U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:00 AM

17,248 posts, read 5,518,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macklessdaddy View Post
Just read in the local paper the op threw up a lung.
It's truly amazing how mean spirited some posts can get.

Glad OP checked in and I was not concerned about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 11:36 AM

84,363 posts, read 97,505,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
That's a LONG time ago. January 1993, I was just a month old. If that's the last major instance, then it truly is a rare thing.
That was the last major incident because internal temperature requirements for hamburgers were changed after that. Some people learn from mistakes.
Medium-Rare Burgers: A Risky Culinary Comeback | Food Safety News

Old 07-05-2018, 12:12 PM

12,602 posts, read 6,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That was the last major incident because internal temperature requirements for hamburgers were changed after that. Some people learn from mistakes.
Medium-Rare Burgers: A Risky Culinary Comeback | Food Safety News
I'm fine that fast food burgers are cooked med. well done or even higher because my expectations are very low for those places and I think their training/standards are lower.

But if I'm going somewhere to pay $10 or more for a burger then put the warning on the menu but I think you should at least be able to get a medium rare burger. If you are willing to take the risk then why should you only be able to eat one at home that you make for yourself?

Old 07-05-2018, 12:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 785,704 times
I would have thought it means you won't get breast cancer.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm fine that fast food burgers are cooked med. well done or even higher because my expectations are very low for those places and I think their training/standards are lower.

But if I'm going somewhere to pay $10 or more for a burger then put the warning on the menu but I think you should at least be able to get a medium rare burger. If you are willing to take the risk then why should you only be able to eat one at home that you make for yourself?
Two reasons:

1) From my link: "The problem is that many consumers might not be given the information necessary to make that informed choice, he noted. . . Another problem is that terms such as “medium-rare” and “well-done” have no temperature correlation. . . “As a consumer, the only thing I can do to guarantee a fully cooked burger is to order it cooked to 155 degrees for 15 seconds,” Chapman said. . . “I like the fact that people get to make their own decision,” he added, “but I’m not convinced that there are a lot of really good, informed choices happening.”"
You need to know how much of a risk you're taking.

2) You can probably sue anyway, even if you were informed of the risk. The restaurant owner is supposed to be the professional.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:00 PM

1,538 posts, read 613,247 times
Glad you're OK so far, OP!! Now, I just got some pond water up my nose and down my throat while swimming. Very silty pond too. Probably fish pee and poop in it. Hope I will be OK.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:20 PM

212 posts, read 73,752 times
Most likely you'll be fine. People eat steak tartare, which is diced up raw beef, all the time, without getting sick. Eating raw beef is not an automatic night of porcelain intimacy. The only difference between steak tartare and ground hamburger is that steak tartare is cut up right in front of you, while ground beef is ground in a butchers shop or at a meat processing plant. E coli outbreaks from undercooked hamburgers (there was a serious one involving Jack in the Box in the early 90s with a few deaths) occur when the processing plant makes a mistake when breaking down the beef carcass and/or contaminates equipment and food contact surfaces. There is also a tapeworm risk. But both these risks are very low, so assume that you wont be sick unless you get sick.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
Most likely you'll be fine. People eat steak tartare, which is diced up raw beef, all the time, without getting sick. Eating raw beef is not an automatic night of porcelain intimacy. The only difference between steak tartare and ground hamburger is that steak tartare is cut up right in front of you, while ground beef is ground in a butchers shop or at a meat processing plant. E coli outbreaks from undercooked hamburgers (there was a serious one involving Jack in the Box in the early 90s with a few deaths) occur when the processing plant makes a mistake when breaking down the beef carcass and/or contaminates equipment and food contact surfaces. There is also a tapeworm risk. But both these risks are very low, so assume that you wont be sick unless you get sick.
From my link: The difference between steak and a burger is this: "Unlike a rare steak, a rare burger is risky because the germs from the outside of the meat have been ground inside."

Old 07-05-2018, 05:09 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,616,478 times
doesn't anyone think it's kinda gross to eat feces whether or not it's reached 160 degrees?

Old 07-05-2018, 06:02 PM

1,465 posts, read 2,525,156 times
Pink is cooked. Red is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or