U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Olympia area (for now)
1,057 posts, read 349,836 times
Reputation: 2056

Advertisements

I’d go somewhere fast if I had a bone break or high fever. For instance, if my arm just swelled up and was painful, first thing would be to search online for sites like Web MD or Mayo, I also use a lot of alternative medicine sites. Then, I might use C-D, where one person with my symptoms might go to the Dr, one might go to an alternative Dr and one might get good results by putting ice on and resting the arm. It would just give me options to consider for my own situation. My PPO accepts a good number of alternative practitioners, so the final decision to use a regular or alt Dr might come down to how soon I can get an apt. I don’t just lockstep to the Dr.

Last edited by Taz22; 07-09-2018 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2018, 10:20 PM
 
Location: AZ
589 posts, read 304,328 times
Reputation: 2406
People do the C-D bit because they are afraid and want to confide in someone. Going to a doctor is scary and sharing with someone makes it less so. There is anonymity as well. When one is drowning, one will reach for anything to stay afloat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Olympia area (for now)
1,057 posts, read 349,836 times
Reputation: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
People do the C-D bit because they are afraid and want to confide in someone. Going to a doctor is scary and sharing with someone makes it less so. There is anonymity as well. When one is drowning, one will reach for anything to stay afloat.

You seem to think the reason that people ask for advise is because they are fearful and desperate. People talk and network, itís just that simple. Itís natural for people to want to form groups to discuss their symptoms. As a person who has sold health insurance for years I can tell you that various groups, especially seniors, are very well informed on treatments and drugs. You better believe they network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,269 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
You seem to think the reason that people ask for advise is because they are fearful and desperate. People talk and network, it’s just that simple. It’s natural for people to want to form groups to discuss their symptoms. As a person who has sold health insurance for years I can tell you that various groups, especially seniors, are very well informed on treatments and drugs. You better believe they network.
Thanks for clarifying the reason so many come here. We do not really expect to get a correct diagnoses. Some are making way too much out of this. Anyone who thinks they can get a accurate diagnoses here would turn to someplace else if we didn't have CD. Most know this isn't a forum or giving medical advise.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-10-2018 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,269 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38627
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No, not just asking treatment comparisons....I've had someone ask me if she should go to the doctor due to chest pain and one who asked should he call a hotline since he was suicidal...
But that is extremely rare and those are the same type of people that would turn to some other means to ask questions. most are not expecting to find answers, they just want to see how others have handled a similar situation or what treatment should be expected. It is like any help group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Olympia area (for now)
1,057 posts, read 349,836 times
Reputation: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks for clarifying the reason so many come here. We do not really expect to get a correct diagnoses. Some are making way too much out of this. Anyone who thinks they can get a accurate diagnoses here would turn to someplace else if we didn't have CD. Most know this isn't a forum or giving medical advise.
Thanks nmnita, and couldnít agree more. I donít get this delving for motives, since asking for advise is something people normally do. Maybe some of the posters are upset because they think that only a Dr should give advise. I think the more a person knows about their condition, the better it is for them. Knowledge is power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,269 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Thanks nmnita, and couldnít agree more. I donít get this delving for motives, since asking for advise is something people normally do. Maybe some of the posters are upset because they think that only a Dr should give advise. I think the more a person knows about their condition, the better it is for them. Knowledge is power.
I think a good example of us just discussing our ailments is within our social groups. I am pretty involved for my age and do get together a few times every week with friends. If one of us suddenly has an ailment and knows another in our group has just gone through a similar situation we will ask what their doctor had to say or whatever. That doesn't mean we follow their advise, We just want to get, maybe another view. I know when I had knee replacement 3 plus years ago, I talked to everyone I knew about their experiences. I still followed my doctors advise but it was, sometimes reassuring to hear how others reacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Olympia area (for now)
1,057 posts, read 349,836 times
Reputation: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think a good example of us just discussing our ailments is within our social groups. I am pretty involved for my age and do get together a few times every week with friends. If one of us suddenly has an ailment and knows another in our group has just gone through a similar situation we will ask what their doctor had to say or whatever. That doesn't mean we follow their advise, We just want to get, maybe another view. I know when I had knee replacement 3 plus years ago, I talked to everyone I knew about their experiences. I still followed my doctors advise but it was, sometimes reassuring to hear how others reacted.
Thatís how you learn. And as far as things like knee replacement, there are options. Hearing that two of your friends had bad results with what youíre considering, might prompt you to look at other things. Glad your knee replacement went well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, Ca
5,734 posts, read 3,183,522 times
Reputation: 13471
City-Data care.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,144 posts, read 6,332,122 times
Reputation: 12709
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think a good example of us just discussing our ailments is within our social groups. I am pretty involved for my age and do get together a few times every week with friends. If one of us suddenly has an ailment and knows another in our group has just gone through a similar situation we will ask what their doctor had to say or whatever. That doesn't mean we follow their advise, We just want to get, maybe another view. I know when I had knee replacement 3 plus years ago, I talked to everyone I knew about their experiences. I still followed my doctors advise but it was, sometimes reassuring to hear how others reacted.
Commiseration, if nothing else, perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top