Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
I use to believe this, then I had some very real world experience with our pharma backed drug dealers, I mean doctors.

DW went in for some depression issues. The psychiatrist loaded her up on xanax and gabapentin.

Six months go by, crisis averted and DW was ready to come off the pills. The psychiatrist put her on a three day taper plan.

Massive fail, her primary tells her she's gonna have to ride it out.

DW ended up in a psychiatric hospital for 24 hours until they could get her back to the pre taper level.

I started researching the "pill" industry.... and the medical professional is either willfully ignorant or have the same morals as your run of the mill drug dealer.

We choose to pay a private MD cash to facilitate a long term taper plan.....

Her doctor's have never heard of anyone having problems getting off the "meds".
Really, doctors, took me two minutes of searching online and have found forums dedicated to mess these pills
have created.

So when it comes to a doctor with eight years of formal education, three years of residency and all that experience pushing pills all I nned to remember is to "FOLLOW THE MONEY".
Was that "private MD" not a medical doctor?

Your anecdote is just that, and cannot be taken as proof that the entire medical profession, or even just psychiatrists, does not know what it is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 07:39 PM

500 posts, read 359,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Was that "private MD" not a medical doctor?

Your anecdote is just that, and cannot be taken as proof that the entire medical profession, or even just psychiatrists, does not know what it is doing.
LOL. I really believe the medical profe$$ion knows exactly what it i$ doing.

The medical profe$$ional$ are the tran$portation $y$tem$ for big pharma.

You know big pharma , they are the one$ being $ued by over 100 citie$, countie$ and $tate$ for their apparent mi$repre$entation of the garbage they peddle on u$.

I am not against medical doctor$, just had hernia $urgery.

I have awoken from my Ambien induced stupor and now realize "DO NO HARM" means different things to different people.

The medical profession sold us out in this area.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:40 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Or they give the same advice regardless of the question. Lots of that on C-D from those with agendas.

You mean the frequent poster who ALWAYS pops up to scare people about the tendon damage she experienced from fluoroquinolone antibiotics (Cipro, Levaquin, etc) but never thinks to mention that only a small subset of people experience it?

Millions owe their lives to those drugs, me included.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:33 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I've seen lots of questions where posters are asking for serious help.

In the past few days, I've seen questions regarding symptoms what could have been a serious eye or stroke issue and a possible heart attack.

Most CDers have no professional training and give anecdotal information only.

Some talk about friends, or worse-friends of friends. And some posters jump on alt-med for everything

A few of us have professional degrees. I'm a pharmacist and I know there are quite a few nurses here. I can't remember a doctor answering a question

If something is wrong wit you, go to the emergency room or make an appointment with your doc.

Do not waste precious time here looking for non-answers

I can see asking questions regarding rehab and long term illnesses like diabetes and allergies. Time is not important for those
Try going to the doctor for over 50 years with horrible symptoms caused by working with chemicals in a printing factory in the 1960s and being told to take pills for depressions. sinus problems, anti biotics and hay fever pills.. No one knew or pretended not to know what I suffered from so it took Allergy Uk and the AAA Action Against Allergies, Diana Buckland in Australia and the internet to determine what was wrong with me.... so please dont tell me and others to see a doctor to get the proper attention as Ive had none in all the years of having M.C.S.. not one has even said they know of it.. I had to insist on patch testing which showed up all cleaners, paint perfumes. diesel, petrol. in fact every petro chemical based damn thing you can think of... Even with the proof from the NHS I still cant get help.. so we try and control and help things ourselves...I dont give a damn if your Einstein.. you cant help me.. so Im left to do it on my own as best I can.... Doctors dont even know about Leaky Gut or how to help it. hopeless. Numbing pills are given to mental patients who might be helped greatly by vitamin supplements instead of being brain dead but this is what doctors prescribe...

Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
We ask and search for alternative help as no damn bugger is listening... but friends on Data do.... there are clever people on here who think outside the box... wish some doctors would...seems they cant get their heads out the sand long enough .

Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 AM

129 posts, read 101,770 times
The same can be asked on many forums on the internet which asks strangers who do not know you for advice on things that will affect your life. Stuff like should I get a divorce? Is my wife cheating? I have pain in the left side of my body, what does that mean?

I seldom ask questions on forums because no one knows me personally and is only hearing my side of the story or my interpretation of the illness or problem.

Everyone has an opinion. The trick is to figure out which are informed opinions and which are not. Those which are not informed opinions are taken as entertainment. The informed opinions deserve some consideration. However, any important decision you make in life should never be taken from information by random strangers on the internet.

So why do people post these problems and why do we answer. Posting problems allows you to vent. It also allows you to put your thoughts in order. It makes you feel that you are doing something, but not necessarily the only thing.

Why do we answer? Personally I tend to answer questions about things I have personal experience with. So do others. Some are just killing time. Others always have an opinion on everything while many truly want to be of some help or offer guidance. We all have our own reasons for replying to posts.

When I post a reply I am responding to the poster and to no one else. I am sure that most do the same. Yet there are those who attack the person responding to the OP because it runs contra to their own opinion and the thread turns into a I know better than you do type of thing with people attacking each other and the OP left with few responses to his/her post but many attacking the people replying. I think that many of us realize that ad hominem attacks are the lowest form of proving your point. It reflects badly on those doing it, and shows that their opinion is weak and cannot be defended by fact. Speaking of fact, many people think that that if they believe something, it is fact. My wife is that way. She will fight to the death for a 'fact' simply because she heard it from a friend and it falls within her own belief system.

On the internet you can find proof to support any 'fact' you have, literally, so do not defend your facts to the death or vilify others for supporting their own facts. Offer help when you think it is helpful and do so with the OP in mind and not the replies of others. We all know someone who talks for the simple reason that they like to talk no matter what they say. We also know people who think they are right and will not entertain that maybe they are not right. Then there are the trolls who are trying to stir things up or trying to see how many replies they can get.

My last profession was as a Chief Information Officer and in that capacity I took many classes and seminars about the internet and the free information contained in it. It is still estimated that 60% of the "facts" presented on the internet is false in whole or in part. There are many self appointed experts whose expertise is limited to what they read someone else post who read it from yet another old post.

I view all of this as simply shooting the breeze with a bunch of people you just met and enjoying the conversation. Provide advice if that advice has helped me or others and provide informed opinions for consideration. I am not here or there to put down what others think or believe, I simply express my own opinion and let whoever is interested make up their own mind. I just enjoy conversing with people, not arguing.

Last edited by vinnyfl; 07-11-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
We ask and search for alternative help as no damn bugger is listening... but friends on Data do.... there are clever people on here who think outside the box... wish some doctors would...seems they cant get their heads out the sand long enough .
If the allopathic MD's got their heads out of the sand, they don't get the paychecks they make and I know there are MD's out there, one specifically in my town, who went outside the big box and his medical license was taken away. That's the power of AMA. He's now working as a naturopath and close to totally retiring but he went thru hail and back to help his patients with all he knew. He had a huge practice for many years.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:30 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You mean the frequent poster who ALWAYS pops up to scare people about the tendon damage she experienced from fluoroquinolone antibiotics (Cipro, Levaquin, etc) but never thinks to mention that only a small subset of people experience it?

Millions owe their lives to those drugs, me included.
+1. The same unproven story 1000 times over.

Also, the 1000s of relatives that have had every ailment ever known to man starting in the 1800s.

Don't like doctors/meds, quit bitching and don't go or take meds. All problems solved.

We can read their "I never took meds-look at me!" hero obits after they are found weeks later in their own decomp.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:19 PM

296 posts, read 265,694 times
I think people become anxious and hope to decrease their angst by reading venting about their symptoms and also hope to find a kindred spirit or two who might be experiencing the same thing.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:10 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if this has already been addressed. But I think a lot of people try to avoid doctors or hospitals because of cost. Even if someone has insurance, an ER visit or tests can cost thousands of dollars. Folks are afraid that they can't afford it.

Also, people just don't trust doctors. I'm one of them. I used to trust them, until I got sick. For every good doctor I ran across, there were two who were horrible. I had 5, yes FIVE, doctors flat out refuse to test me for what I though I had. It's a simple, inexpensive blood test covered by my insurance. They tested me for everything else, but refused to test me for the one thing I ended up actually having. I had an endocrinologist say they could tell, "Just by looking at me," that I didn't have thyroid issues (guess what? I did). after a different endo actually did the tests for thyroid function, it was found to be quite far out of whack. I could go on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness