U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 11:57 AM

127 posts, read 42,570 times

Advertisements

I think I'm the complete opposite of you. If I see people using gloves in food prep I worry that they don't wash their hands between handling different foods because of the gloves. Too afraid they aren't washing their hands enough or changing their gloves every time they switch products.

I've found that you really just have to accept the risk eating out. I know it's just my own experience; but I've gotten sick at more "refined" places vs the typical taco truck or sushi place. Funny enough two places I always get sick at (and heard of the most people getting sick at for chains) are Chipotle and Subway; and I know both have had tons of issues in the past with having bad products and food handling issues so obviously those gloves only do so well. And I used to work in a Subway and can tell you that many of the franchises have questionable standards behind the glass if the owner doesn't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 12:07 PM

13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Don't bother me in the least

If the food isn't fully cooked; it bothers me. There is always the chance that a food preparer has Hepatitis A or worse: Should Food Workers be Required to Receive the Hepatitis A Vaccine? | Food Poison Journal. I like to have cold sandwiches (even hot sandwiches if they are served in a cold bun or on bread/hoagie) or salads prepared by employees in disposable gloves and I like to see those gloves removed when they touch money. Then new gloves put on when they start preparing the next order.

However, if the food will be cooked at high heat for at least fifteen minutes; then I am not as concerned.

The extra step of disposable gloves demonstrates to customers that the restaurant cares about the health of their customers.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:15 PM

1,481 posts, read 591,143 times
When I see chefs on TV mixing ingredients with bare hands it makes me want to barf. How about not just washing your hands but putting on a pair of single use disposble food gloves? They come in a box like sandwich bags.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:26 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
When I see chefs on TV mixing ingredients with bare hands it makes me want to barf. How about not just washing your hands but putting on a pair of single use disposble food gloves? They come in a box like sandwich bags.
My mother and aunts cooked their foods for decades without gloves....I'm sure all the Italians and Poles use gloves in their countries and Ireland and France and and and!!!!!! NOT

Old 07-07-2018, 12:32 PM

13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My mother and aunts cooked their foods for decades without gloves....I'm sure all the Italians and Poles use gloves in their countries and Ireland and France and and and!!!!!! NOT

But that was before we knew as much as we do now!

Old 07-07-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But that was before we knew as much as we do now!
Maybe we know all the stuff we don't need to know. I still don't use gloves to cook and never will.

And I've been eating in restaurants run by all those 3rd world people and have had no issues and don't worry about this. Keep my immune system healthy with what I do.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:42 PM

218 posts, read 69,264 times
Hands, gloves. Not sure it matters. Next time you eat out, imagine where your cooks, servers and dishwashers slept last night.

Then stock up on TV dinners.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
So to mix ground meat to make a meatloaf you use gloves??? More and more plastic huh?

Old 07-07-2018, 01:15 PM

85,979 posts, read 3,525,755 times
What bothers me are sandwich places where the employee (wearing gloves) makes your sandwich, then walks to the cash register, takes your money, gives you change, then goes back to start another sandwich. The gloves are never changed.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:34 PM

2,604 posts, read 1,111,397 times
Anyone who has worked in a restaurant knows several people are touching, poking and prodding your food. Without gloves. Then the harried server has to touch your money as well. No time in between for that 20-second hot water wash and scrubbed nails----LOL.

Handling raw meat was the only time I saw gloves used----reality check!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness