U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2018, 08:28 PM
 
2,445 posts, read 1,050,580 times
Reputation: 9501

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The concluding paragraph of your Medical News Today Link:

Some note that while the procyadins can be powerful in lab experiments, grape seed extract appears to have poor bioavailability, which means the body may not absorb it efficiently enough to make it worth using.

In addition, pregnant women should completely avoid taking grape seed extract supplements.

It may be that grape seed extract can offer multiple health benefits, but more research is needed to confirm this.

When and "if" science concludes that grape seed extract is truly beneficial I will change my position.....at present that data is just not available.....anecdotes aside....

Well Iím not going to quibble about ďMay notĒ or the fact that you ignored the main article showing the benefits but my point was that taking extreme stands for and against traditional and non traditional does a disservice.
I donít support itís a cure all but Iím not closed to seeing there are some benefits that can compliment traditional medicine. Heck eating fresh oranges has health benefits so why dismiss grape seed extract?

 
Old 07-07-2018, 09:03 PM
 
18,807 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12679
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The title of your thread is "Curing Patients is Bad for Business"

Yet according to you grape seed extract cures MS and pretty much EVERY KNOWN DISEASE TO MANKIND

If this is true WHY hasn't it caught on??

It's CHEAP....readily available....no one is stopping anyone from taking it or extolling its virtues to the high heavens.....

Maybe....just maybe....because IT DOESN'T WORK....because IF it really did even HALF of what you claim it did on a routine and reproducible basis the demand for this miracle cure would be off the charts...

Yet it isn't......ummmmmmmmm
There you go saying I say "cure"...I do not say cure. I've said it can reduce the effects of MS as I was talking about my sister and how I tried to help her with Alt Med...but she listened to the MS specialists and she's gone.

I don't know why it's not caught on more, maybe it has in the areas of healing that you never enter. City of Hope, Mayo, Kettering and others use it in cancer research on Prostate, Breast, Colon and Melanoma cancers. Have you looked at this research. I have a post in Alt Med about these 4 cancers and grape seed ex.

The grape can't be patented so forget pharma making it a drug, for now anyway.

I would not be surprised if doctors take it themselves to help keep their immune systems healthy....we'll never hear that from the MD's...will we?

Stop changing my words. Must give you pleasure.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-07-2018 at 09:17 PM..
 
Old 07-08-2018, 03:16 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
1,653 posts, read 629,266 times
Reputation: 3310
Back to the OP:


Nobody is going to get out of this alive. We're all going to die. The only mystery is when and what cause of death is entered on the death certificate.



If a doctor could cure the first disease you present to him, you will live on to present with a second disease some day-- so he'll get a second round of profit. Ergo, the original contention that doctors make more money by not curing you is patently false. [BTW- the doc makes his money by just seeing you, not by what treatment he recommends.]



The fact is, most diseases are not "curable" but only "treatable" because most diseases have a genetic component that we are just now starting to deal with--"gene therapy."
 
Old 07-08-2018, 05:33 AM
 
219 posts, read 74,514 times
Reputation: 607
Like taking care of a car, preventive maintenance (i.e., gentle daily exercise, eating a balanced diet, staying out of the sun,not smoking), might not prevent all mechanical and electrical failures (illnesses), but it can make them less likely and make the quality of your "ride" much better in the long run.

Now that I'm in my forties, I regularly hear my acquaintances of a similar age bemoan how much getting older sucks in terms of health. Most of the ones who complain, did not take care of themselves and still don't despite the advice of their physicians (too many of my friends, acquaintances, and former classmates are quite overweight) and are beginning to pay for it now in terms of preventable chronic maladies and inconveniences.

Yes, a few who *did* take care of themselves got cancer from seemingly out of nowhere and one friend died of a pulmonary embolism at age forty-two (undiagnosed family pattern of clotting issues, it seems), and bad things do happen , but in the grand scheme of things, if you take care of yourself, both your quality of life and health will be better.

Last edited by Twenty Years in the Burgh; 07-08-2018 at 06:00 AM..
 
Old 07-08-2018, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,141 posts, read 10,574,410 times
Reputation: 9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Back to the OP:


Nobody is going to get out of this alive. We're all going to die. The only mystery is when and what cause of death is entered on the death certificate.



If a doctor could cure the first disease you present to him, you will live on to present with a second disease some day-- so he'll get a second round of profit. Ergo, the original contention that doctors make more money by not curing you is patently false. [BTW- the doc makes his money by just seeing you, not by what treatment he recommends.]



The fact is, most diseases are not "curable" but only "treatable" because most diseases have a genetic component that we are just now starting to deal with--"gene therapy."

Here is exciting news about a forty year old quest for an Aids vaccine: https://www.yahoo.com/news/candidate...225027681.html. It is possible that this new vaccine could save many lives. Of course it is too early and this might never become a reality. However; it is proof that our pharmaceutical corporations are still fighting a battle against many virulent diseases.
 
Old 07-08-2018, 06:57 AM
 
5,644 posts, read 3,194,565 times
Reputation: 6627
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is exciting news about a forty year old quest for an Aids vaccine: https://www.yahoo.com/news/candidate...225027681.html. It is possible that this new vaccine could save many lives. Of course it is too early and this might never become a reality. However; it is proof that our pharmaceutical corporations are still fighting a battle against many virulent diseases.
Another preventative vaccine; not a cure for those already infected. Pointless since we know how to prevent it, safe sex and not sharing needles. Will this be added to the ever growing childhood list as well?
 
Old 07-08-2018, 07:18 AM
 
Location: South Florida
637 posts, read 1,010,693 times
Reputation: 1909
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The grape can't be patented so forget pharma making it a drug, for now anyway.

I would not be surprised if doctors take it themselves to help keep their immune systems healthy....we'll never hear that from the MD's...will we?
Behold! Four pages of grape patents:

https://patents.justia.com/patents-b...PLT/205http://

It is actually probably cheaper for the producers of GSE to purchase the seeds left over after processing other varieties of grapes rather than to develop and patent a grape that produces a huge amount of seeds.

Your belief that MD's may be taking GSE themselves, yet keeping the info from their patients (and spouses, children, parents) is downright paranoid and actually wouldn't be possible to do even if they wanted to do so.
 
Old 07-08-2018, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Reputation: 26457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Another preventative vaccine; not a cure for those already infected. Pointless since we know how to prevent it, safe sex and not sharing needles. Will this be added to the ever growing childhood list as well?
Don't forget that babies can get it from their mothers, too.

For the life of me I cannot understand why finding a cure for an infectious viral disease is better than preventing the infection in the first place.
 
Old 07-08-2018, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Reputation: 26457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Behold! Four pages of grape patents:

https://patents.justia.com/patents-b...PLT/205http://

It is actually probably cheaper for the producers of GSE to purchase the seeds left over after processing other varieties of grapes rather than to develop and patent a grape that produces a huge amount of seeds.

Your belief that MD's may be taking GSE themselves, yet keeping the info from their patients (and spouses, children, parents) is downright paranoid and actually wouldn't be possible to do even if they wanted to do so.
Look! GSE is a waste product! LOL.
 
Old 07-08-2018, 08:38 AM
 
Location: In a vehicle.
4,547 posts, read 2,772,025 times
Reputation: 7316
[quote=cjseliga;52416038]Can you imagine if Americans just exercised regularly and ate a healthy balanced diet, how many less medical ailments, surgeries, medications to take, and doctor's visits they would have/need!/QUOTE]

It starts at home. If the parents don't have training/determination then they cannot pass on those qualities to the kids.

Mom was a daily tooth brushing...So was little sister. I didn't, now=r did older sister. MIne are gone, half of my sisters are...Like I said...training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top