U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 PM

34,445 posts, read 42,586,575 times

Advertisements

If I post on here, and I have, it is to see if I can get first hand knowledge from others about something I’m going through. I’m not looking for medical assistance, but trying to avoid pitfalls.

For example, I have told more than one poster who complains about menopause about my unfortunate results from taking HRT. The dangers are real, and if I can prevent one person from getting a DVT then that is a good thing..

I also have solicited other’s experiences with joint replacement. I’m not asking for advice, I’m asking for their experiences in order to form my own opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 06:24 PM

84,906 posts, read 98,651,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sometimes your doctor offers a couple different alternatives with no clear preference so it makes sense to learn more about others' experiences. I would be likely to do it with relatively minor issues but it would be one additional source of information beyond the medical literature.
True, but that's not what mike1003 was referring to. I've seen it too, people with symptoms that sound very serious to me, and others giving advice that I feel is inappropriate. You see this on the Parenting forum, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I do not suffer from the delusion that doctors are any better at diagnosing anything than some random stranger on the street. There is a problem of motivation. Doctors don't have to be right and pay no consequences for being wrong. Further I think they hate most of their patients. So before going to them, as a last resort, I like to see what other's thoughts are. But typically I wouldn't be looking here at City Data alone... this would be one of a broad spectrum of things to consult.

In addition, I suffer from something that I am making a name up for.. super body sensitivity. For years now I have felt things more acutely than most and convinced myself I had a serious issue. Only to go to the doctor and had nothing wrong. I am sure there was "something" wrong or unusual, but in the weeds it can be hard to tell when I am actually in a dangerous situation and when I am oversensitive. Some times lay people who have suffered a mistake themselves can tell you a fact that lets you know you are not suffering from a serious issue. While doctors and nurses are so scared to be sued they will just say, go to the ER.

I think if more websites and doctors made an effort to have one "ah ha" symptom that your having or not having really told the tale.. would help. For instance that you aren't having a heart attack unless you have pain in the chest even if you arm hurts.

In addition photos would be helpful. For instance at one time in my life I got scared I had inflammatory breast cancer only to have an online person direct me to a photo and I could realize the issue was not at all the same as my issue. The descriptions on the websites were just unclear.
Wow, just wow! First of all, yes, doctors have many years of education and training behind their diagnoses, plus, if you go to the office (or have them come to you) they can see you. People here on CD have all sorts of backgrounds, do not have the advantage of even knowing you let alone seeing you. Doctors do not hate their patients, but I'm sure I could never convince you of that.

The problem with your "one 'ah-ha' symptom" is that it's not usually that simple. Many diseases/conditions have similar symptoms, and similar constellations of symptoms. Most viral diseases give you headache, muscle aches, and sometimes fever, cough, runny nose and the like.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-08-2018 at 06:34 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 06:38 PM

2,108 posts, read 778,375 times
Two reasons. One -- the prohibitive cost of getting 30 seconds of the ear of a doctor to give you a more medically sound answer. Two -- the medical websites like WebMD and Mayo are super-conservative copouts. They dangle medical information tantalizingly in front of you, and then when you really want to know something that will guide you, they say See a Doctor.

Much of the information on forums like this is either anecdotal or based on clickbait sourced information. But a person with some common sense can usually sift out some useful material. Often, a respondent to a thread will pass along explanations received from a doctor for the same condition, and the experience of following that doctor's treatment plan. Which is better than you can get from WebMD.

Also, doctors rarely know the outcome of their treatment. You have hernia surgery, the surgeon sends you home and never sees you again. Don't ask your doctor what to expect in your recovery -- ask me.

And don't get me started on doctors. They hand you a lab slip, the lab sends the doc the results, he looks at the underlined values that the lab says are out of normal range, and writes you a Rx (for which he gets perks from a drug company) to bring them back into range, and says come back in six months. You could look those lab result ranges up on line, if the lab would let you see them, but they won't. It remains gripped in the tight hands of the medical mafia. Not to paint every doctor with the same brush, there are good ones and bad ones. . But how can you know?

Last edited by cebuan; 07-08-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 06:49 PM

21,398 posts, read 25,996,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I do not suffer from the delusion that doctors are any better at diagnosing anything than some random stranger on the street. There is a problem of motivation. Doctors don't have to be right and pay no consequences for being wrong. Further I think they hate most of their patients. So before going to them, as a last resort, I like to see what other's thoughts are. But typically I wouldn't be looking here at City Data alone... this would be one of a broad spectrum of things to consult.

In addition, I suffer from something that I am making a name up for.. super body sensitivity. For years now I have felt things more acutely than most and convinced myself I had a serious issue. Only to go to the doctor and had nothing wrong. I am sure there was "something" wrong or unusual, but in the weeds it can be hard to tell when I am actually in a dangerous situation and when I am oversensitive. Some times lay people who have suffered a mistake themselves can tell you a fact that lets you know you are not suffering from a serious issue. While doctors and nurses are so scared to be sued they will just say, go to the ER.

