U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 PM

14,693 posts, read 8,274,381 times

Advertisements

Just curious, but does the thought of a cook or food prep/server cooking and handling your food with bare hands a turn off?

I am reminded of this often as I like to watch food videos, particularly street foods being cooked. Majority of these cooks use their bare hands to prep the food, cook it, and then serve it.

I admit I am not a fan of this concept though I'm sure it happens in practically every restaurant you go to. I just don't think most people clean their hands very well, if at all, and that includes those working in the food industry. I feel a bit better going to chains like Chipotle or Subway as they use a new set of gloves for handling your food. But other chains like Taco Bell I've seen people in the back using their bare hands to prep the food.

I've had horrible diarrhea in the past from eating at restaurants, so I am wary though I don't stress over it. The sushi place I go to, the chefs actually use gloves also to prep the food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 11:10 PM

26,776 posts, read 17,223,791 times
No, actually I never understood the wearing of gloves. Don't diseases spread just as easily on them?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 07-07-2018, 07:24 AM

2,849 posts, read 1,126,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just curious, but does the thought of a cook or food prep/server cooking and handling your food with bare hands a turn off?

I am reminded of this often as I like to watch food videos, particularly street foods being cooked. Majority of these cooks use their bare hands to prep the food, cook it, and then serve it.

I admit I am not a fan of this concept though I'm sure it happens in practically every restaurant you go to. I just don't think most people clean their hands very well, if at all, and that includes those working in the food industry. I feel a bit better going to chains like Chipotle or Subway as they use a new set of gloves for handling your food. But other chains like Taco Bell I've seen people in the back using their bare hands to prep the food.

I've had horrible diarrhea in the past from eating at restaurants, so I am wary though I don't stress over it. The sushi place I go to, the chefs actually use gloves also to prep the food.
It makes sense if a person has a cut on their hands or other issues like a rash, but for the most part, it doesnít always make sense. If you are prepping raw food and then go to cooked, you arenít going to keep the same gloves on. Youíd need to put on a new pair of gloves. Itís much easier just to wash your hands and move on instead of wasting 20+ pairs of gloves in a night as you switch from handling one type of food to another. I imagine this would be more the case in a small restaurant where there arenít as many cooks to handle different parts of the process.

Yes, food contamination does happen, but in many cases it happens when people donít fully wash their hands after going to the bathroom or when they are sick and do not realize it. For example, norovirus is highly contagious but people are usually contagious well before they realize they are sick and it might spread onto food at that point. If you do have it, it usually requires a lot of heavy duty deep cleaning to sanitize the area. Part of the problem is just as much that many employers donít offer sick days, so people will come in if they are feeling a little off... You can still touch your hands and face with gloves, so if the surface is already contaminated with norovirus, how are gloves going to help?

Old 07-07-2018, 08:03 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,693,816 times
cooks should always wash their hands before, during and after preparing food, especially when moving between raw and cooked food.
people working on a food preparation line in a factory should always wear gloves....no exceptions.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 AM

2,001 posts, read 734,412 times
Oddly, as I recall, the first place I ever saw food handlers wearing gloves was not in the US, but in Chile, where servers in the meat and produce department in a supermarket wore plastic gloves to handle unwrapped food, that was in about 1991. By that time I had not yet seen it in the USA.

Another feature outside the US that I though was interesting: In Poland in the 1960s, there would always be a sink on the wall in restaurants where diners could quickly wash their hands before and/or after eating, without having to wait to get into the bathrooms. Particularly in the kinds of places where working-class people ate their daytime meals.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:27 AM

17,863 posts, read 5,768,426 times
So many are just overly paranoid today. Never thought of it. The sushi place I go to don't use gloves.

When I think of all the years I've been eating in and out and never worried about gloves, good grief.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-07-2018 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-07-2018, 10:55 AM

1,257 posts, read 595,617 times
People go to the bathroom and don't wash their hands. They sneeze into their hands, they pick at things, they scratch their scalps, they stick their fingers in their ears, all without washing their hands. We know what people do with their hands.

I prefer gloved food makers, and the gloves changed frequently, not just one pair used all day. Not necessarily afraid of catching a disease, I just like to see cleanliness when preparing food.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:37 AM

2,579 posts, read 1,666,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I would think that would be from the sushi.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:39 AM

8,706 posts, read 3,725,259 times
When I'm cooking, I thoroughly wash my hands and use a brush under my fingernails and I do this numerous times if I'm touching raw meat like when I prepare my meatloaf or chicken piccata. I would prefer restaurant food preparers either wear gloves when handling raw foods or have a sink nearby and they wash their hands well.

But in my 63 years on this earth I've only gotten food poisoning once in the late 70's. However I stopped going to potluck suppers because I'm leery about other's people's kitchen habits and hand washing routine.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:39 AM

1,307 posts, read 454,392 times
Don't bother me in the least
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness