U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 12:05 PM

962 posts, read 397,633 times

Advertisements

Just concluded a little experiment. My doctor has always told me to "fast" for lipids. But twice now when I fasted at the same time I was dieting... I had crazy high results.

Total Cholesterol over 280
LDL over 200.

I suspected dehydration and found a study on Pub Med that said dehydration causes increases of anywhere from 10 to 25% on cholesterol numbers.

So today I went back. I did nothing different but I didn't fast and was sure to be hydrated.

Total Cholesterol 237
LDL 154

These are normal numbers (if a bit low) for me.

A couple of points:
  1. My doctor wanted me on medications immediately both times she saw the LDL over 200. How many people end up on cholesterol medication for life because of being dehydrated?
  2. For some reason every time I have a lipid test, I must have a blood sugar and triglycerides test. Both of those do require fasting. MY triglycerides test and blood sugar were elevated because I wasn't fasting. Why do doctors do it this way? Honestly it seems they do it because these two tests will have something unfairly elevated no matter what you do... fast or not.

Finally shock of shock, despite my writing on the form that I hadn't been fasting... my results said I had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 12:09 PM

13,379 posts, read 7,135,232 times
Fasting doesn't mean to not drink water. Fasting is done to ensure a more standard comparison from one time you've tested to the next so it is not unduly influenced by what you've recently eaten.

No reason to be dehydrated before a fasting test - drink as much water as you want and you'll avoid the issue! Don't invent some crazy conspiracy where there is none.

And perhaps they are making it easier by combining two "fasting" tests on the same occasion so you won't be doubly inconvenienced - they're being NICE...go figger.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:28 PM

18,848 posts, read 6,160,004 times
I think I fasted once in all the years I've done labs...and always allowed for that issue. My labs are good...I've changed my foods drastically in the last 5+ yrs or so.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:11 PM

1,363 posts, read 655,288 times
Fasting gives you the more accurate results, but fasting doesn't mean dehydration. Always drink plenty of water when fasting.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:16 PM

21,505 posts, read 26,116,900 times
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...id-blood-tests

"This test may be measured any time of the day without fasting. However, if the test is drawn as part of a total lipid profile, it requires a 12-hour fast (no food or drink, except water). For the most accurate results, wait at least two months after a heart attack, surgery, infection, injury or pregnancy to check cholesterol levels."

Old 07-07-2018, 02:58 PM

13,379 posts, read 7,135,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I think I fasted once in all the years I've done labs...and always allowed for that issue. My labs are good...I've changed my foods drastically in the last 5+ yrs or so.
Fasting is not done to "make your labs 'good'" or to make them worse. As I said before, it is to make them more comparable from one time to the next - so you're comparing apples to apples, as it were and make any trends more apparent over time.

But you rarely listen to anything a doctor says, so why am I surprised? Actually, why did you even have labs done is the biggest question - I'm sure you disagree with their results so a huge waste of money.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:06 PM

21,505 posts, read 26,116,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Fasting is not done to "make your labs 'good'" or to make them worse. As I said before, it is to make them more comparable from one time to the next - so you're comparing apples to apples, as it were and make any trends more apparent over time.
That is also why you should not make drastic temporary changes in diet before having lipids tested. You might make the numbers look better, but they will not reflect what happens during your normal day to day diet.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:19 PM

962 posts, read 397,633 times
Quote:
Fasting doesn't mean to not drink water. Fasting is done to ensure a more standard comparison from one time you've tested to the next so it is not unduly influenced by what you've recently eaten.
Fasting makes you more dehydrated than you would otherwise be. Without sugar and salt water just goes in and goes out rarely doing much to your hydration status. Plus people tend just not to have that much time to get rehydrated if they get their labs done first thing in the morning.

ETA my doctor has never ONCE told me to be sure to drink enough water not to get dehydrated

Last edited by EmilyFoxSeaton; 07-07-2018 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: eta

Old 07-07-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:

But you rarely listen to anything a doctor says, so why am I surprised? Actually, why did you even have labs done is the biggest question - I'm sure you disagree with their results so a huge waste of money.
My labs are fine with my doctor and with me. And she does NOT call for fasting labs. She's my doctor, no one is on this group. thanks.

And what makes you "THINK" I don't listen to what my doctor says. You assume a lot. Amazing how so many assumptions from members here.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That is also why you should not make drastic temporary changes in diet before having lipids tested. You might make the numbers look better, but they will not reflect what happens during your normal day to day diet.
I have changed my overall eating habits in general, not just for labs!!!!! More assuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness