U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 11:04 PM

18,929 posts, read 6,193,789 times

Advertisements

It's amazing mine have lasted as long as they have but I'm dealing with issues from the right one and it's majorally due to body being off from hip replacement. I know this for sure.

I never did heavy weight bearing work and many have destroyed their joints with this work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 09:11 AM

7,255 posts, read 9,624,004 times
Take your records and get a second opinion from a reputable ortho. Just because one Doctor diagnosed a particular injury doesn't necessarily mean that is the case. Not a reflection on how good or bad the person is just a consultation based upon the issue being unresolved. You could have created another ancillary injury after the therapy or it could be something that needs additional treatment. The money you spend, even if out of pocket, for the consult, will be pennies on the dollar in later life.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:13 AM

2,485 posts, read 1,302,996 times
I would get a second opinion at this point from an orthopedic doctor who specializes in knees. I had a mri in the fall and it showed some damage but not nearly the extent of it. My ortho recommended pt initially and injections which didnít work. He had warned me they may not because when he felt my knee and without even reading the results knew it needed surgery to fix.

Had surgery in may and when they got in there it was even worse than expected and Iím now on the road to recovery. A good ortho makes all the difference. At this point you may need a minor surgery to look around and clean up some cartilage among other things even if the mri didnít show it.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:35 AM

11,386 posts, read 5,880,809 times
X-ray and MRI rarely show much. You want to see a top sports medicine guy who scopes knees every day. If the guy doesn't have signed glossy photos of pro athletes on the walls, you're in the wrong office.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:45 AM

19,061 posts, read 10,093,838 times
Agree about getting a second opinion. I recently had a herniated disk on MRI - except that the neurosurgeon showed me where it was on the MRI which was in a different place than the radiologist had said on the report. I trust the neurosurgeon more because he also showed me the nerve it was affecting, which was exactly where my symptoms were. But the point is that it was the same MRI image but two different doctors, two different opinions.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:51 AM

762 posts, read 225,521 times
you don't mention ice. something simple as that could work wonders. i'm old. really old. i fall down a lot. i just lose my balance all the time..... ice works wonders. and i have had some truly incapacitating falls. i can't afford prescription anything..... maybe a bit of support will help too? ya never know.... you can try a over the counter knee support thingy or make your own from an old support hose. keep trying though.... pain is so hard to live with.... right now i have shingles and the agony has been off the charts....but i do breathing exercises and meditate and slow slow small bits of yoga and i can manage the pain with that without having to climb the walls...... best of luck!!!!

Old 07-07-2018, 11:00 AM

13,126 posts, read 17,679,712 times
Have you tried a knee brace for when the pain gets too be too much ? also I use ice and a knee brace . I don't like taking meds too much because I think they do more harm than good . Ice does work wonders and so does heat sometimes but if there is swelling at any time don't use heat obviously . I think some people have white coat syndrome and think the one dr they see because he was recommended is the say all do all so to speak . I would always get a 2 nd opinion I injured my knee falling on a concrete sidewalk years ago and I have had pain ever since and the response I got from drs was I cant see anything on the mri or any of the scans so you don't have a problem . Excuse me we all know if there is pain , there is a problem but just because a dr cannot see it does not mean it is not there . I just gave up with even having a normal knee anymore and I live with the pain which is what you may have to do too sorry to say . I wish you luck and hope you have better results from a dr than I did .

Old 07-07-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
X-ray and MRI rarely show much. You want to see a top sports medicine guy who scopes knees every day. If the guy doesn't have signed glossy photos of pro athletes on the walls, you're in the wrong office.
This is true in many respects and a sports med MD got me hooked on the protocol of prolo. I did mention this in an earlier note to OP. Often one has to go out of conventional medicine world that ortho MD's live in. The MD I hear every week and who does so much of this work, says he works with his hands to locate the root of pain...MRI's can help but he does not treat by them.

And too often the surgeons clean out good stuff in the knee when they go in and do us favors. I believe this happened to me with a recent "clean out"....in retrospect and what I live with, wish they had not done it....I was in hospital and at their mercy, different issue but docs don't all do good things.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:14 AM

13,126 posts, read 17,679,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is true in many respects and a sports med MD got me hooked on the protocol of prolo. I did mention this in an earlier note to OP. Often one has to go out of conventional medicine world that ortho MD's live in. The MD I hear every week and who does so much of this work, says he works with his hands to locate the root of pain...MRI's can help but he does not treat by them.

And too often the surgeons clean out good stuff in the knee when they go in and do us favors. I believe this happened to me with a recent "clean out"....in retrospect and what I live with, wish they had not done it....I was in hospital and at their mercy, different issue but docs don't all do good things.

that is all so true but sport med drs seem to charge out the ying yang and for those of us with limited health insurance don't get the opportunity to see these guys because the insurance wont pay or give approval for them and it is such a hassle to get any kind of approval for anything from an insurance company . Especially my insurance that my husband took through his work . Any discussion with said insurance company is like a 100 years war . a friend of mine just found out her insurance company has not been paying their bills so she is having to see an attorney to see what her options are as some of her health bills have been turned over to collections . Something I like to avoid forever in the future .

Old 07-07-2018, 11:21 AM

Some times one finds a way. Going out of the so called system. I live on limited income and at 80 my working days are behind me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness