U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 PM

330 posts, read 177,265 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some guidance on who to speak to regarding a medical theory for a major medical disease (and possibly starting a clinical trial if warranted), preferably from someone who went down a similar route themselves.

Say someone has a theory on what causes a major medical disease. The current cause for this major medical disease is unknown. Attempts to treat the disease's symptoms are done through various means, sometimes successful, sometimes not. The person who has the theory does not have a medical field background but has extensive personal study in the field and noticed a particular correlation between two separate diseases/factors. The theory this person has involves something that can be measured/tested and it is regards to a major common illness.

Who would this person speak to regarding this theory/idea?
The ultimate goal would be to start a clinical trial to test this theory out and ultimately cure the disease.

If you do not know the answer (where to go/what to do), please do not guess. I would prefer to hear from someone who has experience in this area. If that is not you but you know someone who does (spouse/coworker/family member etc) and you ask them, that would be great too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 02:55 PM

17,835 posts, read 5,758,872 times
Well, good luck with that one.

I have a theory about something I do that has changed my life medically and can't imagine who would hear me out.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:00 PM

21,195 posts, read 25,661,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
I am looking for some guidance on who to speak to regarding a medical theory for a major medical disease (and possibly starting a clinical trial if warranted), preferably from someone who went down a similar route themselves.

Say someone has a theory on what causes a major medical disease. The current cause for this major medical disease is unknown. Attempts to treat the disease's symptoms are done through various means, sometimes successful, sometimes not. The person who has the theory does not have a medical field background but has extensive personal study in the field and noticed a particular correlation between two separate diseases/factors. The theory this person has involves something that can be measured/tested and it is regards to a major common illness.

The ultimate goal would be to start a clinical trial to test this theory out and ultimately cure the disease.

If you do not know the answer (where to go/what to do), please do not guess. I would prefer to hear from someone who has experience in this area. If that is not you but you know someone who does (spouse/coworker/family member etc) and you ask them, that would be great too.

Thanks
Contact someone with expertise in the conditions that you think are related. A medical school would be the best bet.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:51 AM

2,001 posts, read 733,625 times
Tell us what it is. This is not something you can patent or copyright, so there is no advantage to you to keep it secret. If you explain it here, maybe someone will find it by googling, and be able to make something move if there is any merit to the idea.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:13 AM

1,928 posts, read 729,020 times
University prof.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:03 AM

12,209 posts, read 14,357,658 times
If you're just a layman, your theory may not even be considered (no matter how much you've researched it)......it'll be called instead, the popular "conspiracy" theory.
You'll become another "conspiracy theorist"....probably get called a lot of insulting names etc, as most people won't believe that you could know something that a doctor or professor may not.

Many people believe that despite having extensive knowledge about certain diseases, and despite having researched for years, if you don't have the MD behind your name..or some other letters...you can't be in the know......sad but true.
Good luck finding someone who's willing to listen...the academics in society are not very good at that, unless you're one of them.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:11 AM

4,590 posts, read 1,452,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
If you're just a layman, your theory may not even be considered (no matter how much you've researched it)......it'll be called instead, the popular "conspiracy" theory.
You'll become another "conspiracy theorist"....probably get called a lot of insulting names etc, as most people won't believe that you could know something that a doctor or professor may not.

Many people believe that despite having extensive knowledge about certain diseases, and despite having researched for years, if you don't have the MD behind your name..or some other letters...you can't be in the know......sad but true.
Good luck finding someone who's willing to listen...the academics in society are not very good at that, unless you're one of them.
There was a guy in Hawaii I think who was knowldeable about nutrition, had books, radio show etc. He had so many calling him a liar, etc., so he went to school and got the degree. Then gave the same advice he had been giving for years. Hilarious. All the naysayers went away. They couldn't name call anymore.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 AM

4,590 posts, read 1,452,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post

Thanks
Clinical trials are for drugs.

Research is for disease causes.

The only way anyone will research this is there is a possible drug that can be developed to manage it. If it's chronic (lifelong) treatment, all the better. Lots of profit there.

If it is a cure? Forget it. No one will be interested as there is no money to be made.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:52 AM

17,835 posts, read 5,758,872 times
Some yrs ago I had an idea for a product and went to a company about my idea and talked to a patent attorney but didn't go the distance, ran out of steam and money. Later years this product appeared on the market. It was an accupressure bath mat.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:39 PM

21,195 posts, read 25,661,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Clinical trials are for drugs.

Research is for disease causes.

The only way anyone will research this is there is a possible drug that can be developed to manage it. If it's chronic (lifelong) treatment, all the better. Lots of profit there.

If it is a cure? Forget it. No one will be interested as there is no money to be made.
Guess no one was interested in the drugs that cured my son's cancer - or other cancers.

Or the antibiotics that cure infections.

Or the vaccines that prevent infections.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or