U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 07:09 PM

42 posts, read 14,658 times

Advertisements

Long story short I had an injury on the Job back in janurary 2018.

It was a twisting sensation when my boot caught a lip on the floor and didn’t turn with my weight .

I have instant and debilitating pain in my knee cap that I can’t pinpoint it feels like it is everywhere .

X ray and mri were both negative . I have now been to physical therapy for almost 3 months total and it is going on 6 months since my injury . Physical therapy ovbiously hasn’t helped , the cortisone shot injected into my patellar tendon hasn’t work .

The pain is instant and happens when walking up stairs but more so on the decline comming down . Getting up and sitting down in a chair . Even sitting and putting pressure on my heel activates the pain in my knee .

I haven’t been able to work out ( lower body ) and cardio I’ve been staying off it .

I don’t know what is causing the pain but I’m giving up and becoming extremely
Frustrated my fitness aspect of my life has been taken away and it’s causing my career to decline as well

Original diagnosis was a patellar tendon strain and quad fascia strain .

I’m not sure what else I can do because nothing has worked . It’s to the point now I just don’t ever see myself being better because it’s veen so long I don’t remember what having my normal healthy lower body felt like.

I’m also only in my mid 20s my injury should be healing . I am
Not overweight either , I use to lift weights 3-6 days a week and I eat a healthy balanced diet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 07:23 PM

18,820 posts, read 6,149,026 times
OP: Sounds like you've done a lot but haven't looked into this work for regenerative healing. Look at it.

http://www.getprolo.com/

I have a very problem knee, arthritic and injury and I'm old and have not given up the thought of the above work. This work addresses ligaments and tendons.

Don't force it, take it easy with it until you know more and have some healing.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Sounds like you've done a lot but haven't looked into this work for regenerative healing. Look at it.

Find Regenerative Medicine Doctors - GetProlo.com

I have a very problem knee, arthritic and injury and I'm old and have not given up the thought of the above work. This work addresses ligaments and tendons.

Don't force it, take it easy with it until you know more and have some healing.

I donít know if that would work as nothing is torn or damaged . The doctor I keep going to thinks my
Cartilidge under my knee cap is inflamed so he gave me the cortisone after 3 months of PT not working and for 3-4 days my knee felt 100% but now itís back to day 1 debilitating

Old 07-06-2018, 07:46 PM

18,820 posts, read 6,149,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNy92 View Post
I don’t know if that would work as nothing is torn or damaged . The doctor I keep going to thinks my
Cartilidge under my knee cap is inflamed so he gave me the cortisone after 3 months of PT not working and for 3-4 days my knee felt 100% but now it’s back to day 1 debilitating
Cortisone does more damage, breaks down the cartilage The ligaments can be stretched and loose...would not hurt for at least a consult with a qualified provider. I'm not talking torn. This work tightens the ligaments and tendons.

I'm certainly no doctor but listen to one every week about this issue and damage from the steroids.

You are young and I'm quite old and pretty jaded about the treatments given to patients, that don't work.

BTW: Athletes are getting this work both in the U.S. and Europe. Many go overseas for it, but it's becoming more and more available here in the U.S.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:01 PM

496 posts, read 221,186 times
OP - what kind of treatment(s) did you undergo in physical therapy, for ex. exercises, hot/cold compresses, etc? 3 months is a long time to be in PT, esp. if you have had no results. I am a PT.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
OP - what kind of treatment(s) did you undergo in physical therapy, for ex. exercises, hot/cold compresses, etc? 3 months is a long time to be in PT, esp. if you have had no results. I am a PT.

The main issue was it was a pending comp case so after my initial 4 weeks I waited a month and a half for authorization for my second 4-8 weeks which I’m currently in .

They seem to be doing a lot of hip flexer and hamstring strength excercises . My last session yesterday they did something new it looked like a protractor tool and they were “ scraping “ adhesions off my quad muscle and where it attaches to my knee . I do bridges squeezing a kickball between my knees , I did side lunges with a thera band around both ankles . Nothing really pushing the knee to heal . I have a different Pt most days . One seems to be doing more stretching and strength to supporting for muscles . The other is an athletic guy my age and seems to understand my injury more he does a lot of lifting my knee cap and moving it around and massaging the patellar tendon .

At this point I don’t really know what to do , I just want to be normal again . I even injured my deltoid/ lat now from overworking my upper body and not being able to do anything lower

Old 07-06-2018, 08:22 PM

The iliopsoas hip flexor, hamstrings and adductor muscles (the ones on the inside of your leg, which you use when you squeeze a ball between your knees) are not connected to the patella so those exercises would be more for general strengthening than for directly addressing your pain. Try to request the same PT each time you go, so there will be more continuity in the treatments. If the city where you live has a university with a DPT program, look for a free clinic run by the faculty and the PT students. That way you can get a second opinion.

Last edited by 2nccoast; 07-06-2018 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
The hip flexors, hamstrings and adductor muscles (the ones on the inside of your leg, which you use when you squeeze a ball between your knees) are not connected to the patella so those exercises would be more for general strengthening than for directly addressing your pain. Try to request the same PT each time you go, so there will be more continuity in the treatments. If the city where you live has a university with a DPT program, look for a free clinic run by the faculty and the PT students. That way you can get a second opinion.

Will I be able to do that if it’s acomp case ?

Yeah it seems they believe my hamstring and hip flexer are weak and causing more strain and pull on the knee :

But makes no sense because at the time of my injury I was working out often upper and lower body splits I don’t think my muscles would be unbalanced

What could possibly be going on ?

Old 07-06-2018, 09:00 PM

Those clinics are free and walk-ins are welcome. It's a training ground for PT students, but they are always supervised by a PT faculty member. So it doesn't matter if you have or don't have insurance or worker's comp.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:55 PM

860 posts, read 448,584 times
Whatever you do. Take care of your knees. Mine are so jacked up, and I'm barely into my 30's. I can't even remember what it feels like to be without knee pain and athletic limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness