Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 11:30 AM

3,527 posts, read 6,528,901 times

Advertisements

I'm at age 50 and I'm having limitations in what I can eat or not. My body rejects any food that is greasy, like fries. Tends to cause acute diarrhea. I drink a coffee once every morning, only one cup. Sometimes I have the problem much later in the day. No idea if it's connected. You'd think the coffee has totally passed out of my body after six hours. If I eat exactly the right foods, I'm okay.

Do you think it's a good idea to stop drinking coffee if you're a 50-year-old male? There are always purists who say you should never drink coffee at all. There's also an idea you should get a medical when you're 50 and the problems are often in the digestive system.

Are there in fact problems from drinking coffee too much? It causes nervousness and can also be rough on the innards. But a small amount might make no diff at all.

I drink coffee for the same reason as others. Makes me feel more awake in the morning. When I don't, I feel slightly fuzzy but I survive. And I don't have to bother with buying the coffee or throwing away the filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 11:59 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Coffee on an empty stomach causes me gi upset. I eat breakfast now with my one cup in the am....no issues.

One cup is of course fine, unless it's contraindicated by a MD for you specifically.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I enjoy my one cup of organic coffee to which I add cinnamon and baking soda to the grounds in the coffee filter. I make one fresh cup and have no issues.

If you want a lift, why not a cup of organic green tea...I buy Trader Joe's Yerba Mate and some afternoons I'll have a cup...not often but I have to be drooping.

This almost 80 yr old has so few so called pleasures left and one is a cup of GOOD coffee..

I've cut a lot of other stuff out of my diet that I don't feel are necessary for me but like my cup of joe.

For sweetener and creamer I use stevia and coconut milk creamer.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-29-2018 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 12:11 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
It sounds like the problem is with your diet, not the coffee. If you want, try giving it up for a week or so and see how you feel.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:12 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
I am not even going to contemplate giving up coffee. I gave up sex with no problem fourteen years ago and don’t miss it, but I am keeping my coffee.

Do you take it black or with dairy products? Do you have any problems soon after drinking it? I wouldn’t think it would be related to problems later in the day.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Coffee in the morning does make me "go" alright, straight to the bathroom. Try cutting it out for a week or two and see if your problem vanishes.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
If it were me I would see a doctor and a get a referral for a colonoscopy, if you haven't ever had one or are due for one.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:43 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Don't be surprised if you find you get a headache. Many people report that when giving up caffeine. Of course, if you're only drinking one cup a day, that may not happen to you.

My doctor believes in the EIM theory. Everything In Moderation.

Check with your health care provider if you should give up that cup. And as HomeIs suggested, ask if it's time for a scope.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I quit all caffeine for over a year. No noticeable health-benefits, went through a horrible withdrawal that I never fully got over, missed drinking coffee dearly, missed the pick-up from the caffeine.

I nitwitishly listened to some internet guru about how wonderful life would be post-caffeine.....yuck!

Old 06-29-2018, 06:02 PM

965 posts, read 938,882 times
Try it at least? In the past year coffee quit tasting good to me, even the best/ freshest. I kept trying because I loved it, but I finally considered it might have been connected to allergy symptoms too. No more sinus issues after a few days off if it... I still miss it, but I always said it was usually just the first sip that tasted SO good.

Oh, and the smell....

In place of it I drink black tea. I ended up with less caffeine, but it happened slowly, with no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness