U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,370,329 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a memory foam mattress topper. I really do not know much about them and would like some feed back.
We originally purchased this because we experienced a wonderul nights sleep at a friends.
I have noticed a funny odor and from memory foam and wonder if this is normal?
Also, is there any special care I need to know about?

Any suggestions, feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 11:25 AM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
We bought a memory foam mattress in Jan, the funny smell went away in about a day or two. Be sure and get a good mattress cover.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:51 AM

605 posts, read 2,186,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We bought a memory foam mattress in Jan, the funny smell went away in about a day or two. Be sure and get a good mattress cover.
Same here - actual mattress rather than just topper as OP has, but we love ours and the smell went away within a week or so.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:43 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,370,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Same here - actual mattress rather than just topper as OP has, but we love ours and the smell went away within a week or so.

Good to hear!! Thanks for your responses.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:23 PM

5,115 posts, read 10,030,617 times
We bought a tempur pedic mattress and the smell went away after a day. Love the mattress

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 PM

212 posts, read 854,926 times
Default Toxic chemical release from foam mattresses

I have been reading about the horrible effects of chemicals on our children, especially phthalates, which are now present in every living being on the planet. All parents of babies and young children should google "phthalates".

I found this information about foam mattresses. For those of you with chemical sensitivity, you may want to avoid them:

Since the mid- to late '60s, most mattresses have been made of polyurethane foam, a petroleum-based material that emits volatile organic compounds that can cause respiratory problems and skin irritation. Formaldehyde, which is used to make one of the adhesives that hold mattresses together, has been linked to asthma, allergies, and lung, nose, and throat cancers. And then there are cotton pesticides and flame-retardant chemicals, which can cause cancer and nervous-system disorders. In 2005, Walter Bader, owner of the "green mattress" company Lifekind and author of the book Toxic Bedrooms, sent several mattresses to an Atlanta-based lab. A memory-foam model was found to emit 61 chemicals, including the carcinogens benzene and naphthalene.

There is no proven health risk from the substances in mattresses, however, mostly because tracking their long-term effects is virtually impossible. Heather Stapleton, an environmental chemist at Duke University, says there's simply not enough data to determine whether low levels of these chemicals will eventually make people sick. "It's the dose that makes the poison," she says. "If they're not getting out, maybe it's not a problem-but we don't know. There are plenty of lab studies that show that these compounds are harmful. It's just a question of what levels people are exposed to."

Still, more and more consumers are seeking out mattresses made of natural latex, organic cotton batting, and organic wool. Sales of California-based Vivètique's latex mattresses have increased by 40 percent annually for the past five years-they now comprise 45 percent of the company's total sales. And they are even sold by discounter 1-800-Mattress.

It's hard to say whether you should ditch your conventional bed in favor of a green one, since you'll likely have a tough time figuring out exactly which toxins are lurking under your covers. Take, for example, fireproofing chemicals: Pentabde, a member of the polybrominated diphenyl ether (pbde) family of flame retardants, was used in some mattresses before 2004, when it was phased out. (Pentabde is now known to be toxic to the liver, thyroid, and nervous system.) So let's say that just to be on the safe side you toss your pre-2004 mattress and buy a new one. Problem solved? Maybe not. Last July, the Consumer Product Safety Commission began to require that all mattresses sold in the United States be able to withstand 30 minutes of exposure to an open flame.

Mattress makers aren't using Pentabde anymore-but it's not clear exactly what they are using to meet the new standard. Major manufacturers such as Simmons, Sealy, and Tempur-Pedic won't divulge their flame-retardant formulas, which are considered trade secrets. A Simmons press release touts a "proprietary blend of char-forming, intumescing, flame-resistant components." Tempur-Pedic vaguely states that its products "consistently meet all safety standards." A best guess at what's in today's mattresses comes from Ryan Trainer, executive vice president of the International Sleep Products Association, an industry group. He says most companies use "various types of barrier fabrics" such as cotton treated with boric acid or rayon treated with silica-both relatively benign chemicals-as well as fire-resistant materials such as modacrylic fiber (which contains antimony oxide, a carcinogen) and melamine resin (which contains formaldehyde).

Old 03-31-2008, 08:51 AM

9,038 posts, read 13,884,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
I recently purchased a memory foam mattress topper. I really do not know much about them and would like some feed back.
We originally purchased this because we experienced a wonderul nights sleep at a friends.
I have noticed a funny odor and from memory foam and wonder if this is normal?
Also, is there any special care I need to know about?

Any suggestions, feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yes. That is normal. It is off gassing of all the gross chemicals they use to make the mattress. I got one also and had to let it air out in my attic for a few weeks.

After it wore out in about a year I decided to get rid of my old mattress and box spring and buy a natural organic latex mattress with a wool topper. The feel of the bed is just as comfortable as a Tempurpedic memory foam bed but without all the toxic off gassing.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
Airing it out is a good thing to do. It gets rid of the toxic smell much quicker. Outdoors is best, but put it in the shade away from direct sunlight in a breezy area. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years and I'm ready to trade it in for a mattress like the one mentioned by EmilyBH.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,493,963 times
Most of the memory foam toppers come with (or you can buy) cases for them.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 44,868 times
i need more risks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness