescriptions regularly, his ethics must not be offended enough to go elsewhere.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
^^To maciesmom and emm74-I was referring to those who said that a pharmacist's job is to fill prescriptions, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This. It is not his job to judge any medication that has be prescribed, his job is the fill the orders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It has nothing to do with what century we're in.

He's a pharmacist employed by a store, and his job is to fill prescriptions ordered by physicians or other health care professionals. If he didn't want to do that, he should never have become a pharmacist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I'm also a libertarian but nobody forced him to be a pharmacist. He took the job knowing what was involved. He should dispense the meds or his employer can find another pharmacist. He does not have the right to reconfigure the job on his own terms any more than I can pick and choose which of my company's needs to satisfy while I collect my paycheck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
The discussion of the treatment has already taken place between patient and doctor. The prescription is an authorization to dispense an approved medication and dosage. The pharmacist's job is to execute these written orders and dispense approved medicine to a patient.

The only reason a company would stand behind the pharmacist is if they believed they stood a better chance of being sued by the pharmacist than the patient.
If anyone thinks a pharmacist is not supposed to use his/her professional judgement when s/he gets a prescription from a health care provider, e.g. an MD or a NP, and just fill it regardless of his/her concerns that it is the wrong dose, not approved for the patient's age, etc, they need to think again. Everyone in health care is responsible for his/her own actions. "I was just following orders" is not OK. It is hard to find articles on this through Google as right now everything on Google News is about this particular story, but I did find this: https://www.sharecare.com/health/hea...contact-doctor

Old 06-27-2018, 06:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
As I read it, the woman couldn't go to another pharmacy because the original pharmacist wouldn't give her back her prescription..
It is probably illegal for him to confiscate her RX that way. Even if he doesn't have to fill it, he should give her back the RX. How disgusting of him.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt;52328769
If anyone thinks a pharmacist is not supposed to use his/her professional judgement when s/he gets a prescription from a health care provider, e.g. an MD or a NP, and just fill it regardless of his/her concerns that it is the wrong dose, not approved for the patient's age, etc, they need to think again. Everyone in health care is responsible for his/her own actions. "I was just following orders" is not OK. It is hard to find articles on this through Google as right now everything on Google News is about this particular story, but I did find this: [URL
https://www.sharecare.com/health/health-care-basics/when-pharmacist-contact-doctor[/url]
Professional judgment and personal judgment are two different things.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It is probably illegal for him to confiscate her RX that way. Even if he doesn't have to fill it, he should give her back the RX. How disgusting of him.
she had dropped it off the previous day. The Rx was already filled, she had received an email saying it was ready for her to pick up

Old 06-27-2018, 06:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
she had dropped it off the previous day. The Rx was already filled, she had received an email saying it was ready for her to pick up
Where is this info?

If it was ready, why didn’t she receive it?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Where is this info?

If it was ready, why didn’t she receive it?
It was in her facebook post, I think. I've read several articles so I'm not 100% positive where I read it.

And the reason she didn't receive it is because the pharmacist refused to give it to her and violated company policy by not involving another Walgreens employee to handle the transaction.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Professional judgment and personal judgment are two different things.
A pharmacist's job involves more than simply filling prescriptions as written. Would you not want the pharm to contact your doctor if s/he did not understand the rx or thought the dose was incorrect, or that it interfered with another med you are taking?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-27-2018 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 06-27-2018, 07:22 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
1) I disagree with those laws as they can be damaging to people who do not have easy access to an alternative pharmacy.
Agreed. From what I have read here on City-Data, there are a lot of small towns where there may only be one pharmacy and one pharmacist available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness