Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 02:43 PM

199 posts, read 127,964 times

Advertisements

My husband has had 100 temp on an off feeling miserable with horrible cold and chest congestion and sore throat. He tested negative for flu and strep but dr stated he has bronchitis and also heard slight fluid in his lungs. He also has a red swollen eye with white discharged which the dr said is pink eye. She prescribed Levaquin antibiotics and eye drops. I was reading online though that most bronchitis and pink eye is viral, so would the meds help? If he has a bit of fluid on his lungs he has a touch of pneumonia also? And what are the chances I will get this? I have never caught the flu when he had it but have caught colds from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,554,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
My husband has had 100 temp on an off feeling miserable with horrible cold and chest congestion and sore throat. He tested negative for flu and strep but dr stated he has bronchitis and also heard slight fluid in his lungs. He also has a red swollen eye with white discharged which the dr said is pink eye. She prescribed Levaquin antibiotics and eye drops. I was reading online though that most bronchitis and pink eye is viral, so would the meds help? If he has a bit of fluid on his lungs he has a touch of pneumonia also? And what are the chances I will get this? I have never caught the flu when he had it but have caught colds from him.
Watch for the side effects from that nasty Levaquin...if he has viral issues, why this strong abx drug/.///those doctors!!!!! Viral infections don't require abx drugs.

Too bad more don't take more prevention supports like antioxidants and avoid so much sickness.

Call the MD and ask if he has pneumonia.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-05-2018 at 08:56 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 06:33 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,188,633 times
I think the antibiotics will do the job....
I doubt that you will catch anything from him if you just wash your hands, and don't share drinks etc.

Last edited by purehuman; 07-06-2018 at 06:44 AM..

Old 07-06-2018, 06:43 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Watch for the side effects from that nasty Levaquin...if he has viral issues, why this strong abx drug/.///those doctors!!!!! Viral infections don't require abx drugs.

Too bad more don't take more prevention supports like antioxidants and avoid so much sickness.

Call the MD and ask if he has pneumonia.
I agree about the preventatives...and I hate that doctors prescribe fluoroquinolone antibiotics despite the fact that they've been shown (3 black box warnings from FDA) to have some very, very serious side effects.
They're supposed to be used as a LAST option when nothing else has worked...but we all know that they are prescribed regularily anyways...it's all very sad...thus the importance of being our own advocate as much as we possibly can for our own health.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:18 AM

2,437 posts, read 2,715,316 times
Is your husband a smoker? It’s common to be prescribed antibiotics for bronchitis if the patient is even though research has yet to prove its beneficial. Smokers are also more likely to develop acute bronchitis.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,554,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I agree about the preventatives...and I hate that doctors prescribe fluoroquinolone antibiotics despite the fact that they've been shown (3 black box warnings from FDA) to have some very, very serious side effects.
They're supposed to be used as a LAST option when nothing else has worked...but we all know that they are prescribed regularily anyways...it's all very sad...thus the importance of being our own advocate as much as we possibly can for our own health.
This class of abx drugs come with so many side effects. We've talked about that a lot here. I believe there are class action suits in process now...I can't keep track of the the suits against drug companies.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 AM

199 posts, read 127,964 times
He doesn’t have pneumonia. They did a chest X-ray because his WBC was 19. Dr had him go to ER and get and IV of Levaquin and Saline. They think it’s a nasty sinus and ear infection. Said if it’s bacterial I wouldn’t catch it (and normally when he is sick I don’t except maybe a slight cold or cough) I’m never bed ridden for days like him and if I get a fever it’s usually only for like a few hours or a day at the most....but I’m not feeling well at all right now. Neck and throat hurt and achy. Ugh.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:45 AM

924 posts, read 1,663,588 times
True, antibiotics won't cure a virus, but having viral pneumonia makes you susceptible to developing bacterial infections, which can be quite serious. He seems pretty sick. I would guess that the doctor put him on Levaquin to head off this potential, especially since your DH is bedridden and has a fever.

Your husband is already on this medication so he needs to finish it unless the doctor decides to put him on something else because it's not working. You need to report any changes for the worse to the doctor immediately or take him to the ER.

I've not had pneumonia, but I have had a lower lung infection in my mid-20's and one more recently and both wiped me out. My husband has had pneumonia now several times and he also just sleeps through it. When you aren't getting enough oxygen, you have no energy. The antibiotics can also zap your energy. Drinking lots of fluids (half of the person's body weight in ounces at least) and alternating water and Gatorade helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness