Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:32 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I come here hoping to convince someone to seek real help
So I guess from your point, everyone should camp out at the doctors.

I've sought real help, as you call it, and ended up in the ER with side effects from the "real" help in this so called real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 04:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Most posters are looking for reassurance that their problem (s) aren't serious. Like whistling in the dark, sort of. Many people have ZERO knowledge of disease processes, supplement scams, what is serious vs what is not.

Others are looking for advice on what helped get through the treatment as many doctors don't have time/don't know what might help

Old 07-08-2018, 04:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I don't think many seriously look for answers on here. Perhaps look for others that have had similar experiences and what they did to treat the problem. There is no substitute for seeing a qualified physician in person and I believe most go that route.
Some may be looking for confirmation of what they think they have. Not my experience that most go the physician route, at least not right off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I've sought real help, as you call it, and ended up in the ER with side effects from the "real" help in this so called real world.
Oh, come now, jamin! If someone is asking for help, they have a problem they want addressed. I've worked phone triage in a doctor's office. I've encountered patients who don't want to come in, no matter what. All you can do at that point is document that you advised seeing the doctor. I've also encountered patients who wanted you to tell them to come in when they didn't really need to. If that's what they want, they can make an appointment.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
I came here once asking for the number for 911 because I didn't know what it was.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:29 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Crap happens. Sorry it happened to you.

What you are saying can, and does, happen. But, thankfully not often.

I have three close friends, all three are doctors, who are Directors of Patient Safety at major hospitals. One in Ohio, one in California and one in Kentucky. I just texted two and called one and asked how common "side effects of 'real' help" are. All three said very rare, but it happens.

As I've said here before, everyone is different. Everyone reacts to meds and treatments differently.

I am not going to be dragged into another ping pong post fight with you, so this is last time I will answer you in this thread

Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Some may be looking for confirmation of what they think they have. Not my experience that most go the physician route, at least not right off.

Oh, come now, jamin! If someone is asking for help, they have a problem they want addressed. I've worked phone triage in a doctor's office. I've encountered patients who don't want to come in, no matter what. All you can do at that point is document that you advised seeing the doctor. I've also encountered patients who wanted you to tell them to come in when they didn't really need to. If that's what they want, they can make an appointment.
We're talking about help here on H&W. I've asked opinions mostly on knee issues and everything else I work out myself or try to or head to the doctor. For me, I seem to handle my issues good...could be if one lives long enough they've gained more life experiences. I'm not asked for help on H&W as I'm very alt med.

I love to help myself as much as I can. We have so much info at our fingertips, just need to "do it".

Old 07-08-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Crap happens. Sorry it happened to you.

What you are saying can, and does, happen. But, thankfully not often.

I have three close friends, all three are doctors, who are Directors of Patient Safety at major hospitals. One in Ohio, one in California and one in Kentucky. I just texted two and called one and asked how common "side effects of 'real' help" are. All three said very rare, but it happens.

As I've said here before, everyone is different. Everyone reacts to meds and treatments differently.

I am not going to be dragged into another ping pong post fight with you, so this is last time I will answer you in this thread
I'm not dragging you into anything. You asked the question, members are replying. I think we are clear about our thinkings and doings. What I do mostly on H&W is post info that maybe get the members thinking.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:49 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Sometimes your doctor offers a couple different alternatives with no clear preference so it makes sense to learn more about others' experiences. I would be likely to do it with relatively minor issues but it would be one additional source of information beyond the medical literature.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:52 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
A few of us have professional degrees. I'm a pharmacist and I know there are quite a few nurses here. I can't remember a doctor answering a question
I do not suffer from the delusion that doctors are any better at diagnosing anything than some random stranger on the street. There is a problem of motivation. Doctors don't have to be right and pay no consequences for being wrong. Further I think they hate most of their patients. So before going to them, as a last resort, I like to see what other's thoughts are. But typically I wouldn't be looking here at City Data alone... this would be one of a broad spectrum of things to consult.

In addition, I suffer from something that I am making a name up for.. super body sensitivity. For years now I have felt things more acutely than most and convinced myself I had a serious issue. Only to go to the doctor and had nothing wrong. I am sure there was "something" wrong or unusual, but in the weeds it can be hard to tell when I am actually in a dangerous situation and when I am oversensitive. Some times lay people who have suffered a mistake themselves can tell you a fact that lets you know you are not suffering from a serious issue. While doctors and nurses are so scared to be sued they will just say, go to the ER.

I think if more websites and doctors made an effort to have one "ah ha" symptom that your having or not having really told the tale.. would help. For instance that you aren't having a heart attack unless you have pain in the chest even if you arm hurts.

In addition photos would be helpful. For instance at one time in my life I got scared I had inflammatory breast cancer only to have an online person direct me to a photo and I could realize the issue was not at all the same as my issue. The descriptions on the websites were just unclear.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:08 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
The thread has a purpose...for people to share info, discuss common experiences etc. It's just worrisome that a few, on occasion, seem to come here first before considering contacting their MD or the ER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness