U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 01:52 AM

6,314 posts, read 8,639,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the use of a drug derived from marijuana for the first time Monday, giving the go ahead to treat two rare forms of epilepsy with the compound cannabidiol, also known as CBD, found in hemp and marijuana.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...psy/733567002/
Makes me wonder how far behind we've been on medical marijuana by it being illegal all these years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:23 PM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
Maybe they were hallucinating.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:30 AM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
We've known for YEARS and YEARS the good medical properties of cannabis...it's atrocious that patients have been denied access to it, especially knowing all the good properties it has.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6630507B1/en

Old 06-29-2018, 11:04 AM

69,250 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Makes me wonder how far behind we've been on medical marijuana by it being illegal all these years?
good or bad is still a matter of opinion. And I don't care who said what. BTW, I am not opposed to med pot by any means,but I also do not always buy into these reports.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:42 PM

84,957 posts, read 98,776,620 times
It's not medical marijuana the FDA has approved; they have approved a drug made from cannabis plants, including hemp, which does not give you a high when you smoke it. The med does not contain THC, which is the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana and hemp. Many drugs are made from plants.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:44 PM

6,314 posts, read 8,639,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post

Maybe they were hallucinating.
You got the wrong drug. No hallucinations from weed. I know this from conducting my own "research".

Old 07-01-2018, 08:58 AM

7,128 posts, read 5,942,160 times
This is one of the better articles I've read in researching alcohol vs marijuana:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/which-i...tor-weighs-in/

Though many people associate drugs with crime, Carroll notes that most of the criminal activity tied to marijuana has to do with illegal distribution, not violence committed by people who smoke it.

"On the other hand, the number of crimes that are committed that have some sort of alcohol component related to them are massive -- hundreds of thousands a year, if not more," he said. "It's far worse than what's going on with pot."

Violent assaults, in particular, are often fueled by alcohol. In contrast, Carroll says research shows rates of interpersonal or domestic violence are actually "lower in people who smoke marijuana than people that don't."

Why is alcohol more socially accepted, despite all the evidence stacking up against it? Carroll thinks that's an accident of history -- because it's been around and legal for a longer period of time. "It's hard to argue from data or from actual science that that's the way it should be," he said.

Also marijuana use seems to lower the chances of NAFLD, whereas alcohol (and fructose) directly contribute to the buildup of fat in the liver.

https://www.liversupport.com/new-res...s-fatty-liver/

Occasional cannabis users had a 1% lower risk of NAFLD, compared to those who do not use cannabis.
Regular cannabis users had a 52% lower risk of developing NAFLD, compared to those who do not use the cannabis.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:22 AM

286 posts, read 118,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It's not medical marijuana the FDA has approved; they have approved a drug made from cannabis plants, including hemp, which does not give you a high when you smoke it. The med does not contain THC, which is the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana and hemp. Many drugs are made from plants.
Before this drug, there are 2 marijuana derived rx drugs Marinol and Cesamet. When they were approved, they were rescheduled. Both were originally rescheduled to C-2 status. Later Marinol was moved to C-3. They will schedule this drug as either C-2 or 3.

There is a big difference between these medications and Marijuana. These are standardized products. They have gone through the approval process.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:18 AM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
Yeh...that being that they are both pharmaceutical synthetic drugs....and the gov makes money off them.
They may have gone through the "approval process", but they'll never be as good as the real, genuine, natural products.
Would you rather take a synthetic?..or a natural.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:54 AM

789 posts, read 701,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good or bad is still a matter of opinion. And I don't care who said what. BTW, I am not opposed to med pot by any means,but I also do not always buy into these reports.
Doesn't really matter what you think. Science is not a matter of opinion. Science is based on research and empirical evidence, not from opinions from people on the internet.

Marijuana has been used for many centuries for medicinal reasons before the racism of America made it illegal. It stays illegal today mostly for the same reasons, but also that big pharm is lobbying real hard to keep it that way.

Don't ever think our government cares about public health, not even close. If it did, cigarettes would have been banned 40 years ago and the FDA would stop allowing poison into our food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness