Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,693,863 times

Advertisements

I have some Oxycodone that I got when I had surgery about a year ago. The prescription was filled on 11/1/11. I didn't use them all but NEED some now due to some heavy duty knee pain (I have torn ACL in both knees).

There is no expiration date on the bottle. Does anyone know how long these are "good' for? Is it dangerous to take them if they're over a year old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,722,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I have some Oxycodone that I got when I had surgery about a year ago. The prescription was filled on 11/1/11. I didn't use them all but NEED some now due to some heavy duty knee pain (I have torn ACL in both knees).

There is no expiration date on the bottle. Does anyone know how long these are "good' for? Is it dangerous to take them if they're over a year old?

I would say yes,they are fine. The shelf life of most drugs is quite long.
You can always call any pharmacy and ask.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,591,515 times
What usually happens is the potency decreases. If they smell "off" throw them out.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,681,396 times
That specific product is fine to go.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,954,130 times
Sorry, I can't find the link, but there was a report done on this topic for the US Military because they stockpile large amounts of drugs.
They tested the drugs after 20 years of storage and found to their surprise that the strength of almost all of the drugs was approximately 90%.

They concluded that properly storing them in a cool, dry environment kept degradation to a minimum, and that the drugs would be safe and effective to administer.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:17 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,954,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Sorry, I can't find the link, but there was a report done on this topic for the US Military because they stockpile large amounts of drugs.
They tested the drugs after 20 years of storage and found to their surprise that the strength of almost all of the drugs was approximately 90%.

They concluded that properly storing them in a cool, dry environment kept degradation to a minimum, and that the drugs would be safe and effective to administer.
Here's the link, from Harvard. Study said 15 years, oops, but still important.

Drug Expiration Dates — Do They Mean Anything?—The Family Health Guide

Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,592,874 times
Best-by dates for ALL products reflect the MINIMUM safe time they can be used. They don't suddenly drop to zero or become toxic at midnight on the best-by date.

A drug is guaranteed to have full effectiveness at least up to the best-by date. It's effectiveness after depends, partly, on storage. It it is stored in the dark within the recommended temperature range, it will remain effective much longer than the best-by date.

It is highly unlikely that any drug will become dangerous to use after a prolonged period of time. The only danger would be from leaving a condition inadequately treated, owing to decline effectiveness of the drug.

This is simply common sense.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 AM

44,544 posts, read 61,229,694 times
This site may enlighten everyone:

http://www.endtimesreport.com/Prescr...longevity.html

Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,722,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post

good information

Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,492,556 times
Just a note - because oxycodone is a controlled substance, if you work for any kind of company that drug testing, you will want to have a CURRENT Rx for that drug.

Otherwise, if you were drug-tested and found to have Oxy in your system with no current Rx ... you would basically be accused of illegal drug use/drug abuse.

For that reason, effectiveness of the product aside (yes, at 1 year old it is likely to still be quite effective), I would discard any controlled substances after the event they were prescribed for had concluded, then go to the doctor if a new Rx is needed for a new event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness