U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 879 times

Advertisements

I don't really care. If in a restaurant or at other good place a cook makes food in front of your eyes, then it's okay. But when speaking of street food, when a person who cooks food at the same time takes money, touches the hands of customers and then again prepares food with his bare hands, it worries me a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:42 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
cooks should always wash their hands before, during and after preparing food, especially when moving between raw and cooked food.
people working on a food preparation line in a factory should always wear gloves....no exceptions.
we are not talking about working in a food factory. I do think too many people are way to worried about germs. How would some of you survived 50 years ago? As for those who will not even go to a pot luck what would you have done 50 years ago as well?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:42 PM

4,507 posts, read 6,732,486 times
For me, Id like to see all food handlers wear gloves. See, when they use the bathroom, do you think they do a thorough job of washing their hands, especially with small sinks and paper towels to wipe? Think hepatitis A...we had massive outbreak of it in San Diego.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,932,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
For me, Id like to see all food handlers wear gloves. See, when they use the bathroom, do you think they do a thorough job of washing their hands, especially with small sinks and paper towels to wipe? Think hepatitis A...we had massive outbreak of it in San Diego.
For raw foods yes, for cooked foods no need to worry. As has been stated previously what's to keep the gloves themselves from getting contaminated? Germs or whatever will also stick to gloves if not changed regularly and certain practices followed.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:08 PM

13,141 posts, read 10,574,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

Also think long fingernails, the bathroom, and our food!

Nothing turns us away from a restaurant more than trying t eat food with hair. It is one thing to not care about whether or not you get your loved one's hair in your mouth; it is another thing to get a stranger's hair in your mouth.

We know that it is not a perfect world and to live in a bubble could be detrimental in the long run. But it is better that we chose our level of exposure than others for us. Poor personal hygiene reflects poorly on any eating establishment. It can also be reported: Restaurant Inspections In Your Area | Food Safety News. When cited for offenses some establishments lose customers, fines or are shut down.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:00 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,539,506 times
To the original question, no.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:15 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,729,333 times
human beings are not very clean at the best of times, if they are handling food they should wear disposable gloves.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:14 AM

486 posts, read 185,659 times
Whether they use bare hands or gloves that have been on them forever, once both touch their noses or mouths....there's no difference at that point. Very few places actually use a new pair of disposable gloves when preparing a meal for each customer. For me, the turn off comes when the person handling cash, is also the food preparer....yuk!

Old 07-13-2018, 06:29 AM

4,783 posts, read 1,544,109 times
There was a study done that bare hands were actually cleaner than gloved hands. Bare handers washed their hands more often as they were cognizant of the state of cleanliness. Gloved handers figured the gloves made their hands clean, and didn't change them often enough lt alone ever wash them. How often do you see someone at a counter get your food while wearing gloves and then take your money, touching the money with the gloved hands?

Old 07-14-2018, 11:36 AM

644 posts, read 142,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just curious, but does the thought of a cook or food prep/server cooking and handling your food with bare hands a turn off?

I am reminded of this often as I like to watch food videos, particularly street foods being cooked. Majority of these cooks use their bare hands to prep the food, cook it, and then serve it.

I admit I am not a fan of this concept though I'm sure it happens in practically every restaurant you go to. I just don't think most people clean their hands very well, if at all, and that includes those working in the food industry. I feel a bit better going to chains like Chipotle or Subway as they use a new set of gloves for handling your food. But other chains like Taco Bell I've seen people in the back using their bare hands to prep the food.

I've had horrible diarrhea in the past from eating at restaurants, so I am wary though I don't stress over it. The sushi place I go to, the chefs actually use gloves also to prep the food.

I am more concerned about people with long hair, beards, and wearing old ball caps while preparing food.

Amazing that factories that make food ingredients abide by very strict standards regarding hair nets/beard nets ( some forbid gum chewing ) yet there seems to be no restrictions on workers who prepare food using those ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness