U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

1,985 posts, read 754,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
No, clearly it is genetic. These numbers have never moved my entire life.

When I was on a medically supervised liquid diet.. so I only drank medically supervised shakes all day.. they went way up. So you can drink all day long and still be dehydrated - kidneys just eliminate what you take in unless you have something like salt or sugar to hold it there. Why do you think you lose "water weight" when you start dieting. Cause you eat less food.

My doctor is fine with them as long as the blood sugar and the triglycerides stay low. Which they do, when I am fasting.

Well ok but I don't have diabetes so my doctor doesn't order it. She orders the lipid profile first which includes the blood sugar and triglycerides which are the gate way to concern and "lets consider drugs" discussion.
My issues with cholesterol are also genetic unfortunately. I fought to keep them in the 190-200 range and did okay until menopause hit then my total serum cholesterol shot up to 251 despite not doing anything differently The doctor gave me a couple of months to try and reduce it by increasing my excercise regimen but ah, no luck at all. I think it dropped maybe 2 points.

I am really surprised that your doctor is okay with total serum cholesterol readings over 200 on a consistent basis. Most of them I saw were unhappy enough when I was running right around 200 or just under it.

I've been on Lipitor for a year and within the first month on it the cholesterol dropped from 249 to 161. My HDL levels increased 2.5X and my LDL levels fell to very low levels. I know that there are people out there who like to bash statins but they have been great for me.

Heart disease (due to high cholesterol) and strokes (also due to high cholesterol) run in my family. There is no fool proof way to outrun either one of them but I definitely don't want to increase my chances of it happening earlier by ignoring high cholesterol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

833 posts, read 320,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Heart disease (due to high cholesterol) and strokes (also due to high cholesterol) run in my family. There is no fool proof way to outrun either one of them but I definitely don't want to increase my chances of it happening earlier by ignoring high cholesterol

You didn't say if you had other factors such as diabetes or high blood pressure but it is now the standard of care that medication should not be given out for high cholesterol alone. If you don't have those you shouldn't be on medication. I have low blood pressure, good blood sugar, and low triglycerides. It is possible that things will change for me after menopause but I will cross that bridge when I get there. I am definitely close so hopeful that I am going to avoid it.

You should look into heart rhythm and stroke. I recently learned that A-fib is a much bigger factor than previously thought.

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

1,985 posts, read 754,830 times
Quote:
You didn't say if you had other factors such as diabetes or high blood pressure but it is now the standard of care that medication should not be given out for high cholesterol alone. If you don't have those you shouldn't be on medication. I have low blood pressure, good blood sugar, and low triglycerides. It is possible that things will change for me after menopause but I will cross that bridge when I get there. I am definitely close so hopeful that I am going to avoid it.

You should look into heart rhythm and stroke. I recently learned that A-fib is a much bigger factor than previously thought.
No, I don't have diabetes and my blood pressure is generally low (100/60). My triglyceride level is not low but it's in the "normal" range on tests.

No A-fib but yes, that can be also be a contributing factor as well to stroke.

Sitting here watching DH eating a meal of red meat with whole fat milk and buttered bread as usual while he manages to keep a cholesterol level of 170.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

2,378 posts, read 948,661 times
Quote:
No, clearly it is genetic. These numbers have never moved my entire life.

When I was on a medically supervised liquid diet.. so I only drank medically supervised shakes all day.. they went way up. So you can drink all day long and still be dehydrated - kidneys just eliminate what you take in unless you have something like salt or sugar to hold it there. Why do you think you lose "water weight" when you start dieting. Cause you eat less food.

My doctor is fine with them as long as the blood sugar and the triglycerides stay low. Which they do, when I am fasting.

Well ok but I don't have diabetes so my doctor doesn't order it. She orders the lipid profile first which includes the blood sugar and triglycerides which are the gate way to concern and "lets consider drugs" discussion.
Iíve never been told that I need to have salt or sugar to keep myself from becoming dehydrated. Yes, sometimes replenishing electrolytes is necessary if you are doing something that is intense like running a marathon, but for the most part, drinking plain water is absolutely fine or even preferred over drinking something like Gatorade or anything with sugar or a sugar substitute. In many cases, when you are hungry, what you are feeling is thirst or dehydration, so it is best to try drinking something like water first to see if that helps. Iíve certainly never been told I canít drink any water before a fasting lab.

Old Today, 05:03 AM

833 posts, read 320,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Iíve certainly never been told I canít drink any water before a fasting lab.
But I was never told to be sure to do it. Which one might not concentrate on when you told to strictly fast. This should be pointed out when there are medical studies on the books that clearly indicate your cholesterol test can be higher if you are dehydrated. Clearly my doctor doesn't know this or she would not freak every time my result came back high when she knows I am dieting.

She is such a denial monster. I told her the situation and she goes... "great job on your healthy eating plan and getting those numbers down" so even after I told her I got them down via hydration... and not eating, she is just going to assume it was "eating" or she is going to make sure the record reflects that.

When modern science is clear that what we eat doesn't make much of a difference.

Quote:
Iíve never been told that I need to have salt or sugar to keep myself from becoming dehydrated.
Probably because most people are eating along with their water. But if you aren't getting carbs and salt in food along with your water, the water will go right through you. Most water based diet plans insist you have their liquid diet AND 8 glasses of water. Shouldn't that kill you? No because you just piddle most of the product out all day long.

Glycogen is what produces water weight. When you go on a diet and lose glycogen you lose tons of water.

Old Today, 05:08 AM

4,380 posts, read 10,207,385 times
Quote:
But I was never told to be sure to do it. Which one might not concentrate on when you told to strictly fast. This should be pointed out when there are medical studies on the books that clearly indicate your cholesterol test can be higher if you are dehydrated. Clearly my doctor doesn't know this or she would not freak every time my result came back high when she knows I am dieting.

She is such a denial monster. I told her the situation and she goes... "great job on your healthy eating plan and getting those numbers down" so even after I told her I got them down via hydration... and not eating, she is just going to assume it was "eating" or she is going to make sure the record reflects that.

When modern science is clear that what we eat doesn't make much of a difference.

Probably because most people are eating along with their water. But if you aren't getting carbs and salt in food along with your water, the water will go right through you. Most water based diet plans insist you have their liquid diet AND 8 glasses of water. Shouldn't that kill you? No because you just piddle most of the product out all day long.

Glycogen is what produces water weight. When you go on a diet and lose glycogen you lose tons of water.
Absolute NONSENSE....

You CAN'T get dehydrated drinking water PERIOD

Doesn't matter whether you have food, salt, or sugar to go along with it....

Learn some basic physiology....

Old Today, 07:55 AM

12,191 posts, read 6,419,551 times
Quote:

If you are ALWAYS dehydrated, as a matter of course, because you just don't drink much then that becomes YOUR STANDARD and it does in fact represent your typical state. That tells you that if you were PROPERLY hydrated your tested levels (and your NEW standard [hydrated] levels) would be different.

Get it?

And all that stuff about carbs and salt with water is just weird - does not compute.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

2,331 posts, read 690,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
My issues with cholesterol are also genetic unfortunately. I fought to keep them in the 190-200 range and did okay until menopause hit then my total serum cholesterol shot up to 251 despite not doing anything differently The doctor gave me a couple of months to try and reduce it by increasing my excercise regimen but ah, no luck at all. I think it dropped maybe 2 points.

I am really surprised that your doctor is okay with total serum cholesterol readings over 200 on a consistent basis. Most of them I saw were unhappy enough when I was running right around 200 or just under it.

I've been on Lipitor for a year and within the first month on it the cholesterol dropped from 249 to 161. My HDL levels increased 2.5X and my LDL levels fell to very low levels. I know that there are people out there who like to bash statins but they have been great for me.

Scientific research has NOT shown that cholesterol-lowering drugs will keep you safe from heart disease and strokes. Especially not for women.

The evidence is extremely weak, but is expressed in ways that make it sound great.

The risk reduction with these drugs is only around 1 or 2 percent, and that is only if you already have artery disease.

Adverse effects from these drugs are well known and common, but are minimized in the reports.

Research on mice showed that they benefit less from exercise if they take these drugs. It is well known that they interfere with important processes in muscle cells.

And the long term effects of taking them are not known.

Old Today, 10:38 AM

12,191 posts, read 6,419,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Scientific research has NOT shown that cholesterol-lowering drugs will keep you safe from heart disease and strokes. Especially not for women.

The evidence is extremely weak, but is expressed in ways that make it sound great.

The risk reduction with these drugs is only around 1 or 2 percent, and that is only if you already have artery disease.

Adverse effects from these drugs are well known and common, but are minimized in the reports.

Research on mice showed that they benefit less from exercise if they take these drugs. It is well known that they interfere with important processes in muscle cells.

And the long term effects of taking them are not known.
Why so late in crashing the party?

Old Today, 10:45 AM

16,170 posts, read 5,101,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why so late in crashing the party?
Party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness