U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 217 times

Advertisements

I worked in the hospitality industry for 20+ years, serving, cooking, bartending, managing, you name it I've done it. Glove give a false sense of security. Unless the person wearing them changes then with each action they take, the gloves aren't keeping your food sanitary. If a person is wearing gloves and picks up a towel to wipe down the counter and doesn't change his gloves, or he brushes his hair back or picks up a roast beef and moves it out of the way to make your veggie sandwich and doesn't change his gloves, there is going to be cross contamination. The only thing gloves do is keep the person wearing them from having to wash their hands so many times during the day. BUT if they are wearing gloves they should be changing them as often as they would be washing their hands and I've never seen anyone do that. My perspective is that generally gloves are less sanitary than bare hands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 10:00 PM

10,188 posts, read 4,786,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinsb View Post
I worked in the hospitality industry for 20+ years, serving, cooking, bartending, managing, you name it I've done it. Glove give a false sense of security. Unless the person wearing them changes then with each action they take, the gloves aren't keeping your food sanitary. If a person is wearing gloves and picks up a towel to wipe down the counter and doesn't change his gloves, or he brushes his hair back or picks up a roast beef and moves it out of the way to make your veggie sandwich and doesn't change his gloves, there is going to be cross contamination. The only thing gloves do is keep the person wearing them from having to wash their hands so many times during the day. BUT if they are wearing gloves they should be changing them as often as they would be washing their hands and I've never seen anyone do that. My perspective is that generally gloves are less sanitary than bare hands
Yes. Lacking gloves they need to wash their hands for their own sake! I see grocery clerks wearing gloves too, to protect their hands from germs, they are of no help to the customers. They could leave them germy all day for all they would be affected by it.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 PM

2,383 posts, read 1,695,648 times
For that matter, just think of how raw produce is handled. Next time you buy some tomato for your salad and just casually rinse it off, are you really getting all of the germs and/or pesticides off? I don't think so. The human body is designed to resist a LOT of germs on foods, surfaces and in the air we breathe. I am not that worried.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:45 PM

25,768 posts, read 16,635,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
For that matter, just think of how raw produce is handled. Next time you buy some tomato for your salad and just casually rinse it off, are you really getting all of the germs and/or pesticides off? I don't think so. The human body is designed to resist a LOT of germs on foods, surfaces and in the air we breathe. I am not that worried.
Plus, I believe, it is good for our bodies to be exposed to germs and dirt to keep our immune system working well. Not sure if it is scientifically backed, but I don't think we were meant to have everything we do be sterile.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 07-09-2018, 12:55 PM

1,890 posts, read 841,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Plus, I believe, it is good for our bodies to be exposed to germs and dirt to keep our immune system working well. Not sure if it is scientifically backed, but I don't think we were meant to have everything we do be sterile.

Absolutely. and yes we are now seeing studies that show that kids who have grown up with their parents "purelling" them to death are having harder times resisting what use to be simple common stuff.

Your bodies antibodies build up after being exposed to the "cooties"

Instead of gloves I'd rather see tons of hand washing. separated work stations (raw meats, raw vegetables, etc) and proper storage of food.

You know how we're taught not to leave food "out"? things like that. If a restaurant prepares a dish totally safe and then lets it sit out at the wrong temperature, gloves or no gloves, you can get sick.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:18 PM

67,778 posts, read 77,590,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No, actually I never understood the wearing of gloves. Don't diseases spread just as easily on them?
My thoughts as well. Think of all the years plastic gloves were not even available. If anything I am more concerned about all the plastic that may be hurting our lakes and rivers

Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 AM

1,528 posts, read 644,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I have worked in restaurants, I am not particularly concerned with people wearing gloves when they prepare food. I'm much more concerned about waitstaff being visibly ill and handling my food *after* it has been cooked.
This.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:25 PM

789 posts, read 410,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You mean like you with your paranoia about 'big pharma' making money from the products they sell and insisting that they really just want to keep everybody sick? Amazing. Such inconsistency calls rationality into question.

I have worked in restaurants, I am not particularly concerned with people wearing gloves when they prepare food. I'm much more concerned about waitstaff being visibly ill and handling my food *after* it has been cooked.
The guy selling me sushi has an economic interest in NOT making me sick because he wants me to come back to buy his sushi again.

But the pharmaceutical companies DO have a vested interest in keeping people sick so that they keep buying "medicine", just like the hospitals have a vested interest in keeping you coming back for more and more "tests", follow ups, and unnecessary treatments. The doctors seem to like to push pills too.

And who is arguing about keeping visibly sick waitstaff at work? No one, seems like you brought that one up.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:41 AM

11,851 posts, read 9,956,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
The guy selling me sushi has an economic interest in NOT making me sick because he wants me to come back to buy his sushi again.

But the pharmaceutical companies DO have a vested interest in keeping people sick so that they keep buying "medicine", just like the hospitals have a vested interest in keeping you coming back for more and more "tests", follow ups, and unnecessary treatments. The doctors seem to like to push pills too.

And who is arguing about keeping visibly sick waitstaff at work? No one, seems like you brought that one up.

We just found out that people do not have to be visibly sick to spread the flu: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320690.php. So it is possible that food handlers, that look and feel healthy, are not healthy.

Pharmaceutical companies DO NOT have a vested interest in keeping people sick. Our FDA constantly monitors the effectiveness of their medications and safety. Plus anybody can report any problems with the medications and that will launch an investigation. Not protecting the public is one quick way to go out of business.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:13 PM

1,528 posts, read 644,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post

Norovirus (stomach bug) is the leading cause of illness and outbreaks from contaminated food in the United States and infected food workers are frequently the source of the outbreaks. They could take one day off and come back the next day, look "fine", and still be spreading the germs onto your food, cups, utensils, etc.

So you don't even have to be visibly sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness