U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2018, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
16,191 posts, read 5,101,440 times
Reputation: 11063

Advertisements

Interesting from an MD.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/r...velation/72407

Here is another link, the above is a link within this one:

https://anhinternational.org/2018/04...d-to-cure-you/

 
Old 07-06-2018, 06:45 PM
 
3,741 posts, read 2,468,144 times
Reputation: 4291
Can you imagine if Americans just exercised regularly and ate a healthy balanced diet, how many less medical ailments, surgeries, medications to take, and doctor's visits they would have/need!

I realize there are still genetic conditions and accidents people have that cause injuries that need immediate medical attention, but if people just took care of themselves.

Having many former friends who became doctors, some who are now teaching at various medical schools, they told me I would be amazed at how many people come to them, after using and abusing their bodies, by not exercising regularly and eating horribly, for 10, 20, 30 or more years, and think the doctor is some sort of "miracle worker" that can wave some magic wand and cure them of all their aliments.

Yeah, too bad it doesn't work like that. People need to be responsible and take control of their own health, it starts with you and you alone.

Getting back to the OP, there's probably 100,000's of us researchers, including myself, around the world working in universities and colleges looking for cures to various diseases and ailments. No one ever told us to stop looking for cures (didn't get the memo! ), I guess we are just wasting our time for nothing?

Last edited by cjseliga; 07-06-2018 at 07:00 PM..
 
Old 07-06-2018, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
16,191 posts, read 5,101,440 times
Reputation: 11063
I agree with the above and thinking over my life I would change the foods I ate but too late and I did exercise a lot but ended up with a lot of osteoarthritis and then a mess from hip replacement surgery.

My sister clung to all the drugs she took for MS for probably 25 yrs but lost the battle. the drugs did not "cure" her. I too believe should could have cleaned up her diet but too late...she was sucked into the drugs.

To be honest I would take a pharma drug for OA IF I knew I did not end up with side effects and IF the cost were more manageable for me, but maybe I'd work out the cost but for the side effects....

I'd love to get into the doctor's blog but can't seem to manuver it now...I'll have to work on that.

For probably the last 20 yrs for so I always thought there are no cures but bandaids.
 
Old 07-06-2018, 07:32 PM
 
3,741 posts, read 2,468,144 times
Reputation: 4291
Here's an example where curing patients is good for business.

In the last 5 years or so, pharma companies have developed new drugs to "cure" hepatitis C infections (only certain serotypes right now), the cost of the drugs can reach upwards of $84,000. There's about 3 million people just in the US with hep C infections, lets do the math, $84,000 x 3,000,000 = $252,000,000,000! That's 252 Billion dollars with a B.

See, curing patients is very good for business!
 
Old 07-06-2018, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
20,605 posts, read 25,040,870 times
Reputation: 25256
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Here's an example where curing patients is good for business.

In the last 5 years or so, pharma companies have developed new drugs to "cure" hepatitis C infections (only certain serotypes right now), the cost of the drugs can reach upwards of $84,000. There's about 3 million people just in the US with hep C infections, lets do the math, $84,000 x 3,000,000 = $252,000,000,000! That's 252 Billion dollars with a B.

See, curing patients is very good for business!
The doctor in the OP argues that such a drug is bad for business because curing hep C not only cures the hep C it reduces the pool of people infected with the virus and there will be fewer candidates for treatment in the future. The drug could put itself out of business.

What that ignores is that research will just turn to other diseases.

It also ignores the fact that drug company execs and researchers and their families get sick, too. That is a major reason to reject the theory that no one in drug research wants cures.

I wonder what the doctor in the OP thinks about vaccines. Vaccines do not make big bucks for drug companies. Big Pharma would make much more on drugs to treat vaccine preventable diseases and their complications.
 
Old 07-07-2018, 12:06 AM
Status: "Summer's here!" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
83,701 posts, read 96,793,272 times
Reputation: 30353
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Can you imagine if Americans just exercised regularly and ate a healthy balanced diet, how many less medical ailments, surgeries, medications to take, and doctor's visits they would have/need!

I realize there are still genetic conditions and accidents people have that cause injuries that need immediate medical attention, but if people just took care of themselves.

Having many former friends who became doctors, some who are now teaching at various medical schools, they told me I would be amazed at how many people come to them, after using and abusing their bodies, by not exercising regularly and eating horribly, for 10, 20, 30 or more years, and think the doctor is some sort of "miracle worker" that can wave some magic wand and cure them of all their aliments.

Yeah, too bad it doesn't work like that. People need to be responsible and take control of their own health, it starts with you and you alone.

Getting back to the OP, there's probably 100,000's of us researchers, including myself, around the world working in universities and colleges looking for cures to various diseases and ailments. No one ever told us to stop looking for cures (didn't get the memo! ), I guess we are just wasting our time for nothing?
Meaning, "I will never get sick because I exercise regularly and eat a healthy balanced diet". You're right, too bad it doesn't work like that. I would recommend not getting old.
 
Old 07-07-2018, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
16,191 posts, read 5,101,440 times
Reputation: 11063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Meaning, "I will never get sick because I exercise regularly and eat a healthy balanced diet". You're right, too bad it doesn't work like that. I would recommend not getting old.
If only, my mother always said "don't get old" and I'm about to turn 80....hard to believe but true. But so far I'm not sick but deal with OA. My alt med saves me I truly believe.

Here is Dr. Packer's blog that I could not open.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/r...velation/72407

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-07-2018 at 10:39 AM..
 
Old 07-07-2018, 01:37 PM
 
Location: equator
2,068 posts, read 883,346 times
Reputation: 5126
Genetics. Good diet and exercise won't prevent OA, kidney stones, appendicitis, some cancers.

There's a cure for cancer out there; but too much being profited on cancer-centers and treatments.
 
Old 07-07-2018, 01:47 PM
 
Location: on the wind
3,012 posts, read 1,078,134 times
Reputation: 10662
I guess my reaction to such whining is that nothing is all or nothing, black or white, this or that. Reality is inconveniently complicated. Some aspects of the health profession seek to put themselves out of business. Others want to stay in business. Some aspects are self-serving, others are selfless. Trying to pin the villain label on everyone is ridiculous. So is sainthood. It is lazy thinking, sanctimonious, and frankly, impossible.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-07-2018 at 02:08 PM..
 
Old 07-07-2018, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Central New Jersey
950 posts, read 349,040 times
Reputation: 1444
Eat good and stay active and you'll not have to contribute to these pharmaceutical companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top