U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 PM

1,965 posts, read 671,511 times

Advertisements

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...-for-doctors#1

The study says the perks are influencing their practice of medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 08:51 PM

1,965 posts, read 671,511 times
The Truth About Drug Companies

Doctors and drug companies - 2018

Old 07-08-2018, 09:16 PM

83,723 posts, read 96,829,756 times
^^A letter to the editor and a blog, both about opioids. Anything with the word "truth" in the title is generally anything but.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:38 PM

7,097 posts, read 5,075,920 times
Default Please come back on original topic:

This is the the original topic:

Quote:
I've seen lots of questions where posters are asking for serious help.

In the past few days, I've seen questions regarding symptoms what could have been a serious eye or stroke issue and a possible heart attack.

Most CDers have no professional training and give anecdotal information only.

Some talk about friends, or worse-friends of friends. And some posters jump on alt-med for everything

A few of us have professional degrees. I'm a pharmacist and I know there are quite a few nurses here. I can't remember a doctor answering a question

If something is wrong wit you, go to the emergency room or make an appointment with your doc.

Do not waste precious time here looking for non-answers

I can see asking questions regarding rehab and long term illnesses like diabetes and allergies. Time is not important for those

Old 07-08-2018, 09:41 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,384,378 times
People ask for medical, legal and other advice online hoping they’ll get professional advice for free. Not wise, but that’s why some do it. Caveat emptor...

Old 07-09-2018, 06:25 AM

4,757 posts, read 2,956,794 times
You mean like this thread?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...-any-ides.html

Shaking my head...

I don't understand the passivity. Aside from doing nothing about a mysterious medical issue, posting to C-D is the least effort one can make.

Three years ago I started having pain in my left leg. I went to my PCP, who misdiagnosed me because I was having trouble describing the location. He thought it was muscular and recommended PT. It takes six weeks around here until you can even start PT and by then I was in a lot of pain when using that leg and could no longer climb stairs. The therapist looked at my chart and said, "What, no imaging?" After one session I was writhing in pain when trying to do "clams."

I ended up going to Urgent Care as my PCP had been no help and was examined by a doctor who checked for cauda equina syndrome. Then she ordered an MRI, which showed a mass on my spinal cord, and a referral to a physiatrist, who ordered epidural injections to relieve the pain (they had no effect). He referred me to a neurosurgeon who scheduled surgery for two months out. It took me a full year to recover.

I'm fine now but if at any point in this process I had given up and resorted to the collective "knowledge" of the Internet -- which, let's face it, is mostly prejudice, ignorance and handed-down anecdotes -- I'd still be on the sofa every day trying to kill the pain with ice packs.

You have to be your own medical advocate. No one else will do it for you. If one doctor doesn't give you a satisfactory answer, go to another. And don't give up until the problem is solved or at least adequately understood.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:55 AM

20,616 posts, read 25,062,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The study says the perks are influencing their practice of medicine.
Let's see. A doctor who treats pain patients goes to a seminar about treating pain patients and then goes back to his office and writes prescriptions for pain meds. Totally illogical, eh?

It could not possibly have anything to do with wanting to learn how to use pain meds appropriately, could it?

Old 07-09-2018, 11:27 AM

3,317 posts, read 6,508,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No, not just asking treatment comparisons....I've had someone ask me if she should go to the doctor due to chest pain and one who asked should he call a hotline since he was suicidal...
So...people DO get help here.

BTW, doctors and allied health professionals don't always have the right answer. Some people here DO have extensive experience with their own or their family member or close friends' illnesses.

Buyer beware, that is always the case.

A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.
Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.

Ray Sipherd, special to CNBC.com
Published 9:31 AM ET Thu, 22 Feb 2018 Updated 9:39 AM ET Wed, 28 Feb 2018
CNBC.com

Emily Jerry was two years old when she lost her life after a pharmacy technician filled her intravenous bag with more than 20 times the recommended dose of sodium chloride.
Courtesy of Chris Jerry

On the morning of her final day of treatment, a pharmacy technician prepared the intravenous bag, filling it with more than 20 times the recommended dose of sodium chloride. Within hours Emily was on life support and declared brain dead.

Three days later she was gone.

Sadly, Emily's case is not unique.

Other studies report much higher figures, claiming the number of deaths from medical error to be as high as 440,000. The reason for the discrepancy is that physicians, funeral directors, coroners and medical examiners rarely note on death certificates the human errors and system failures involved. Yet death certificates are what the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention rely on to post statistics for deaths nationwide.

The authors of the Johns Hopkins study, led by Dr. Martin Makary of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, have appealed to the CDC to change the way in which it collects data from death certificates. To date, no changes have been made, Makary said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html

Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,642,644 times
I think people come here for the most part to see if they have any shared experiences. Its helpful to get information from people that have the same problems as ourselves.
Our medical system is broken. Not everyone has insurance and a lot of people that have insurance cannot afford the deductible. So naturally they are going to put off spending money they do not have if it is something they can handle on its own. The problem is when someone has symptoms of a possible health crisis and they look for answers here, when they really just need to go to the doctor ASAP.
There is so much conflicting information on these boards because most of us do not have a medical background, we just have experiences with doctors. There are a few here that think the health industry is one giant conspiracy trying to over medicate and take our money - and that is partially true. But that reasoning should not interfere with genuine health issues that NEED medical attention and/or prescribed medications.
I find it scary and humorous that a few here think they have the answers to almost every question yet have no formal medical training or background.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:20 PM

3,018 posts, read 1,086,358 times
I suspect some people decide to post a health question here partly because they are afraid of what a provider might tell them, including the unfortunate reality that their particular problem doesn't have a perfect solution. They'll have to adjust their life or lower their expectations. So, they are trying to dodge reality or at least put it off a little longer. They are hoping someone will provide that little miracle....one that is not only free or cheap, easily ordered anonymously from some carefully worded website, sitting unappreciated in a kitchen cupboard, doesn't involve a profession they don't want to deal with (or because they don't want to hear the lecture they already know the contents of), and also one that doesn't require them to change some inconvenient aspect of their life. Sure, it's partly wishful thinking, but that's understandable. Given a choice between a $10,000 surgery and drinking a gallon of $20 herbal tea which would many people prefer? I think the problem ends up being at what point does incredulity begin and end.

I remember finding a bottle of "fat-burning" weight loss pills while cleaning out my dad's home. He had been very overweight at a younger age. Of course he would see tv ads for these ridiculous things. He was also educated and intelligent enough to know exactly why he was overweight; he ate garbage and didn't exercise. The cure for his problem was right there in his own head, but he didn't want to admit that he was his biggest problem. He wanted the easy way out and no lecture. The least amount of commitment or effort. A miracle pill offered by some shill. Heck, it only cost him $35 for the extra large-sized bottle. Such a deal! Rants about the price always seems to be part of the attraction doesn't it? No one else might find out about it including his doctor. There is this childish little wish in all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or