I think if more websites and doctors made an effort to have one "ah ha" symptom that your having or not having really told the tale.. would help. For instance that you aren't having a heart attack unless you have pain in the chest even if you arm hurts.

In addition photos would be helpful. For instance at one time in my life I got scared I had inflammatory breast cancer only to have an online person direct me to a photo and I could realize the issue was not at all the same as my issue. The descriptions on the websites were just unclear.
I echo Katarina's sentiment. The idea that a physician with eight years of formal education, three or four years of residency and perhaps another couple of years of a subspecialty fellowship plus years of seeing thousands of patients does not know more than "some random stranger on the street" is ludicrous.

Doctors do not like to be wrong, they sometimes pay heavy financial penalties if they are, and if you think they "hate most of their patients" you are wrong. If you think your doctors dislike you it may be because you obviously have very little respect for them, and it probably shows.

That one "ah ha" symptom you want does not often exist. DH knows a lady whose only symptom of a heart attack was pain in her jaw. Her doctor caught it because he was very experienced and had seen it before. Some women having heart attacks may have nausea, dizziness, and sweating but not the classic crushing chest pain.

The medical term you are looking for that you call "super body sensitivity" is somatization.

Doctors and nurses will tell you to come to the office or go to the ER because there may be any number of different causes for the same symptoms and they cannot safely provide a diagnosis over the telephone.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:54 PM

84,906 posts, read 98,651,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Two reasons. One -- the prohibitive cost of getting 30 seconds of the ear of a doctor to give you a more medically sound answer. Two -- the medical websites like WebMD and Mayo are super-conservative copouts. They dangle medical information tantalizingly in front of you, and then when you really want to know something that will guide you, they say See a Doctor.

Much of the information on forums like this is either anecdotal or based on clickbait sourced information. But a person with some common sense can usually sift out some useful material. Often, a respondent to a thread will pass along explanations received from a doctor for the same condition, and the experience of following that doctor's treatment plan. Which is better than you can get from WebMD.

Also, doctors rarely know the outcome of their treatment. You have hernia surgery, the surgeon sends you home and never sees you again. Don't ask your doctor what to expect in your recovery -- ask me.

And don't get me started on doctors. They hand you a lab slip, the lab sends the doc the results, he looks at the underlined values that the lab says are out of normal range, and writes you a Rx (for which he gets perks from a drug company) to bring them back into range, and says come back in six months. You could look those lab result ranges up on line, if the lab would let you see them, but they won't. It remains gripped in the tight hands of the medical mafia. Not to paint every doctor with the same brush, there are good ones and bad ones. . But how can you know?
What is "common sense"? And this bit of passing along explanations from a doctor for the same condition, well who says it's the same condition. I'll say it again, different diseases/conditions can have similar or even the same symptoms. That's why, believe it or not, it's so hard to diagnose patients sometimes. I have never known anyone who had surgery and did not have at least one followup appointment.

Docs do not get "perks" from a drug company for prescribing, either. That's another "urban legend".

Old 07-08-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

Surgeons here do see their patients postop. At least one followup visit is usually included in the fee for the surgery.

US doctors no longer get perks from drug companies more than the cost of a modest meal.

You could try to interpret your own lab values. I prefer to get my doctor's opinion about mine.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:58 PM

18,593 posts, read 6,055,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The thread has a purpose...for people to share info, discuss common experiences etc. It's just worrisome that a few, on occasion, seem to come here first before considering contacting their MD or the ER.
We'll, just disagree on this thinking. Many and including myself would rather try to figure it out before running to a doc or run to an ER for something fairly minor. I know some here will say "why are you asking strangers on the internet, get to a doc"...lots less $$ and maybe more common sense than one will get with official trips and spending big money. There are times when one needs to go directly, that is certain.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:40 PM

2,060 posts, read 781,459 times
Ive wondered this myself. But I do understand some people do not have insurance and do not have enough money to see a doctor or ER. And there are people who do not want to see any doctor for any reason and try to justify it by checking it out in forums.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:33 PM

2,761 posts, read 979,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Surgeons here do see their patients postop. At least one followup visit is usually included in the fee for the surgery.

US doctors no longer get perks from drug companies more than the cost of a modest meal.

You could try to interpret your own lab values. I prefer to get my doctor's opinion about mine.
Bolded is untrue.

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

Old 07-08-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
That site has been discussed here before.

The doctors who have received a lot of money did so for inventing new drugs or medical devices. Some are paid for teaching.

Doctors are not receiving "perks" in exchange for writing prescriptions, aside from the cost of a modest meal to learn about a drug. They no longer even get advertising gimmicks like pens or coffee mugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or