U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 08:05 AM

1,266 posts, read 608,695 times

Advertisements

My dermatologist prescribed me a Retin-A product for my acne called tretinoin. I was using it for about a month and a half 2-3x per week. After a little while of using it i started getting really bad lower back pain, pain in my shoulders randomly and also just an overall feeling of fatigue, kind of hard to explain but I'm a runner and I wasn't even able to go for a good run, I'd have to stop multiple times because I felt like I was running through mud or something. Anyways, the only thing I changed in my life was adding the tretinoin to my skincare routine. I started googling and of course there's things online about it being toxic because it's Vitamin A. however, most of the stuff online talked about the oral dosage being toxic NOT the topical. Most people said its very unlikely that the topical would cause any issues. I stopped using it just to see and lo and behold, the pain and fatigue went away. I'm wondering if i should wait a month and then try it again just to make sure it wasn't because of something else.

Has anyone else ever used a retin-a product? I have to say it did do wonders for my skin so i'm wondering if there is a similar product out there that wouldn't give me any side effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 12:01 PM

25,760 posts, read 16,589,376 times
I've been using it for over 20 years, and I doubt your symptoms are related, and no, nothing else performs like retin-A.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 07-06-2018, 12:32 PM

580 posts, read 946,787 times
I've tried it twice for a few months at a time. Both times it made my skin look dull and pasty, just sort of off, like I was ill. I did not have any other side effects like you are describing, but it did make my skin look like it does when I have a cold. I was using it for anti-aging, not acne.

I have seen some women that swear by it and their skin does look gorgeous so it obviously suits some people quite well.

I was using a generic, compounded by a local pharmacist. If I were to try again, I'd go for the name brand only.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:51 PM

Yeah, your face can look pretty bad, and then "wham" it looks great.

After applying it you can wait 15 mins and add a moisturizer or oil over it to minimize the bad period.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:14 PM

1,953 posts, read 657,814 times
Wow. Could have sworn I posted that I stopped using it when I read online that it could possibly cause lung cancer.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:09 AM

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/135956.php

Old 07-07-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

Awesome, and article that says retin-a had nothing to do with the deaths in the study.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:32 PM

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...bstract/419802

Old 07-07-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I just glanced at that, but it appears to be the same study you linked to before.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:12 PM

4,380 posts, read 10,207,385 times
Quote:
From the article you just linked...

"The biological implausibility, lack of specificity of causes of death, inconsistency with previous experience, weakness of other supportive evidence in our data and weak statistical signal cast doubt on a potential causal association of topical tretinoin with death in the VATTC Trial. We do not conclude that this trial provides appropriate grounds for hesitating to use topical tretinoin in clinical practice in the absence of additional evidence"

READING beyond the headline is helpful when posting evidence to support a claim....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness